Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am new here and thought perhaps someone would know the answer or might have two similar issues.

1) I have an Accord Touring and the door used to shut perfectly fine when I would pull on it OR on it's own weight. But now I realized that I have to pull it with force otherwise it won't shut completely and door sign will pop up. So I didn't think too much of it.

2) Last night I was washing the car and noticed a little crack/dent on the door's edge towards the fender (not the middle of the car). I have no idea how it got there, I didn't hit anything nor someone else hit. Also there is no damage to fender at all or to the rest of the door. Just a little dent on the edge of the door.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,085 Posts
Welcome. We're a forum for the Gen3 Insight, but there are some similarities among Honda models like the Civic and Accord.

Is just one door affected (passenger side rear door)? If I'm interpreting your pictures correctly, the first image looks like the trunk line is at far left, and the back edge of the passenger side rear door in the center of the image.

For the 'focused' area of of damage in the pictures, it looks to me like the door was opened onto something else to have caused the dent and chipping. It doesn't look severe, but is the damage close to the lock/latch mechanism, or are the seals affected? Either issue would affect how the door closes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just one door, the driver front door. The left side of the picture is the fender (Driver side).

I am thinking the same that the door got opened all the way and edge hit the hinges which are fairly close to the damaged are.

·
Super Moderator
4,085 Posts
Interesting... so the damage is on the inner (hinge) side of the driver's door? Is there anything on the inside/backside that would come in contact if opened too far? Do you see damage on any other interior surface?

Semi-(distantly) related, but @AMCooper63 reported hood hinge damage, likely from the hood being opened/extended too far. The contact points are in some of the pictures posted, metal on metal contact. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/444-hood-hinges-damage-fenders.html

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
Get a flashlight to see what is behind the fender where the front driver door goes in as you open it. My driver side door used to make this rubbing rubber sound when I open it until the dealership pushed a piece inside the fender further back.

Maybe....

• You're hitting a metal object inside the fender due to poor door alignment from the factory?
  • A small hard object like a rock got stuck in that door gap as you opened the door?
  • A vehicle from the opposite direction kicked up a rock and hit that area?
https://owners.honda.com/collision/profirstbodyshop/
Take it to a dealership for inspection or to a Honda certified body shop.

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
Seatbelt get pinched in the door???

@ata23 's first picture shows the hood area that I circled in green/blue so the damage area is around the red circle. I don't think it's between the gap of the front and rear doors.

@ata23 Deep scratch mark in the yellow circle?

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
I would love to see a video of that seam while the door is closing. If it takes more force to close if now, something is definitely wrong. @ata23 - can you do that? Either with a tripod or someone to help?

·
Registered
141 Posts
@ata23, did your door, while open, get caught in a strong gust of wind and open farther than normal? This might explain the door having opened too far causing the front edge to come in contact with the upper hinge. That would contribute to the door's front edge bending inward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting... so the damage is on the inner (hinge) side of the driver's door? Correct Is there anything on the inside/backside that would come in contact if opened too far? Nothing that I could see Do you see damage on any other interior surface?No damange in the interior apart but from one look I did notice that the door sealant (rubber the blue and red circle is in the pictures above) is not as smooth as the one on the passenger side door
what is behind the fender where the front driver door goes in as you open it.
I have noticed that I open the door and as I slowly keep opening it wider, the edge of the door where gets awfully close to the body of the car (where the hinges and sealant rubber is, on the interior side). All those scenarios are possible, however I did not notice anything like that happening, only thing close to some sort of event happening I might recall is perhaps a loud banging noise while driving but I don't seem to remember when it occurred.

No, the damage is on the opposite side of the door

@ata23 Deep scratch mark in the yellow circle?
The scratch was there when I purchased it.

I would love to see a video of that seam while the door is closing. If it takes more force to close if now, something is definitely wrong. @ata23 - can you do that? Either with a tripod or someone to help?
I will try to record a video by end of the week. I think it could be the latch. The feeling I got is when I slowly close the door, it does not completely close, and when I use force/push it seems like the latch gets moved (the one inside the door). so the door kind of lifts up when it's being closed with force

@

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ata23, did your door, while open, get caught in a strong gust of wind and open farther than normal? This might explain the door having opened too far causing the front edge to come in contact with the upper hinge. That would contribute to the door's front edge bending inward.
It could have opened far wide but not due to gust of wind. There is no scratch on the inside panel or hinge.

I have posted the video in this link:

I don't think it's between the gap of the front and rear doors. Deep scratch mark in the yellow circle?
Yeah it's not the gap. The scratch is from before.

Nope

• You're hitting a metal object inside the fender due to poor door alignment from the factory? No noise from hitting anything or rubbing anything. All clear as it shows in video.
  • A small hard object like a rock got stuck in that door gap as you opened the door? That could be the only option I can think of
  • A vehicle from the opposite direction kicked up a rock and hit that area? Maybe
    Take it to a dealership for inspection or to a Honda certified body shop.
I took it to Honda dealership, they are lost at words too but they think it's because of external damage and wouldn't get it fixed. They advised me to go to the body shop, which I did, the body shop guy said the door needs adjustment and is not from external damage....except it could be because of that little dent, but no other visible damage exists.

Interesting... so the damage is on the inner (hinge) side of the driver's door? Is there anything on the inside/backside that would come in contact if opened too far? Do you see damage on any other interior surface?
Yeah towards the fender, close to the hinge. Nothing I can see that is blocking/hitting/touching the door. I posted the video above.

I went to the auto body and they took pictures and will send me an estimate of fixing it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Definitely lines up with the lower portion of the upper door hinge. I'd be willing to bet that the hinge bent slightly as well, causing a very slight misalignment that is causing your issue, the door striker no longer goes smoothly into the latch.

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Definitely not right. It's almost like the door is being pulled open when almost shut. Not sure how that little dent figures into things. Sure, the dent may be external damage, but the little dent shouldn't be the cause of the door not shutting properly - it's a symptom of a bigger issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Definitely lines up with the lower portion of the upper door hinge. I'd be willing to bet that the hinge bent slightly as well, causing a very slight misalignment that is causing your issue, the door striker no longer goes smoothly into the latch.
I agree!. That's why I mentioned possibly caused the door to open too far and hit the upper hinge. This would also cause the door to be sprung at the hinge making it harder to shut the door. In my 25 years of being an auto body repairman, I saw an awful lot of this type damage. I'm not saying my explanation has to be the answer. Something else could have done this but I have no other thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
Is it normal for the Accord to have that big of a gap in the door? I don't think my Insight has that big of a gap in the same location.
Went out to my Insight and the gap size looks similar. I must say the door seal makes it look better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would've asked the dealership to fix that scratch if it was there before delivery. Is it normal for the Accord to have that big of a gap in the door? I don't think my Insight has that big of a gap in the same location.
Yeah it was a hassle at the time because I was in a need of a car. The gap is similar on the passenger door.

Definitely not right. It's almost like the door is being pulled open when almost shut. Not sure how that little dent figures into things. Sure, the dent may be external damage, but the little dent shouldn't be the cause of the door not shutting properly - it's a symptom of a bigger issue.
Correct, and that's what I kept the telling the dealership guy.......but since there's that dent they are "certain" it was hit or something so warranty does not cover. And I can't blame them as well, it's a tricky situation.

I agree!. That's why I mentioned possibly caused the door to open too far and hit the upper hinge. This would also cause the door to be sprung at the hinge making it harder to shut the door. In my 25 years of being an auto body repairman, I saw an awful lot of this type damage. I'm not saying my explanation has to be the answer. Something else could have done this but I have no other thoughts.
Yes seems like the door is hanging OR sort of "loose" from the top hinge. I had my brother look at it, he's somewhat handy with cars so when the weather warms up we will open it up and see whats going.

Went out to my Insight and the gap size looks similar. I must say the door seal makes it look better.
Yes on the both sides of the vehicle the gap is similar. I was watching this video where you can close the gaps by rotating the little rubber knob or striker.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts