Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just visited the Honda.com website today and noticed that the first thing you see is a picture of the brake assist on front display of a Honda vehicle.

Why would Honda promote this if the technology is not perfected yet? I spoke with a lady yesterday in the lobby of the Honda dealership waiting for my car to get serviced and she said she had a 2018 Accord that sends false warnings of braking when there are no cars around. WOW! this only happens to me when a car comes up on another lane and there is no car immediately in front of me. She even said the car brake sometimes because of this error!

Go to there website NOW.. if they happen to change it, heres a screen shot i took.. It's the first thing that pops up when you enter Honda.com in your web browser and hit enter.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
Hmm... seems to reinforce Honda's belief that this is the best system they can deliver. It's now a standard feature on many of their cars, and perhaps they're 'bragging' a bit that they're ahead of the requirement for this to be standard on all cars by 2022.

·
Registered
10 Posts
as long as the system isn't stopping the car on it's own I don't see the problem. Sometimes my car freaks out when there are cars on the side of the road. I know it's not perfect but I don't think that's hardly an excuse not to have it at all.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
as long as the system isn't stopping the car on it's own I don't see the problem. Sometimes my car freaks out when there are cars on the side of the road. I know it's not perfect but I don't think that's hardly an excuse not to have it at all.

according to what the lady at the dealership was telling me, this is happening.. so basically she would be driving with no other cars around, the brake assist error happens, and the car brakes by itself..the sad thing is i told her to turn it off and she said she doesnt know how to..i guess if it was such a nuisance, she wouldve found a way to turn it off herself..

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm going with the grumpy old man take on these systems. I don't need them. I don't want them. They are a gimmick and do nothing but provide a false sense of security and enable you to divert your attention. LKAS has even tried to steer into the on coming lane. No thanks. What's terrifying is that there are less aware or more trusting drivers out there using these systems.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm going with the grumpy old man take on these systems. I don't need them. I don't want them. They are a gimmick and do nothing but provide a false sense of security and enable you to divert your attention. LKAS has even tried to steer into the on coming lane. No thanks. What's terrifying is that there are less aware or more trusting drivers out there using these systems.
Here is the reason more and more safety tech systems are being installed in the cars. I worked as an auto damage adjuster for 20 years. During that time, I was fortunate to be able to go to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety twice. The last time I was there, back in 2014, while touring the small museum part where they have a number of crashed cars, I was told the reason the insurance companies and auto manufacturers push for and install more safety systems is that studies have shown people don't seem to want to change their BAD, careless driving habits.

While I agree that the safety systems seem to have "kinks" in them, I also see the need for them. Because we now live in a society where everyone is screaming "we have rights", along with that thought seems to be the idea that its okay to make the choice of not paying attention and making too many careless, distracted decisions which cause accidents, injuries, and deaths. Lets hope that the auto companies will continue to work to perfect the AI systems in the cars!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here is the reason more and more safety tech systems are being installed in the cars. I worked as an auto damage adjuster for 20 years. During that time, I was fortunate to be able to go to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety twice. The last time I was there, back in 2014, while touring the small museum part where they have a number of crashed cars, I was told the reason the insurance companies and auto manufacturers push for and install more safety systems is that studies have shown people don't seem to want to change their BAD, careless driving habits.

While I agree that the safety systems seem to have "kinks" in them, I also see the need for them. Because we now live in a society where everyone is screaming "we have rights", along with that thought seems to be the idea that its okay to make the choice of not paying attention and making too many careless, distracted decisions which cause accidents, injuries, and deaths. Lets hope that the auto companies will continue to work to perfect the AI systems in the cars!
i dont want to be their beta tester

·
Registered
836 Posts
I agree! I don't like being a guinea pig either.
Unfortunately you bought a new car, you are a beta tester or guinea pig for multiple industries. Cars are generally designed in 18 months, with limited physical testing. There is simply no way to test a system for 5-10 years, the paint, the suspension etc... even with simulated testing, they can only do so much.

And the worst part is, technology wise, a finished car is still ~1.5-2 years behind the current systems.

Best part is, for the vast majority of the systems, there is a way to turn them off.

Looking at both sides of the coin, the real question is do these advances generally benefit society, or are they a detriment. I find that with the additional technology for me, at least, I am actually more aware and more engaged in my drives. I understand the limitations of the systems, and at no point do I actually trust the car to make the right decision. This "parenting" of the systems actively engages me so much more than just getting in a car and driving. I know this sounds weird, but the few false alarms pique my curiosity.

As a seasoned driver, do I need any of these systems? Not at all. But looking at it from the perspective of my Fiancé who has her permit, and is a very unexperienced driver; she actually turns off/ignores more systems than I do. She doesn't trust ACC, LKAS etc... she would rather drive the vehicle. ****, she wanted the EX, because she had to have the lane assist camera, and she rarely uses it.

This led me to really think about the thought process behind how we use the car. I tend to use the systems to allow me to pay attention to my surroundings more. ACC or LKAS on highways, for long drives gives me a reprieve to focus on what's going on around me more than just what's directly in front of me. It's not that I trust the systems more than she does, but I trust my driving ability more than she does. I don't need to be in absolute control for every second of every drive. Her as a less experienced driver, sees the systems as an added assurance, but also a last resort to keep her from seriously screwing up.

I know, long but this thread really had me thinking about this over the last couple of days.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just realized the forum sensors H E double hockey sticks... lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ahh jeez. Now I'm terrified that drivers really needed assistance systems that badly AND now I'm mad because my insurance company is certainly profitting from my reduced risk. They aren't giving me half of those percentages as a discount.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
Ahh jeez. Now I'm terrified that drivers really needed assistance systems that badly AND now I'm mad because my insurance company is certainly profitting from my reduced risk. They aren't giving me half of those percentages as a discount.
I kinda feel like there's a catch-22 in all of this. Safety equipment is becoming standard, which should reduce accidents and make everyone generally safer. However the same added safety equipment is increasing the cost to replace/repair/calibrate cars when accidents do occur...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I kinda feel like there's a catch-22 in all of this. Safety equipment is becoming standard, which should reduce accidents and make everyone generally safer. However the same added safety equipment is increasing the cost to replace/repair/calibrate cars when accidents do occur...

This technology is still fairly new. As it evolves, my prediction is it will become cheaper and better.

It be interesting to see the numbers on accidents with cars equipped with the new safety features vs cars without (and seeing who was at fault in those accidents).

I wonder if insurance companies release that info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dunno that it gives a false sense of security. I've been driving mine for a week now, and absolutely would not rely on it. Frankly it (and the equivalent tech I had in an outback) feel more like they're training me to drive the car. For a compact car, the insight is really wide, those lane departure warnings really help me get a better sense of where to place myself in the lane. And the the brake warning would probably help me realize I really was too close (although right now they most just remind me that some people try to fill gaps they shouldn't)

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
For a compact car, the insight is really wide, those lane departure warnings really help me get a better sense of where to place myself in the lane.
Ha, yes - the Insight is wide (and long) for a compact car because it technically is midsize based on combined passenger and cargo volume definition. https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/8868-post3.html

My 'Dear Honda' letter would request that they be truthful in marketing the Insight as a midsize vehicle. The dimension numbers/data and definitions don't lie! It's just the marketers that do. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts