Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Recently got a call from the dealer that I purchased my vehicle from wanting to set up an appointment to install the alarm system. Do all Insights come with a basic factory alarm system installed that is described in the manual?

Even though I paid for the dealership's alarm already I am hesitant about letting them mess with my wiring harnesses to install an aftermarket alarm, especially in a car as high tech as this one. I have not read anything good about these dealer installed alarms, so the factory alarm is good enough for me, I just don't know if the EX has one.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Insight comes with basic factory alarm already described in manual. There's a red flashing light on the driver's dashboard that repeats in intervals after the car is locked. I know the alarm protects at least the doors and radio on my EX; on LX there isn't a smart entry system, but there is still an alarm.

Check to see if the red flashing light I described is already present after the car is locked; if so, you already have the default alarm. Maybe you can get detail from dealer on what additional alarm will be installed as part of what you paid for? I'm guessing it's something like "lo-jack" or other tracking that adds to the existing alarm rather than replacing it.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
Also ironically (?), the manual warns not to alter the alarm system or add devices, at the risk of making the car inoperable. I think you're right to be hesitant about modifications unless/until the dealer explains more.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts
Hello,

Recently got a call from the dealer that I purchased my vehicle from wanting to set up an appointment to install the alarm system. Do all Insights come with a basic factory alarm system installed that is described in the manual?

Even though I paid for the dealership's alarm already I am hesitant about letting them mess with my wiring harnesses to install an aftermarket alarm, especially in a car as high tech as this one. I have not read anything good about these dealer installed alarms, so the factory alarm is good enough for me, I just don't know if the EX has one.

Thanks!
You should already have an alarm from the factory. Ask the dealer to elaborate on what they intend to do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. It looks like they are planning on basically wiring in and adding a shock sensor to the factory system. Not OEM of course.

Considering the manual says not to alter the factory alarm system and that I eventually disabled the alarm in my last car, I think I’ll pass on this addition.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Funny this topic came up at this time, as yesterday I tripped the alarm that I really didn't know it had. I always touch the door handle to arm the blinking LED light, but didn't know if that was an actual alarm, or just the "Immobilizer". So, I'm sitting in the car, didn't think I locked the doors, don't remember if I had started the engine and then shut it down (it was off when this happened), opened the driver's side door and the horn started blasting. I was so surprised that I didn't know what to do at first. I had to dig deep into my pocket to get the key fob out and use that to hit to unlock button to silence the alarm. I guess the alarm actually works! :D

See if you can get your money back. :wink:

Phil

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check to see if I can get a refund, though I think this is a case of the deal is already complete which is fair enough I guess.

Funny you mention the alarm going off... I tried to get mine to go off to test it when I made my original post and could not. Yesterday, I walked away from the car with the key fob in my pocket and the doors locked while my wife was still in the car. The horn startled both of us when it started going off as she opened the door. I guess the alarm works..

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I will check to see if I can get a refund, though I think this is a case of the deal is already complete which is fair enough I guess.
Or ask to exchange it for something of equal value(accessories, oil change vouchers, etc) that you want if they don't want to do a refund.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got my Insight from a close friend's friend who told him to be extra nice to me. The guy did most of the negotiating on my behalf. He did tell me a few things like that the GPS location (lojack) thing comes preinstalled but that if you don't want to pay the extra 900 for it, all they do is turn it off. My dealer really didn't want to take that off the invoice so he brought it down to 300 and bumped up my trade in. The sales guy also said that bringing in a True car estimate and other info really helps with the negotiation.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I got my Insight from a close friend's friend who told him to be extra nice to me. The guy did most of the negotiating on my behalf. He did tell me a few things like that the GPS location (lojack) thing comes preinstalled but that if you don't want to pay the extra 900 for it, all they do is turn it off. My dealer really didn't want to take that off the invoice so he brought it down to 300 and bumped up my trade in. The sales guy also said that bringing in a True car estimate and other info really helps with the negotiation.
If they really did preinstalled the lojack, they would need a lojack rep to come, and remove it. Only the lojack rep knows where they hide the device. I had it installed on my 09 Civic(first time buying a new car and got suckered into getting it to lower the car's price:rolleyes:) and paid $595 for it. Later found out lojack sells them to dealerships for around $200-$250. One benefit of the lojack is that most insurance companies will give you a discount on the comprehensive portion. If you want to see if the lojack still works after the 1st year, lojack charges you to do an inspection($50-$100 if I remember correctly), which I think is stupid considering how much the dealership gouges you on the initial purchase. I didn't spend money on the inspection so never knew if the lojack in my Civic still worked after the 1st year since it never got stolen...

https://www.autonews.com/article/20110706/FINANCE_AND_INSURANCE/110709914/lojack-cuts-dealer-costs-to-boost-sales In interviews last year, the company said its wholesale revenue per unit was in the low- to mid-$200 range. That implies a dealer cost of around $200 to $250 and a dealer margin at full retail price of about $450 to $500.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts