Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the misfortune of having someone back into my new 2019 EX in a parking lot today. The car only has about 150 miles on it and the bumper damage is pretty minimal. It's a 3" vertical impression and a 1.5" horizontal scuff (see photos). I'm really not sure what to do with this... it's not very noticeable and the bumper seems to be structurally fine, is having it replaced worth the risk of potentially less-than-new quality job a body shop might do?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,085 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear about the accident. Your car was so 'young'...

The damage does look pretty minimal; wondering if you can get away with 'paintless dent removal' and minor paint touch-up on the plastic bumper? If you choose to do nothing, will the other person's insurance still offer you a damage payment... or does that apply only if you make a repair now? Either way, it doesn't hurt to get an estimate to find out price, options, and perspective to your concern about paint blending.

I had my front and rear bumpers replaced at purchase, due to the dealer improperly installing my OEM parking sensors. The paint colors for the Insight are similar to the Civic (and other Hondas) so are familiar to body shops. I can't really tell the difference between the new and original paint... plus even 'original' bumpers have a finish difference to the rest of car due to different painted surfaces. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/116-what-kind-issues-you-having-your-insight-24.html

Overall, you'll have several options of varying degrees to choose from and hopefully none of it comes out-of-pocket. Your car has a lot miles left to go, so do whatever will give you least angst when you look at the spot in the future!

Good luck, and keep us posted...

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
So I had the misfortune of having someone back into my new 2019 EX in a parking lot today. The car only has about 150 miles on it and the bumper damage is pretty minimal. It's a 3" vertical impression and a 1.5" horizontal scuff (see photos). I'm really not sure what to do with this... it's not very noticeable and the bumper seems to be structurally fine, is having it replaced worth the risk of potentially less-than-new quality job a body shop might do?
It's hard to tell the extent of the damage due to the reflection from the road in your picture. I assume you caught the person and got their insurance information? Have a Honda certified body shop take a look and they should be able to restore it to factory condition. https://owners.honda.com/collision/profirstbodyshop/

·
Registered
836 Posts
Where are you located (doesn't have to be super specific just some landmark within a reasonable commute and state?

2 things at play: If insurance was already notified, just find a Honda dealer with a certified body shop (unless you have Geico, they have dedicated repair centers where their rep actually insures that the work done is satisfactory). There are other insurance companies that do this. Geico was the first that came to mind.

2nd thing: If you aren't going through insurance, go get an estimate or two, and start there.

I don't personally think the bumper needs to be replaced completely. Plastic is very pliable and any decent body guy can reshape it with a little heat, and depending on how deep the scratch is, it may not even need paint, just a quick clear coat blend to return it back to it's previous luster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts