Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Honda Insight that is inside of my garage and wont start. I've tried to jump it using both another car and a portable jump starter. The jump starter did nothing. If the other car revved its engine for a few minutes, the push button light came on when I pressed down on the brake. Seems like maybe a defective battery.

I want to get it towed to a shop, but a tow truck wont be able to get it out of my garage and I can't shift it into neutral. I'm having a hard time finding anything about a shift lock release for the Insight. Does anyone know how I could put it into neutral with a dead battery?

·
Registered
242 Posts
When I found out you cannot shift the vehicle into neutral without a working battery I contacted Honda asking if there was a way you could... their answer was no.

I can tell you right now though, replacing the battery is a lot cheaper than a tow truck and you do not need much as tools go. If you are still under warranty, call your dealer and see if they will reimburse you for one of those roadside emergency companies that will come to you.

Anywho, tow trucks do not care if your car is moveable, they can still hoist you up. They style of tow truck used is important however since I bet you do not want to damage your vehicle. Since the Insight is front wheel drive you need to find one that lifts the front wheels and tows you by them.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,643 Posts
You're still under warranty (assuming miles are <36K). Call the dealer. Let them figure how to get it out of the garage. With mine, warranty towing was included. It's not your problem!

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I want to get it towed to a shop, but a tow truck wont be able to get it out of my garage and I can't shift it into neutral. I'm having a hard time finding anything about a shift lock release for the Insight. Does anyone know how I could put it into neutral with a dead battery?
I previously found info for the shift lock release to put a GenX Accord in neutral for towing... but I haven't had "opportunity" (or need) to test it yet. You can watch the steps and see if it's something you want to try, or to use as info to ask/inform your towing company and dealer about.

Definitely have the battery checked, but for grins (?) check when your car was manufactured versus purchased, to estimate the days the car sat on dealer lot. The 12V battery may just be tip of iceberg as an 'obvious' symptom; Honda suggests the Insight be run for 30 minutes at least once every 3 months to keep the HV battery healthy (OM19 pg 477).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,067 Posts
Call your dealership, they have a tool that can release it from park. If you're still within 3 years/36k miles your Insight includes Honda Roadside coverage, too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I found this link on youtube
. I'm not sure if this will work and in my office right now and cant remember if this is what us Insight owner's have. Let me know what happened or what you ended up doing. Sorry, been a while since I've posted or logged in.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I found this link on youtube
. I'm not sure if this will work and in my office right now and cant remember if this is what us Insight owner's have. Let me know what happened or what you ended up doing. Sorry, been a while since I've posted or logged in.
Yes, good find - I also found same and referenced above in link to shift lock release. :) The Insight's powertrain and engine are similar to (but smaller than) the Accord's, and I'm also interested to confirm if it applies to both cars.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yes, good find - I also found same and referenced above in link to shift lock release. :) The Insight's powertrain and engine are similar to (but smaller than) the Accord's, and I'm also interested to confirm if it applies to both cars.
Hmm, interesting. Kinda sucks they took away the easier method to do it from inside the car on push button models.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,643 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Good luck getting your dealer to replace the battery:

In my experience, warranty is worthless for a 12V battery unless the battery is 0V and its towed to the dealer. Just call roadside and let them deal with it. Vehicle came with 3yr roadside apparently...it should be Honda's problem once a warranty defect shows up...sadly this isn't reality...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I previously found info for the shift lock release to put a GenX Accord in neutral for towing... but I haven't had "opportunity" (or need) to test it yet. You can watch the steps and see if it's something you want to try, or to use as info to ask/inform your towing company and dealer about.

Definitely have the battery checked, but for grins (?) check when your car was manufactured versus purchased, to estimate the days the car sat on dealer lot. The 12V battery may just be tip of iceberg as an 'obvious' symptom; Honda suggests the Insight be run for 30 minutes at least once every 3 months to keep the HV battery healthy (OM19 pg 477).
This is interesting. The front five feet of my garage is an overhang storage area. The hood of a car sits
under this overhang. So, if the car can’t be put in neutral without a working battery and if the hood can’t be raised, then a dead battery would mean disassembling the car or moving a ton of stored stuff and tearing down the garage. Right? No, I’m not going to turn around and back into a crowded garage every day. Comments?

·
Registered
458 Posts
This is interesting. The front five feet of my garage is an overhang storage area. The hood of a car sits
under this overhang. So, if the car can’t be put in neutral without a working battery and if the hood can’t be raised, then a dead battery would mean disassembling the car or moving a ton of stored stuff and tearing down the garage. Right? No, I’m not going to turn around and back into a crowded garage every day. Comments?
The Insight battery is located inside the car on the passenger side of the center console.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts