Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started using cruise control and now it’s all I use. I would say around 95% of the time because I feel it keeps that needle
Closer to the green than I could. I still cancel it like when getting off the highway go Into sport with three left pedal hits to recharge faster . Anyway yes the dangerous flaw . Happened to me 3 times now . Driving In the right lane going 70mph . I know you will ask so yes I only
Have the distance set to 1 car length. I’m using my cruise control. When I drive by anyone who gets off the exit my car goes crazy and brakes like
There is someone in front of me. Thankfully the few times this has happened there was no one behind me . I would say the exiting highway car was 2-4 car lengths away . The car slows me down at least 10mph very quickly

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I recently started using cruise control and now it’s all I use. I would say around 95% of the time because I feel it keeps that needle
Closer to the green than I could. I still cancel it like when getting off the highway go Into sport with three left pedal hits to recharge faster . Anyway yes the dangerous flaw . Happened to me 3 times now . Driving In the right lane going 70mph . I know you will ask so yes I only
Have the distance set to 1 car length. I’m using my cruise control. When I drive by anyone who gets off the exit my car goes crazy and brakes like
There is someone in front of me. Thankfully the few times this has happened there was no one behind me . I would say the exiting highway car was 2-4 car lengths away . The car slows me down at least 10mph very quickly
Maybe the car slowing down to exit is still in the field of view of the radar sensor?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is there a way to shut off the advanced cruise and just use the regular cruise? I found even the shortest distance way too far away. It was so annoying, I shut it off.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Is there a way to shut off the advanced cruise and just use the regular cruise? I found even the shortest distance way too far away. It was so annoying, I shut it off.
Yep, you can have it on regular cruise.

Instructions for that start at 2:24 in the video above.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
3:08 to 3:15 of the above video may also provide comment/context to the breaking issue @Magikhat wrote about, when driving by exiting cars: "[ACC] may mistake [...] vehicles beside you as preceding vehicles, especially on curves."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I will just turn off the acc next time I’m on the highway. It is fun to use that feature on back roads under 50mph. If the car is going slower than my cruise it works great keeping me 1 car length behind without having to do anything but steer

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks. I will just turn off the acc next time I’m on the highway. It is fun to use that feature on back roads under 50mph. If the car is going slower than my cruise it works great keeping me 1 car length behind without having to do anything but steer
If I see someone getting off to turn left or right in front of me, I usually goose the accelerator pedal just a bit to prevent it from slowing down or hitting the brakes too hard.. After it stops tracking that car, it resumes it's normal operation. Just have to learn to drive with it..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine has slammed on the brakes more than I care to count. If we are going to have and use this type of technology it should be able to "see" or detect that your not actually on a collision course with the exiting vehicle. It is a dangerous situation. It will be only a matter of time until someone gets hit because the car slammed on the brakes while driving on the highway. But then again I doubt it would make the news if it ever did happen. Car companies don't want this type of collision in the news. This technology is still in its infancy in my opinion.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Fair observation about the infancy of the technology, but I would like to point out not all cars with this same tech exhibit this amount of trouble. The insight seems especially apt to acc, lds, and various other radar, camera inconsistencies. I've ranted a lot about this in the past.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think that the ACC setting is time based and not distance based. I noticed that at higher speeds, the same setting will manage a greater distance to the car ahead. 1 bar ~ 1 second, 2 ~ seconds, etc. It will also slow you down sooner if the car ahead is traveling significantly slower than you.
My experience with ACC on freeway curves while passing has not been great either. I'll use ACC in rural areas, but not really anywhere else.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I think that the ACC setting is time based and not distance based. I noticed that at higher speeds, the same setting will manage a greater distance to the car ahead. 1 bar ~ 1 second, 2 ~ seconds, etc. It will also slow you down sooner if the car ahead is traveling significantly slower than you.
Confirming that interval is time-based. See attached page from Manual which shows same time per interval in seconds, independent of set speed. The actual stopping distance difference is based on speed traveled within the time interval.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
My experience with ACC on freeway curves while passing has not been great either. I'll use ACC in rural areas, but not really anywhere else.
Yep, that’s how it works.
6CEAE67C-F3D5-479E-8967-9D949F7ED4A9.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts