Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Figured I follow up and note that I opted not to go through the trouble with the C pillar (didn't really have a choice since I actually ran out of cable lol). Ended up routing it between the rear seats and the trunk and hand-shaped the wire to be neater. Gets the job done and at least it's less noticeable to me than wires hanging from the front.

By the way, pro tip for those considering dash cams and have a little bit of OCD, save yourself a wasted 3M sticker by taping the center line of your car before you stick on your dash cams..
Where is it getting power from? Did you make the rear 12v outlet? then have the wire going under floor mats and from there behind the seats?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where is it getting power from? Did you make the rear 12v outlet? then have the wire going under floor mats and from there behind the seats?
The dashcam comes with a super long cord that connects to the front camera which provides power in addition to where it records the video feed. I wired it up A column then down along the bottom of the door frames to the back. I would've wired through the top of the frame if it wasn't so hard to access and at risk of impeding the airbags.

The camera I bought if you're interested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DVJ5DB9/

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
I just bought 2 viofo a119 v3 w/CPL Lens for around $93 each after tax. They're coming from China which should take a couple of weeks. Viofo is doing a Single's Day(Chinese Black Friday?) sale today on their online store.

Will update here with a small review once I get them installed. :grin:

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
I just bought 2 viofo a119 v3 w/CPL Lens for around $93 each after tax. They're coming from China which should take a couple of weeks. Viofo is doing a Single's Day(Chinese Black Friday?) sale today on their online store.
Yup - 11/11 was formerly a day marketed to purchasers who were single (1-1-1-1), but has blown up from 2009 forward when Chinese e-retailers expanded it to be the best day of the year for shopping/deals. It's a great day to get deals on merchandise from Asia, so congrats on scoring!

According to the Washington Post article today, "In the first 68 seconds of Nov. 11, Chinese consumers had spent $1 billion snapping up bargains online. Within the first hour, they’d spent $14.3 billion - about half the total recorded last year during the Thanksgiving shopping season in the United States."

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yup - 11/11 was formerly a day marketed to purchasers who were single (1-1-1-1), but has blown up from 2009 forward when Chinese e-retailers expanded it to be the best day of the year for shopping/deals. It's a great day to get deals on merchandise from Asia, so congrats on scoring!

According to the Washington Post article today, "In the first 68 seconds of Nov. 11, Chinese consumers had spent $1 billion snapping up bargains online. Within the first hour, they’d spent $14.3 billion - about half the total recorded last year during the Thanksgiving shopping season in the United States."
Doesn't hurt that they have like 3x the population. On a serious note though, it's amazing how the growth of "sales" holidays has redefined consumerism.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
The viofo dashcams I bought also arrived today so I will be doing some dashcam installing, too. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
The front dash cam install was pretty easy.

1. I chose to stick the dashcam in the center right below the Honda Sense camera housing.
  2. The dashcam mount is via 3M sticker so I decided to turn on the dashcam as I'm mounting it for better positioning.
  3. Tucked the usb cable into the headliner and chose to go towards the passenger side A pillar (dashcam usb port was facing that way).
  4. Took off the A pillar cover.
  5. Tucked the usb cable along the pillar and placed the cover back on.
  6. From the bottom of the windshield, I directed the cable towards the door, and then down to the husky floor mats.
  7. Hid the usb cable under the floor mat and then out the other side to the 12v car adapter.
The rear dash cam was more difficult. I currently have the usb cable going from the back all the way to the driver side A pillar. I'm not able to 100% hide the usb cable due to the B pillar. Also the usb cable viofo gave me wasn't long enough and probably not intended for rear dashcam installation. So currently the usb cable is dangling over the steering wheel before reaching the 12v car adapter. Will have to do the rear cable installation again once I get a longer usb cable.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts

Some sample footage from my dashcams.

·
Registered
2019 EX White Pearl Orchid
66 Posts
Nice job on the camera install ... Comment on forward video @ 4:42 I could tell you did not have the cruise on.... with the car turning right it would have slammed the brakes on !! lol

Edit - Nice stopping at lights when you have Fast Forward :)

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Do the two cameras synchronize, or would you do so manually by time stamp? Also just an observation, but the rear camera seems to record with more static/noise. Is something maybe loose?
The 2 dashcams are not synchronized but they start recording at the same time when I turn my car on. I didn't want a synchronized(dual channel) dashcam because they're limited to 1080p. The static has to do with the usb cable. I need to redo the wiring because the current usb cable isn't long enough with the way I'm directing the cable so it's bending at a bad angle near the A pillar.

Nice job on the camera install ... Comment on forward video @ 4:42 I could tell you did not have the cruise on.... with the car turning right it would have slammed the brakes on !! lol

Edit - Nice stopping at lights when you have Fast Forward :)
Yep, it's why I don't use ACC on local roads. That guy at least knew how to use his turn signals early. Some of them just decides to suddenly stop with no signaling.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts

Here's one that didn't know how to yield or use a turn signal or even realize he was in the wrong because he brake checked me after the honk. Was using ACC set at 70mph and I had to hit the brakes early because I don't think the Insight would've reacted quick enough due to his sudden slow merging.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello, I just installed my dash cam through the #1 fuse. After everything is complete, my infotainment screen would not turn on. Everything else works. Help please?

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Hello, I just installed my dash cam through the #1 fuse. After everything is complete, my infotainment screen would not turn on. Everything else works. Help please?
To confirm, you installed at the #1 Accessory fuse location, correct?

Is the text for the hard buttons/controls on the left side of the infotainment illuminated? Is there any response if you hold down the POWER + << (Previous Track) + HOME buttons? (This combination should normally bring up the service menu on the infotainment screen.)

Maybe try rebooting the infotainment system, using the process described here which is triggered by steps outside of the infotainment screen - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-2019-honda-insight-user-interface/2602-infotainment-system-restarting-rebooting-instructions.html

·
Registered
53 Posts
To confirm, you installed at the #1 Accessory fuse location, correct?

Is the text for the hard buttons/controls on the left side of the infotainment illuminated? Is there any response if you hold down the POWER + << (Previous Track) + HOME buttons? (This combination should normally bring up the service menu on the infotainment screen.)

Maybe try rebooting the infotainment system, using the process described here which is triggered by steps outside of the infotainment screen - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-2019-honda-insight-user-interface/2602-infotainment-system-restarting-rebooting-instructions.html
Thanks so much for your reply. I installed in the correct fuse location, but the piggyback fuse for the infotainment was not tightly pushed in.

Everything works fine now!

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Thanks so much for your reply. I installed in the correct fuse location, but the piggyback fuse for the infotainment was not tightly pushed in.

Everything works fine now!
What dashcam did you get?

·
Registered
53 Posts
What dashcam did you get?
I bought an Apeman C550A from Amazon.

I followed the procedures and pics shown on this thread, and the process was surprisingly simple. I guess the most important part is to ensure the cable do not obstruct the A pillar airbag assembly. Good thing the only panel I had to open was the A-pillar panel. (I do not enjoy prying open panels 😥 )

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
I bought an Apeman C550A from Amazon.

I followed the procedures and pics shown on this thread, and the process was surprisingly simple. I guess the most important part is to ensure the cable do not obstruct the A pillar airbag assembly. Good thing the only panel I had to open was the A-pillar panel. (I do not enjoy prying open panels 😥 )
Same, I worry about not being able to put it back together. :p

Viofo is replacing one of the A119 V3 dashcams I bought due to static noise showing up in the recordings. The other one is working fine so far and I like the video quality.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Viofo is replacing one of the A119 V3 dashcams I bought due to static noise showing up in the recordings. The other one is working fine so far and I like the video quality.
Are they replacing the back one? Did the static noise end up being the camera itself, rather than wiring path as you originally suspected?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does your mini-USB cable have a cylindrical shaped ferrite bead attached to it? It helps remove static. The hardwire kit that I purchased came with it.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts