Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be sure to share my thoughts on the CR-V Hybrid when I get it, hopefully before the end of March. It was a chore to find a dealer who was getting any of them in Touring trim (or any at all) and wouldn't charge above sticker. It's not like this is a limited edition trim level or exotic vehicle.... A little frustrating to me but I guess it's the business.

It took some work to get them to give me what I felt I deserved on my trade. I am just shy of 26,000 miles and have no cosmetic or mechanical issues. No dings, dents, scrapes, or scratches, and interior is spotless. I felt it was in like new condition and I wanted the trade in price to reflect that. It took several hours and lots of discussion but I finally got to where I wanted to be and almost broke even on the car.... lost less than a $1,000 vs what I owed on it and I can live with that. I hate buying cars, I don't like all the games and all the run around... It's a hassle. I'm just relieved that it's over with and that it worked out in my favor.

It was a really hard decision as I was and still am REALLY happy with my Insight! It's one of the nicest cars I've ever had and it has done everything I asked it to do and expected out of it, sad to see it go!

If you know anyone looking for a spare tire and jack kit for the insight, or a civic for that matter, let me know! ;)
Might keep the Honda OEM all weather mats out of it too if someone is interested in those.
I tested a Touring this morning. For an EX They offered 16k for my car, 6% interest, zero down, $475/month for 72 months (31000 for EX).

I was happy with the power. We went up a mountain and it didn’t moan and groan and I barely needed to step on the gas. It was curvy so I was only able to go about 28 mph. It handled curves well and loved the power seats. I didn’t even need my pillow to see.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good to hear that it's quieter under load than the Insight. What are your thoughts on the infotainment screen? I'm not a huge fan of stepping back to the older version than what is in our insights, but I guess it's a small price to pay for all the extra room you get in the CR-V.

I'm not sure what MSRP is for an EX, but that's what I got kinda stuck with paying. Touring MSRP plus the dealer fee and the standard add on's that they put on every car (window etching, tint, locking lug nuts, nitrogen filled tires, door edge guards, among other things). I tried to get out of all of those things seeing as they don't even have the car yet, but it didn't work.

While waiting for the finance guy, I was actually able to get pre-approved through my bank for 1.9%. Just waiting on the dealer to get the VIN number so we can draw up paper work to send to the lender.

Hope the vehicle comes in soon.... I'm a little more excited after hearing your positive review. Thanks for that!

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
I'm sure the extra 60 hp in the CR-V Hybrid makes it feel punchier than the Insight, even though it's 500 lbs heavier. ;)

The CR-V Hybrid AWD EX provides the most engine power out of all 2020 CR-V models. The main 'complaint' from Edmunds reviews is the CR-V's infotainment system is "behind the times."

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
The CRV Hybrid has more horsepower and torque than the turbo CRV without needing to worry about engine oil dilution. It's using the same setup as the Accord Hybrid with the addition of AWD. I don't think real world fuel economy will match EPA estimates if I were to go by Accord Hybrid owner complaints but I think buyers wanting a reliable powerful CRV will drive up demand for the Hybrid version.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't think real world fuel economy will match EPA estimates if I were to go by Accord Hybrid owner complaints but I think buyers wanting a reliable powerful CRV will drive up demand for the Hybrid version.
I am with you on this! I don't see the CR-V Hybrid getting the mileage that is advertised especially on the highway number. I know from past experiences in the Insight, highway trips at 75-ish mph result in 38-40 mpg. Even worse mileage if you are fighting the wind, but that's with all cars.

I'm going to try and have high hopes while still fully expecting the mileage to be less than advertised. I'll keep you posted once I take delivery and get some miles put on it. I'll also be sure to notate what the car says he MPG averaged out to be VS what the math states the mileage to be.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CRV Hybrid has more horsepower and torque than the turbo CRV without needing to worry about engine oil dilution. It's using the same setup as the Accord Hybrid with the addition of AWD. I don't think real world fuel economy will match EPA estimates if I were to go by Accord Hybrid owner complaints but I think buyers wanting a reliable powerful CRV will drive up demand for the Hybrid version.
That is one of my concerns too. I’m only getting an estimated 8 mpg more then gas. Plus I don’t need the AWD. But buying a gas I will be about half mpg that I’m getting on the Insight which is painful.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do we know oil dilution won’t be a problem? It still uses gas and oil...

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
The oil dilution has never been with the 2.0 engine, only the 1.5 turbo. The 2.0 engine is the exact same out of the current generation Accord Hybrid and I myself have never heard of oil dilution from that setup. I am not concerned about oil dilution from this 2.0 engine but I’d be slightly concerned if I were to purchase the 1.5 turbo gas only model.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
Here is comparison of CR-V engine specs, for quick reference. The 'conventional' CR-V maintains turbocharger and direct injection. The 'hybrid' CR-V does not have turbocharger and uses port injection.

Honda lists the specs for both on the same page, which make it hard to read. But only the top section refers to the conventional engine, and the bottom section refers to the hybrid engine.

CONVENTIONAL 2020 CR-V (engine specs)

HYBRID 2020 CR-V (engine specs)

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Another Honda spec sheet showing the 2020 CRV Hybrid with Port Fuel Injection(same as Accord Hybrid/Insight/Clarity).

Port injection systems spray the fuel on the backside of the intake valve and the fuel has to wait till the valve opens. The fuel sprayed on the backside of the intake valves, also cleans the valves.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was able to take delivery of mine yesterday evening! It rides really smooth and the powertrain is SO quiet! Even accelerating onto the interstate, you can hear it but it is very subtle when compared to my Insight. Very little wind noise and peppy, responsive drivetrain. Transition between gas and electric is just as seamless as the Insight, which I really enjoy! During my test driving of vehicles, I did test out a Rav4 Hybrid Limited and that transition was not as seamless as the Honda Hybrid system. Toyota system felt noticeable and you could hear the engine suddenly start.

As for mileage, trip computer is estimating 40.1 MPG with about 130 miles on the ODO. Will keep ya posted on actual MPGs as I get more miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
I was able to take delivery of mine yesterday evening! It rides really smooth and the powertrain is SO quiet! Even accelerating onto the interstate, you can hear it but it is very subtle when compared to my Insight. Very little wind noise and peppy, responsive drivetrain. Transition between gas and electric is just as seamless as the Insight, which I really enjoy! During my test driving of vehicles, I did test out a Rav4 Hybrid Limited and that transition was not as seamless as the Honda Hybrid system. Toyota system felt noticeable and you could hear the engine suddenly start.

As for mileage, trip computer is estimating 40.1 MPG with about 130 miles on the ODO. Will keep ya posted on actual MPGs as I get more miles on it.
Notice any differences on CR-V Hybrid versus Insight, in terms of regeneration and/or HV battery charge level?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts