Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
Are they replacing the back one? Did the static noise end up being the camera itself, rather than wiring path as you originally suspected?
Does your mini-USB cable have a cylindrical shaped ferrite bead attached to it? It helps remove static. The hardwire kit that I purchased came with it.
The replacement usb cable I bought had a ferrite core but it didn't solve the problem. After reading the below quote from the dashcamtalk forum I went and bought a 22 AWG usb cable. That didn't fix the problem either. The front one(same model) works with all 3 usb cables(the original & both replacement usb cables) without any static noise created. I told Viofo about it and they agreed to replace the defective dashcam.
Viofo cameras, including the A119 V3 ship with 22 AWG USB-A to Mini-B power cables, unlike many other cameras on the market that often ship with either a 28 AWG or 24 AWG cable. While I'm not certain about the V3, other cameras such as the A119 V2 tend to experience problems if the wire gauge is too thin such as flickering screens and occasional low voltage audio artifacts (pulsating buzzing) in the videos.

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
The replacement usb cable I bought had a ferrite core but it didn't solve the problem. After reading the below quote from the dashcamtalk forum I went and bought a 22 AWG usb cable. That didn't fix the problem either. The front one(same model) works with all 3 usb cables(the original & both replacement usb cables) without any static noise created. I told Viofo about it and they agreed to replace the defective dashcam.
Was the 'static' noise you experienced just camera specific vs wiring specific? Did camera replacement address the static issue?

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Was the 'static' noise you experienced just camera specific vs wiring specific? Did camera replacement address the static issue?
Yeah, it was camera specific. Replacement camera doesn't have the static noise similar to one of the original dashcam I got in my first order.

·
Registered
2020 Insight Touring, Crimson Pearl #10051
26 Posts
Yeah, it was camera specific. Replacement camera doesn't have the static noise similar to one of the original dashcam I got in my first order.
How did you end up wiring the rear camera?
I just got the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo, and now struggling with how to wire it all up. I'm an IT guy, and can do electronics all day. But mechanics is out of my realm. I'm pretty sure I can get the hardwire cable through the front A pillar thanks to a video link earlier in this thread. (
)
(Though for the wire from the front camera to the A-pillar, do you just push it in the gap between the windshield and roof panel?)
I've been Googling around and reading here, but still feel a little overwhelmed by the task as there's no Honda Insight 2019+ specific instructions anywhere. Just pictures of what the finished result looks like.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
How did you end up wiring the rear camera?
I just got the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo, and now struggling with how to wire it all up. I'm an IT guy, and can do electronics all day. But mechanics is out of my realm. I'm pretty sure I can get the hardwire cable through the front A pillar thanks to a video link earlier in this thread. (
)
(Though for the wire from the front camera to the A-pillar, do you just push it in the gap between the windshield and roof panel?)
I've been Googling around and reading here, but still feel a little overwhelmed by the task as there's no Honda Insight 2019+ specific instructions anywhere. Just pictures of what the finished result looks like.
I will take some pictures tomorrow showing how I routed the wires. The front dashcam install and hiding the wires in the A pillar is really easy. Yes, you just shove the wire in the headliner(roof panel). It's the rear dashcam where you have to figure out how to hide the wire in the C-pilllar without needing to pop it off that took most of my time. The usb wire that Viofo provided me for the A119 V3 was thin enough to shove in the crevice of the C-pillar if you take your time. My current rear usb wire is thicker(to improve power delivery) so I'm not able to hide it inside the C-pillar until I figure out how to pop off the C-pillar cover.

Which reminds me... @matttelz How did you pop off the C-pillar cover? Is it as simple as the A-pillar?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The usb wire that Viofo provided me for the A119 V3 was thin enough to shove in the crevice of the C-pillar if you take your time. My current rear usb wire is thicker(to improve power delivery) so I'm not able to hide it inside the C-pillar until I figure out how to pop off the C-pillar cover.
The A129Pro Duo comes with a thick slave cable for the rear camera (and it's not a generic mini-USB; the port is just a little different, so can't substitute with a thinner cable). So sounds like I'll have my work cut out for me in trying to push that into crevices.
Since you mention hiding the wire in the C-pillar, does that mean you routed it over the floor and then go up to the top of the window? I was thinking of going along the roof over the doors. And since the camera will be at the top of the rear window, no need to access the C pillar.
(this may just be my naive innocence talking)
Would going along the roofline impact the side airbags, and thus not be an option?

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
The A129Pro Duo comes with a thick slave cable for the rear camera (and it's not a generic mini-USB; the port is just a little different, so can't substitute with a thinner cable). So sounds like I'll have my work cut out for me in trying to push that into crevices.
Since you mention hiding the wire in the C-pillar, does that mean you routed it over the floor and then go up to the top of the window? I was thinking of going along the roof over the doors. And since the camera will be at the top of the rear window, no need to access the C pillar.
(this may just be my naive innocence talking)
Would going along the roofline impact the side airbags, and thus not be an option?
The thinner usb cable Viofo supplied with my A119 V3 I was able to hide it in the C-pillar crevice(well partially). I bought 2 of them for front and back instead of buying a 2-channel dashcam like the A129Pro Duo. Viofo didn't intend the A119 V3 to be used as a rear dashcam so the usb cable they supplied wasn't long enough to route from rear to front so I had to buy a replacement usb cable. The replacement one I bought was a thicker one because usually the longer the cable the better to go with thicker ones to improve power delivery.

I went along the roof over the doors and down towards the A-pillar(I will update here tomorrow with pics). I assume the airbags will just shove the usb cable out when the side airbags pop out.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Here are the pictures I promised.

IMG_20200227_171432.jpg IMG_20200227_171441.jpg IMG_20200227_171449.jpg IMG_20200227_171542.jpg IMG_20200227_171615.jpg

IMG_20200227_171532.jpg
In this pic, I drew an orange line to indicate where I hid the thinner usb cable Viofo originally provided me before I replaced it with a thicker cable. As you can see I'm using a clear tape to hold the thicker wire at least until I find out how to safely remove that C-pillar cover.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,287 Posts
I went down along the floor for mine. The thresholds simply popped off which allowed for easy cabling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok, I managed to get it mostly done. I ended up bringing the power wire down the drive side to go into the fuse panel, but chose to link the rear camera along the passenger side, that way there's no overcrowding. (Plus the carseat is on the driver side, so no little fingers grabbing at the wire)
On my todo are removal of the B-pillar to hide the cable behind there between the front and rear doors.
And I think I'm just going to buy a C-pillar clip, and break the existing one and loop the cable behind there. But I'll wait for some warmer weather before starting that. I ended up pushing some slack up into the roof above the C-pillar, so I can move the cable around a bit, and I put the rest of the slack down the A-pillar, and under the passenger side dash, coiled up and tied off. (And I pushed the cable under the airbag assembly in the A-pillar so it wouldn't interfere.)

In the fusebox I used the standard Fuse 1 ACC for regular power, and Fuse 18 (which was empty) for battery power for the dashcam parking mode.

Some notes specific to the VIOFO camera. I got the polarized filter with it. And I ended up putting that on the rear camera, which reduced the window glare (reflection of the speakers in the glass) tremendously. And I'll end up buying a second polarizing filter to put back on the front camera.

2020-02-29 11.55.26.jpg 2020-02-29 11.55.52.jpg 2020-02-29 11.54.34.jpg 2020-02-29 16.43.14.jpg 2020-02-29 16.44.50.jpg 2020-02-29 16.45.52.jpg 2020-02-29 16.47.09.jpg 2020-02-29 16.47.24.jpg

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
Ok, I managed to get it mostly done. I ended up bringing the power wire down the drive side to go into the fuse panel, but chose to link the rear camera along the passenger side, that way there's no overcrowding. (Plus the carseat is on the driver side, so no little fingers grabbing at the wire)
Nice job! One watchout with passenger-side is that is where long runs of antenna wiring also run. There's risk of interference with the radio, but practically speaking, the wiring path you chose sounds best for your use. - Installed dash cam, getting static?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice job! One watchout with passenger-side is that is where long runs of antenna wiring also run. There's risk of interference with the radio, but practically speaking, the wiring path you chose sounds best for your use. - Installed dash cam, getting static?
I just ran out and tried FM radio, but it's crystal clear. I'm thinking the thicker cable helps.
And Sirius (which is what I was listening to while running the cable) is crisp as well. So I'm in the clear.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Some notes specific to the VIOFO camera. I got the polarized filter with it. And I ended up putting that on the rear camera, which reduced the window glare (reflection of the speakers in the glass) tremendously. And I'll end up buying a second polarizing filter to put back on the front camera.
I've the CPL filter for both front & rear dashcam. Definitely helps the rear cam at night to reduce headlight glare, too. When my brake lights are on I can clearly read the license plate number if the vehicle behind is close enough.

Good job on your first dashcam install. :D You will probably adjust the wiring a few more times but it's pretty easy.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
I rewired my rear dashcam earlier today. Got a shorter cable (15ft vs 20ft) and directed it down the B-pillar instead of across towards the A-pillar. I was able to half-tuck the wire in the C-pillar without needing to pop it off. Also did a small adjustment of the front dashcam wiring along the A-pillar to mitigate rattling due to road vibration.

IMG_0515.jpg IMG_0514.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought the below from Best Buy and paid maybe $100.00. I hardwired mine as well running the wire along the top of the windshield, tucking the wires down the A pillar and tapping into the fuse box. The chose to stick mine on the driver's side of the rearview mirror and rather than using the double backing stick tape. I actually used small piece of heavy duty velcro cuz I found in the summer time the heat deflecting off the windshield caused the dash cam to fall off. Once I secure with the velcro I had had no problems and have my insight for almost a year. Im in Northern CA and the heat in the summer gets anywhere between 93-107 during the summer. I think this is a great dash cam and I commute all the time over 130-150 miles one way. Thought about a rear dash cam, but Im satisfied with what the front only for now

Rexing V1 Plus Dash Cam
Mini-USB hardwire kit
32GB Kingston Canvas microSD card
Model V1-PLUS
SKU #6302508

·
Registered
338 Posts
Does anyone know if anyone manufactures a 4k (both Exterior/Interior) dash cam? mine only does 1080p front and rear.. i already have a spare 4k exterior dash cam and could get another 4k cam and flip it around for interior but i dont like having two cams on windshield (or rear view mirror if they would fit)..

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
Does anyone know if anyone manufactures a 4k (both Exterior/Interior) dash cam? mine only does 1080p front and rear.. i already have a spare 4k exterior dash cam and could get another 4k cam and flip it around for interior but i dont like having two cams on windshield (or rear view mirror if they would fit)..
Haven't seen dual 4k front/back. The Viofo A129 Pro Duo mentioned by @JvdMaat above offers 4k front, 1080p back. Thinkware U1000 offers 4k front, 2k back. And BlackVue DR900S-2CH offers 4k front, 1980p/Full HD rear. The BlackVue model is spec'd for front and interior.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just did a little research and I was thinking about getting a 360 cam before for my car but this one really ups the game..you can edit certain parts of the 360 video to make them regular videos (not sure how good that is)..oh and 5.6k

pricey though... GoPro Max

·
Registered
338 Posts
So I went into Best Buy to inquire about the GoPro Max and apparently you can’t edit portions of the 360 video to be regular videos (which could be wrong because the BB person was wrong about needing 2 SD cards) .. unfortunately you also can’t use front and rear cameras simultaneously, but I read online there is an iPhone app to be able to do that..

I’ve actually just purchased one to test to see how it works out..

·
Registered
27 Posts
For those looking for an easy plug & play adapter for a front dashcam setup.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts