Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A Seinfeld episode came to miind as I was driving my daughter home from dance class tonight. I had 26 miles of range left and a 42 mile drive home. For the second time I drove "below the slash." In the end, I drove 28 miles below the slash. I'm curious if anyone else does this with any regularity. The Gen3 Insight has a 10.6 gallon fuel capacity. I'm not sure how much of this is "usable." I took about 9.25 gallons until the pump clicked off which got me a 69.7mpg average for the tank over 644 miles. Technically, I could have gotten a 700-mile tank.

Okay - here's the question - how far "below the slash" (in terms of miles below zero) has anyone driven their Insight?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have never gone below but I have gone much further than the range initially states.
I would never make this a regular thing nor trust it.
Your "predicted" range is based off very recent history only and can quickly change based off of driving conditions and many other factors.

·
Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my head, I always figure I have ten gallons of fuel. Based on that, I know what my car can do safely. My question is - out of the 10.6 gallon tank, how much of that is "usable?" 9.25 gallons is my current "high score."

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
In my head, I always figure I have ten gallons of fuel. Based on that, I know what my car can do safely. My question is - out of the 10.6 gallon tank, how much of that is "usable?" 9.25 gallons is my current "high score."
I'll start off by saying "I'm not a mechanic, but I play one on TV" before sharing my thoughts on this topic... Technically, I believe all the fuel in the tank is "usable" - meaning that it can be accessed to power the car until the fuel source runs out. However, I think there is a mechanical "cost" or impact to doing so.

The fuel pump sits inside the fuel tank and "pushes" gas out of the tank for use. (This is different from an in-line fuel pump, which would be used to "pull" fuel out of the tank for use.) When fuel tank level is low, the submerged fuel pump has to work harder mechanically to generate the same output pressure because because the lower fuel weight (lower level) no longer pushes fuel into the pump.

I think Honda considers "zero" to be 1.6 gallons left in the tank to account for situations like hard cornering or hills, where the fuel pump could be subjected to low/no level due to the angle/incline, causing the pump to starve for fuel. This is in addition to exposing the pump to any gunk or debris that may build up in the tank over time. Also (less likely but possible...), low liquid level can translate to high fume levels within the tank, especially in hot weather. The fumes are more likely to expand and contract than liquid form, which could pressurize and cause undue extra wear on the tank material itself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great to know! That means I'll be able to "comfortably" let the range hit 0 before refueling.
This operation will shorten the life of the pump. The gasoline pump is cooled with gasoline. Therefore, when there is little gasoline and at the same time the gasoline pump can be sucked in air by shaking and can overheat. I refuel on two marks of levels and recommend it to everyone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This operation will shorten the life of the pump. The gasoline pump is cooled with gasoline. Therefore, when there is little gasoline and at the same time the gasoline pump can be sucked in air by shaking and can overheat. I refuel on two marks of levels and recommend it to everyone.
I was going to ask about this directly, but you've already answered it. I don't mean to say I'll let it run dry every time, just that it may be inopportune to refuel at "two marks," of course, I can refuel sooner. I just can be "comfortable" that I won't be on the side of the road if I get to 0 range.

·
Registered
506 Posts
After my recall, my gauge is off a little and when it says I have 40 miles left and whines for me to fill up, I can barely fit 8 gallons in there.. Before the recall, I had driven to 0 (no bars showing at all) several times - once I didn't have a choice and ended up with over 500 miles on the tank. When I filled it up - it took about 9.8 gallons so I got pretty close to empty (closer than I wanted to)..

·
Registered
434 Posts
A Seinfeld episode came to miind as I was driving my daughter home from dance class tonight. I had 26 miles of range left and a 42 mile drive home. For the second time I drove "below the slash." In the end, I drove 28 miles below the slash. I'm curious if anyone else does this with any regularity. The Gen3 Insight has a 10.6 gallon fuel capacity. I'm not sure how much of this is "usable." I took about 9.25 gallons until the pump clicked off which got me a 69.7mpg average for the tank over 644 miles. Technically, I could have gotten a 700-mile tank.

Okay - here's the question - how far "below the slash" (in terms of miles below zero) has anyone driven their Insight?

Most gas I ever put in at one time was 8.975 gal. There was one bar on the fuel gauge, and the Range was under 20 miles. So lots and lots of driving was available if needed. Most of the time I get 8.0 -8.5 gal. at a fill up

In my Gen 2 Insight I once drove around till I got Range = 0 and then filled up. I don't remember the numbers but there was something like 0.5 - 0.75 gal remaining (25 -37.5 miles given its 50 mpg annual average with me driving) compared to specs for that car

·
Registered
75 Posts
My most recent fill up took 9.063 gallons. The range indicated 1 mile left and one bar on the fuel gauge. Like @Mobilcams, I got an indicator warning at 40 miles range left, but I haven't done any recalls. Think it could be a change from a software update? I don't plan to take it to 0 too often, it's just the price delta on where i fill up can be more than 0.30c/gal, recently made worse by the pipeline issues.

·
Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went "below the slash" for the first time in a long time tonight. Was sitting at daughter's dance class 40 miles from home with 21 miles of range left, did some mental math where I estimated I had 2.1 gallons left in the tank and thought, "I know my car."
Speedometer Gauge Odometer Plant Tachometer

I hit zero MTE with 14 miles left to go. Pressed on and made it with no problem:
Speedometer Gauge Automotive design Trip computer Fuel gauge

The fill-up showed my estimate was very close. I had ~1.6 gallons in the tank at fill-up (10.6 - 8.97 = 1.63):
Font Terrestrial plant Circle Number Screenshot

It is my firm belief that you need to try really hard to run out of gas in a Gen3 Insight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My experience is there is about 1.5 gallons left in The tank, or about 70 miles, when it hits 0. Often I reset the trip odometer at that point and I can track if I am getting too close to empty. I think Honda put too much buffer on the empty. It also varies between manufacturers. My wife’s Kia Niro has only 0.5 gallons when it hits 0, which I think is more reasonable.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The fill-up showed my estimate was very close. I had ~1.6 gallons in the tank at fill-up (10.6 - 8.97 = 1.63):
YES trust in the math .....and you'll make to the gas station.!!

I've run out of gas x2 and had to do the walking, hitching a ride, buy a gas can, repeat routine. That got me into doing the math. Math got me into the excitement of making the gas station or not (always made it). Age has got me into appreciating calm and peace. So now its fill up as convenient, but no gas cans, no excitement.

My experience is there is about 1.5 gallons left in The tank, or about 70 miles, when it hits 0. Often I reset the trip odometer at that point and I can track if I am getting too close to empty. I think Honda put too much buffer on the empty. It also varies between manufacturers. My wife’s Kia Niro has only 0.5 gallons when it hits 0, which I think is more reasonable.
I agree.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts