·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From page 464 of the Owners Manual :

Rapidly increasing the deceleration rate by
quickly shifting the deceleration paddle
can cause the tires to skid, resulting in a
crash that could injure or kill someone.

Before I ever saw this warning I'm sure I used the deceleration paddle in just this way, and on more than several occasions. Not once did I ever feel any sudden reaction. Are there any scenarios where one might expect this to cause such a skid ?

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Before I ever saw this warning I'm sure I used the deceleration paddle in just this way, and on more than several occasions. Not once did I ever feel any sudden reaction. Are there any scenarios where one might expect this to cause such a skid ?
Icy or slick/wet road conditions, especially while going downhill (i.e. sudden change in speed, low traction). This is talked briefly in the "Insight in Snow" thread.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the get-go I never expected to use the paddles when on ice or other slippery surfaces. I just wondered if certain speeds or inclines might cause problems.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
From the get-go I never expected to use the paddles when on ice or other slippery surfaces. I just wondered if certain speeds or inclines might cause problems.
I don't think there's a specific speed/incline combination that can be predicted to be trouble, but higher speeds mean less traction. On dry roads it shouldn't be an issue to add regen quickly, but on wet/slick roads, I pause between each regen click just to be sure I don't lose traction as the manual warns.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can this be used to make the car drift? Suppose the road conditions are wet enough
No. Drifting is when the rear tires slip in a controlled oversteer reaction during cornering - the regeneration paddles only work with the front wheels, which would cause understeer - the exact opposite of drifting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's hard for me to imagine the paddles having an effect like that. Relative to mashing on the gas or brakes, the paddle effect is very subtle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts