Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Administrator
4,499 Posts
For those looking for an easy plug & play adapter for a front dashcam setup.
Thanks for sharing, cool idea and affordable option. It's plug and and play for Touring models that come standard with auto-dimming mirror, but would require mirror/power upgrade for LX and EX trims.

·
Administrator
4,499 Posts
This video shares installation of a dash cam, attached to the rearview mirror/front camera mounting position and powered by/through a 2021 Touring overhead console. The 'hidden' mounting position is interesting to consider, and the dash cam used is the ThinkWare F70 1080p.

What I also liked about this is the detail/description on wiring connections, which I haven't found elsewhere. Whether using this overhead console to power a dash cam or to power a garage opener, summarizing the wiring info here for future reference:

GREEN = full time power source (regardless of power on/off)
GRAY = headlight connection
BLUE = positive (when powered on)
BLACK = negative (when powered on)

Final dash cam system connections were powered by the 'blue' and 'black' wires.

·
Registered
2019 Insight EX
1 Posts
Ok, I managed to get it mostly done. I ended up bringing the power wire down the drive side to go into the fuse panel, but chose to link the rear camera along the passenger side, that way there's no overcrowding. (Plus the carseat is on the driver side, so no little fingers grabbing at the wire)
On my todo are removal of the B-pillar to hide the cable behind there between the front and rear doors.
And I think I'm just going to buy a C-pillar clip, and break the existing one and loop the cable behind there. But I'll wait for some warmer weather before starting that. I ended up pushing some slack up into the roof above the C-pillar, so I can move the cable around a bit, and I put the rest of the slack down the A-pillar, and under the passenger side dash, coiled up and tied off. (And I pushed the cable under the airbag assembly in the A-pillar so it wouldn't interfere.)

In the fusebox I used the standard Fuse 1 ACC for regular power, and Fuse 18 (which was empty) for battery power for the dashcam parking mode.

Some notes specific to the VIOFO camera. I got the polarized filter with it. And I ended up putting that on the rear camera, which reduced the window glare (reflection of the speakers in the glass) tremendously. And I'll end up buying a second polarizing filter to put back on the front camera.

View attachment 4935 View attachment 4936 View attachment 4937 View attachment 4938 View attachment 4939 View attachment 4940 View attachment 4941 View attachment 4942
This looks great. I'm about to hook up a dash cam and it's got a parking mode which I'd like to use. I have a question though - you mentioned that you use Fuse 1 ACC for regular power and the empty slot 18 for parking mode. I only have the one camera, so I would only need to tap into slot 18 for power, correct? That would give me power regardless of the car being on or not, and would give me parking mode plus regular. Thanks for all the photos!!

·
Registered
2020 Insight Touring, Crimson Pearl #10051
28 Posts
This looks great. I'm about to hook up a dash cam and it's got a parking mode which I'd like to use. I have a question though - you mentioned that you use Fuse 1 ACC for regular power and the empty slot 18 for parking mode. I only have the one camera, so I would only need to tap into slot 18 for power, correct? That would give me power regardless of the car being on or not, and would give me parking mode plus regular. Thanks for all the photos!!
No, you would need both fuses. Fuse 18 (or whichever) is the always-on power, and will take care of parking mode.
Fuse 1 (ACC) is only on when the car is on. That signals the dashcam the car is on, and it stops parking mode, and starts recording until it loses power (car turned off), and then uses the always-on power from fuse 18 to resume parking mode.

EDIT: Unless you're just hardwiring a single cable and letting the dashcam decide when it should go to park mode (based on motion/GPS/etc sensor). But most hardwire kits will contain 3 wires (On, Acc, Ground)

101 - 104 of 104 Posts