Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an encounter on the highway that reminded me I wanted to look into getting a dashcam. I don't really want to try to run new cables up the pillars and through the header, but having a cable hanging down is unacceptable as well.

Does anyone know if it's possible (or advisable) to pop open the box that houses the Honda Sensing camera and tap power from there?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,643 Posts
I just had an encounter on the highway that reminded me I wanted to look into getting a dashcam. I don't really want to try to run new cables up the pillars and through the header, but having a cable hanging down is unacceptable as well.

Does anyone know if it's possible (or advisable) to pop open the box that houses the Honda Sensing camera and tap power from there?
If you have a Touring model, you can tap from the rear view. Not sure I'd want to mess with the Honda Sensing wiring. An Insight is pretty finnicky about power issues.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
42 Posts
I would not mess with the Honda camera, however, you can tap in to the power in the map lights like this guy did.

That being said, pulling the A-pillar trim and routing the cable down through the dash to the fuse box below the steering wheel is dirt simple, took me maybe 30 minutes. Far easier and safer than tapping into the map lights in my opinion. CmpeGeek has a great explanation here. Dash Cams

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
42 Posts
It literally only took me 30 seconds to remove the A-pillar trim to take these photos of my setup for another thread. Just one bolt to remove. I used the 3 wire power cable for my VIOFO tapped into two empty fuse positions in the panel under the steering wheel. This setup automatical switches to parking mode recording when the vehicle is turned off. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Easy install, I used a low profile fuse jumper off accessory #1. Didn’t have to pop A pillar, just tucked the wires behind it and worked it down with a plastic tool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts