Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - first post here.

Currently driving an old Prius, eager to upgrade to a new Insight EX. Is this a good time to make an offer on a 2019, just days before the end of the year? I currently make about $10/hr in the gig economy and have no significant savings, so it's important to me to be as wise and frugal as possible.

Really looking forward to it, though - I miss Honda. I feel like I'm finally going home. (My first car was a 1992 Accord, and the only car I've ever bought new was a 2002 Civic.)

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,064 Posts

Currently driving an old Prius, eager to upgrade to a new Insight EX. Is this a good time to make an offer on a 2019, just days before the end of the year? I currently make about $10/hr in the gig economy and have no significant savings, so it's important to me to be as wise and frugal as possible.

Really looking forward to it, though - I miss Honda. I feel like I'm finally going home. (My first car was a 1992 Accord, and the only car I've ever bought new was a 2002 Civic.)
It's all about the budget. What you put down and what you can afford monthly will determine the answer. If your current car is reliable and paid off, that may be the better way to go. Having no savings should tell you the answer. I wish I could say "go for it," but you need to be realistic. An occasional repair to en existing car will likely be less than a regular monthly payment - not to mention the increased cost of insurance.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,333 Posts

Good time to make an offer on a 2019 Insight? Yes
Good time for you to buy a new car? Ask here ---> https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
December is one of the 'top 6' months in which Honda sells most of its cars, based on monthly sales data. The 2020 Insight came out in July 2019, so in theory the past 6 months have been a good time to buy a 2019 as it's already 'obsolete.'

Even if the financials work out in your favor, do keep in mind that there are also technology nuances to consider when buying a hybrid that's been sitting idle for a while (e.g. battery health, fluid condition, run 30 min every 3 months, etc). You could potentially leverage some of this knowledge to get an even better deal and/or to ensure that you buy a new car that's in the condition you expect.

Buying car 6 months on lot - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/121-2019-honda-insight-pricing-dealers-purchasing-ordering/2784-buying-insight-thats-been-sitting-6-months.html
1st Oil Change <1 mo from purchase - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/153-2019-powertrain-technical-discussion/2782-1245-miles-maintenance-required-soon-light-oil-15%.html

·
Registered
189 Posts
I know you want the EX, but on your budget, you might consider an LX. Okay, I'm not really interested in all of the bells & whistles on the EX--a larger screen, two more speakers, a second outlet. . . (yes, there's a few more). . . but the LX is a GREAT vehicle. . . And White Orchid Pearl is the BEST color out there!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just came home with a 2020 Honda Insight EX, white outside, ivory inside. $23,698 + $599 doc fee, no other add-ons. Zero down, Honda financing. (Honda West in Las Vegas)

Time to start studying... there's a million features to figure out.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,064 Posts
Just came home with a 2020 Honda Insight EX, white outside, ivory inside. $23,698 + $599 doc fee, no other add-ons. Zero down, Honda financing. (Honda West in Las Vegas)

WOP with ivory interior is kinda rare since not many like the light interior. I've found the lighter interior to be very resilient. My son got into a nasty soccer injury, and the blood cleaned up perfectly. While the WOP exterior is common, the ivory interior is not. My favorite bonus to the WOP exterior is that it doesn't show dirt as much as the darker colors. Congratulations on your new Insight. Back when I bought mine on 8/18, there were no zero down deals.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Congrats on your purchase! As you mentioned, there are lots of things to check into and experiment with to find what suits you best! This forum is definitely the place to ask questions and read as many thread and topics as possible to get valuable "insight" on your Insight! :grin:

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts

Congrats on your new car (aka Christmas present). Hope your dealers delivered it to you with a huge red bow, like on those TV commercials. ;)

To get familiar with the car, these threads may be helpful as starting reading:

It's also helpful to have a copy of the full Owners Manual (different from the Owners Guide in the glovebox). You can download a PDF version and/or order an (enormous) hard copy within the first 6 months of ownership.

And as you have any questions, feel free to ask them within the forum. Glad to have you here as a new fellow owner. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
WOP with ivory interior is kinda rare since not many like the light interior. I've found the lighter interior to be very resilient. My son got into a nasty soccer injury, and the blood cleaned up perfectly. While the WOP exterior is common, the ivory interior is not. My favorite bonus to the WOP exterior is that it doesn't show dirt as much as the darker colors. Congratulations on your new Insight. Back when I bought mine on 8/18, there were no zero down deals.
Being a 2020 model, it sounds like @odigity picked up a Platinum White exterior with Ivory interior. The (rare) White Orchid Pearl was only featured on the 2019 Insight. :)

2020 Insight Updates - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/97-2019-insight-news/2740-2020-honda-insight-arriving-dealerships-tomorrow-7-16-2019-a.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Correct - Platinum White Pearl (had to go check).
VIN #19XZE4F51LE004766

Unfortunately, I just noticed on the contract that the dealer did sneak in a couple of the options that I had explicitly verbally rejected, so now I have to go back and yell at them to fix it and hope they comply, since I probably have no legal leverage, having already signed the docs. (I foolishly trusted them to be honest.)

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Unfortunately, I just noticed on the contract that the dealer did sneak in a couple of the options that I had explicitly verbally rejected, so now I have to go back and yell at them to fix it and hope they comply, since I probably have no legal leverage, having already signed the docs. (I foolishly trusted them to be honest.)
If I may ask, what are the options and cost for the items you didn't want?

Unfortunately, it looks like Nevada does not have a cooling off (or right of recission) period for new car purchases. - https://legalbeagle.com/6830797-do-return-new-car-nevada.html

Most remaining protections for car purchases relate to defective vehicles (lemon laws) or illegal sales tactics (fraud or failure to meet contract obligations). These filings are typically made through the state attorney general's office, but it's best to work with the dealer first. Cars depreciate once off the lot, so intervening quickly is important. Your dealership may make an exception, so it never hurts to start there and ask...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I may ask, what are the options and cost for the items you didn't want?

When I negotiated the purchase with the salesperson, he initially showed me a sheet of estimated monthly payments for various loan periods based on a price that included a bunch of dealer add-ons, one of which was something called GAP that is a form of insurance for $895. I made it clear I didn't want any of the options, and asked him to print a new sheet with those taken out of the total, which he did (I thought), resulting in much lower numbers, at which point I picked a row ($475/month for 72 months).

Later, when I went into another room to finalize the paperwork with the finance guy, he tried to pitch me on additional coverage on top of the manufacturer warrant that would add $25 to my payment, for a total of $1800. I declined that as well. I then rapidly signed a million papers without reading them carefully because the payment amount looked correct ($475/month).

After getting home, I went through the papers out of curiosity, and that's when I noticed these items:
* an item just labeled "AFTERMARKET" for $259
* an item labeled "FIDELITY TERM CARE" for $1300 (might be the service the finance guy pitched me)
* the GAP coverage for $895

So that's $2454 worth of additional costs that I did not consent to during the verbal negotiations. I guess they must have calculated the $475 number including them, even though they were supposed to not be there.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,333 Posts
When I negotiated the purchase with the salesperson, he initially showed me a sheet of estimated monthly payments for various loan periods based on a price that included a bunch of dealer add-ons, one of which was something called GAP that is a form of insurance for $895. I made it clear I didn't want any of the options, and asked him to print a new sheet with those taken out of the total, which he did (I thought), resulting in much lower numbers, at which point I picked a row ($475/month for 72 months).

Later, when I went into another room to finalize the paperwork with the finance guy, he tried to pitch me on additional coverage on top of the manufacturer warrant that would add $25 to my payment, for a total of $1800. I declined that as well. I then rapidly signed a million papers without reading them carefully because the payment amount looked correct ($475/month).

After getting home, I went through the papers out of curiosity, and that's when I noticed these items:
* an item labeled "FIDELITY TERM CARE" for $1300 (might be the service the finance guy pitched me)

So that's $2454 worth of additional costs that I did not consent to during the verbal negotiations. I guess they must have calculated the $475 number including them, even though they were supposed to not be there.
$475/month * 72 months = $34,200

That's a lot of money for a Honda Insight EX. What interest rate did they approve you at? Check the fine print for the term care & gap contracts. You might've 60 days to cancel for a full refund.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,064 Posts
$475/month * 72 months = $34,200

That's a lot of money for a Honda Insight EX. What interest rate did they approve you at? Check the fine print for the term care & gap contracts. You might've 60 days to cancel for a full refund.
... on top of whatever the down payment was.

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts

Maybe try the 'fraud' angle with the dealer, as the contract included aspects you did not verbally agree to...

"Aftermarket" sounds like accessory additions from the dealer. Any idea what these are on your car? On my car, they were things like door edge guards and 'pulse' brake light. These adds should in theory be within their cost/control, and hopefully they'll be willing to flex on this for you.

"Fidelity Term Care" looks like it might be this program. Perhaps the fine print allows cancellation within the first 60 days as andrew28 suggested. New Hondas come with 3 yrs/36k miles of Honda Roadside Assistance, which can be a partial substitute for the coverage the dealer tried to include.

"Gap" coverage hopefully can be removed/canceled as well. But generally it's recommended by insurers if your down payment was <20% (since you may own more than the car is worth) and if you drive more than 15k miles per year (high depreciation).

'Time is of the essence' as lawyers say in legal settings... so definitely try contacting your dealer sooner than later. Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Gap" coverage hopefully can be removed/canceled as well. But generally it's recommended by insurers if your down payment was <20% (since you may own more than the car is worth) and if you drive more than 15k miles per year (high depreciation).
GAP seems like an awful deal - $900 to cover a gap between value and loan (which isn't going to be more than a few thousand anyway) in a worst-case scenario. So you're paying $900 for a tiny chance to protect against say $2-6k, which makes no sense, plus you're spending money planning for negative outcomes instead of positive ones. It seems like a scam on it's face - far worse than insurance in blackjack.

Good luck!

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts