Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently developed this problem while using a ACC. When the car breaks in ACC and it gets to about under 30mph, I can hear this creaking on the left side of my car. It’s not loud but I notice it and it only happens when ACC is engaged and not while driving normally without ACC.

I’m close to 89,000 miles and dealership wants 160 for diagnostic fee, which they would charge it as.

It’s weird that it only happens under ACC usage. I’m taking my car in Friday for an oil change and a transmission fluid flush, but I declined the diagnostic.

any ideas? I was thinking let them do the oil change and transmission fluid and they will do the free multi point inspection and maybe they might catch something during the inspection. If not, my back up plan was to take it to an independent Honda mechanic and maybe they can check it out for me for free, Or at least a lot less than 160.I know a couple of mechanics that are really good with Hondas but I don’t know a lot that are familiar with Honda Sensing. Although it might just be mechanical and a typical Honda mechanic can figure it out.

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
So I recently developed this problem while using a ACC. When the car breaks in ACC and it gets to about under 30mph, I can hear this creaking on the left side of my car. It’s not loud but I notice it and it only happens when ACC is engaged and not while driving normally without ACC.
Maybe it's caused by ACC braking technique and driving speed, compared to your own since it only happens in ACC versus regular driving.

Conditions some have observed with brake squeak/creak have mostly been under regular driving (vs ACC), when releasing brake slowly, at low speeds, and in reverse. Some have also noticed brake squeak while turning/steering. Maybe ACC driving style creates this combination of conditions and subsequent creaking, while your own normal driving does not (?).

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,300 Posts
I had an annoying "tik" that drove me nuts for a few miles last week. I had parked outside in rain and brought my car into the garage (with cold, wet brakes) the next morning where it sat for a few days. Apparently I had surface rust and a stuck pad. When I backed out of the garage, I first had a loud bang, after which, the tik started. It matched rotational speed, so I knew it likely involved the brakes. After a few miles, I did a very hard panic stop in hopes of clearing the problem. It worked. The brake system in our Insights favors regen over friction, so our brakes are lightly used. The hard stop finally removed all the surface rust from the rotors.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It did rain a few weeks ago here in SoCal but I garage my car every night. I’ll have the techs check out the rotors..I also noticed it only creeks when ACC is braking lightly behind the car in front of me in street traffic. When I brake normally in street traffic, I think it might be a little bit harder than ACC, hence the reason why I don’t hear the creaking or it has to do with the way ACC applies the brakes.

But it’s more of a creek than a tick..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This might be one of those inconsistent problems.. I just tested it a little while ago and no creaking.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It's normal.. It's the servo system working your brakes. There are two hydraulic systems on this car, the main master brake cylinder, and a servo one.. The servo one is used in 99 percent of driving situations and while driving manually does not make any audible noise normally... During ACC operation, it is being driven by a computer and will make more noises. It's normal - no worries. I noticed it right away when I got my car. I have 58,000 miles on it now.

@insightfully Do you remember where the links to some of the technical papers were? There was a white paper on the brake system there.

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
It's normal.. It's the servo system working your brakes. There are two hydraulic systems on this car, the main master brake cylinder, and a servo one.. The servo one is used in 99 percent of driving situations and while driving manually does not make any audible noise normally... During ACC operation, it is being driven by a computer and will make more noises. It's normal - no worries. I noticed it right away when I got my car. I have 58,000 miles on it now.

@insightfully Do you remember where the links to some of the technical papers were? There was a white paper on the brake system there.
Cross-reference to links are below:
- White Papers (incl Servo Braking Development) - eCVT vs CVT
- Honda Fit Servo Brake Comparison1 - My Insight braked by itself!!
- Honda Fit Servo Brake Comparison 2 - New Car on Friday. Tow truck on Saturday.
- Prius Servo Brake Comparison - Paddles vs Brakes
- Friction Braking - When does Friction Braking kick in?

·
Registered
16 Posts

I’m close to 89,000 miles and dealership wants 160 for diagnostic fee, which they would charge it as.

It’s weird that it only happens under ACC usage. I’m taking my car in Friday for an oil change and a transmission fluid flush, but I declined the diagnostic.

any ideas? I was thinking let them do the oil change and transmission fluid and they will do the free multi point inspection and maybe they might catch something during the inspection. If not, my back up plan was to take it to an independent Honda mechanic and maybe they can check it out for me for free, Or at least a lot less than 160.I know a couple of mechanics that are really good with Hondas but I don’t know a lot that are familiar with Honda Sensing. Although it might just be mechanical and a typical Honda mechanic can figure it out.
My 2019 has always done this since it was new. I now have 124,000 miles and there has never been an issue bc of it. I think it is not even something wrong but has something to do with whatever actuator system they use to "press" the brake "pedal" (its all electronic) while self braking. To me it is similar to ABS sound but less frequent and more mechanical clicks. It is probably normal for a car that uses some kind continuously variable actuator system to brake by itself, but this is the first one i have had that stops itself. It's def not broken - don't waste your money they will prob just say change the brake fluid (and i did that when the maintenance minder asked me to and it still clicks)!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts