Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Current Tire Wear (30K mile update)

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  andrew28 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all!

After 16,474 miles with my Insight, I thought I'd update everyone on my tire wear. I've been running my tires at 40psi since new, and I rotate them every 5-6K miles. Today was rotation day (along with hand car wash with my new foam cannon). Attached is a photo my my right-front tire tread. The wear seems even. Although it appears the middle of the tire is closer to the wear indicators, it's an optical illusion due to the camera angle. All four wear indicators show the same depth. After this many miles, I feel confident that running at 40psi does not invoke excess tire wear.

If you don't do it, please rotate your tires. The Insight's TPMS monitor uses wheel rotation speed and harmonics to determine a pressure mismatch. A difference in wear between front/rear/left/right could cause an alert. Also, rotation time is a good time to break out the Mother's Wheel and Tire cleaner to clean up the backside of your wheels along with the visible side. Make sure you have a decent torque wrench when putting the wheels back on. I was stupid with my old Civic and sheared a stud off one time. I set the Harbor Freight click-type torque wrench at 90# now and haven't had an issue.

As for the stock Michelin tires, I would definitely buy them again when the time comes. They've been great in wet and dry conditions - even with the higher pressures. I'm able to avoid snow, so that's not an issue for me.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I was happy to find out my EX Insight came with Michelin tires where as before my Civic/CRV came with Bridgestone and the Ford Fusion had Goodyear. Anybody know the reason for the 2 psi difference between front and rear tires? Do you have the front at 40psi/38psi in the rear or all 4 tires at 40psi @hasarad?

#11 ·
Tire wear update on the stock EX Michelins:

20,500 miles and tread depth is at 7/32". Pretty much on schedule. Wear was uniform across the tire, so running at 40psi hasn't appeared to have any adverse effects.

Curious and need a tread depth gauge? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D9D1G2X/

Reactions: andrew28
#12 · (Edited)
Well, here we are 10K miles and two tire rotations later with a wear update on my 2019 EX's stock Michelins.

I've been running 39-40 psi on all four corners since new. Today, at 30,631 miles I did my 6th tire rotation (I do 'em every 5K miles). Much to my surprise, there was minimal wear over the last 10K miles. Tread depth is still hanging around 7/32" and is consistent across the face of the tire. I can safely say that running higher than stock pressures has had no adverse effect on tire wear. As for the stock Michelins, wear-to-date seems to indicate I should be able to get 60K miles out of the OEM set of tires.

Curious about other's observations.

#13 ·
I'm only at around 7k miles 😅 but I'm doing 5k balancing & rotations like you. I've read tirerack reviews where people are getting like 80k miles on the Michelin energy savers. 😲 I guess these tires can last a long time if you're not speeding or hard braking all the time which is what most hybrid drivers aim for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.