Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1709 Insights sold in December 2019, down -23% from same month year ago. This brings the total number of Gen3 Insights sold since launch to a total of 36196 units over the past 18 months (or 23686 units in 2019).

Overall Honda sales were also down -12% versus December last year, however total year (YTD) sales for 2019 were about flat versus 2018 (+0.2%).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
From March - August, the Insight sold above 2000 units every month. It seems like low inventory starting in September started to hurt sales. I'm kind of disappointed at the 1,709 units sold but it did sold more than the Toyota Corolla Hybrid (1,545).

Toyota also sold 274,550 hybrids this year vs Honda's 61,978. Honda needs to do more to incentivize hybrid vehicle sales if they want to compete with Toyota.

I noticed Honda doesn't offer special APR rates or cash incentives for their hybrid vehicles...

Toyota currently offers...

• $2000 cash back or 1.9% financing for the Camry Hybrid
  • $1000 cash back for the RAV4 Hybrid
  • $2000 cash back for the Prius
  • $750 cash back for the Corolla Hybrid
Honda currently offers...

• Nothing for Clarity
  • $750 loyalty(must previously own a Honda) cash back for Accord Hybrid
  • Nothing for Insight
:plain:

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From March - August, the Insight sold above 2000 units every month. It seems like low inventory starting in September started to hurt sales. I'm kind of disappointed at the 1,709 units sold but it did sold more than the Toyota Corolla Hybrid (1,545).
[...]
I noticed Honda doesn't offer special APR rates or cash incentives for their hybrid vehicles...
I think recent months are more telling for sales volume. Sep thru Nov 2019 sales only averaged 1578 units per month. Dec 2019 was up versus the average for recent prior months at 1709 units (+8%).
@odigity was able to buy the Insight for $0 down, so it seems like some dealerships are willing to work with buyers. But YMMV since it's not offered as a national program by Honda.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
I think recent months are more telling for sales volume. Sep thru Nov 2019 sales only averaged 1578 units per month. Dec 2019 was up versus the average for recent prior months at 1709 units (+8%).

@odigity was able to buy the Insight for $0 down, so it seems like some dealerships are willing to work with buyers. But YMMV since it's not offered as a national program by Honda.
I don't think he got his loan through a special Honda Financial promo. They usually do low interest rate promos and not $0 down promos. For example, 0.9% APR on the Honda Ridgeline last month.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think he got his loan through a special Honda Financial promo. They usually do low interest rate promos and not $0 down promos. For example, 0.9% APR on the Honda Ridgeline last month.
odigity can best clarify, but I read "Zero down and Honda Financing." If it's correct, then it doesn't hurt to ask dealers for "non-listed" deals as it seems there is flexibility - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/121-2019-honda-insight-pricing-dealers-purchasing-ordering/3844-days-away-2020-time-best-deals-2019-a.html

Just came home with a 2020 Honda Insight EX, white outside, ivory inside. $23,698 + $599 doc fee, no other add-ons. Zero down, Honda financing. (Honda West in Las Vegas)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Toyota also sold 274,550 hybrids this year vs Honda's 61,978. Honda needs to do more to incentivize hybrid vehicle sales if they want to compete with Toyota.

That is HUGE..

For reference point, the s2000 was made from 2000-2009 and was limited as well. I had a 2003 s2k and I would say around the 10 year mark (2013), did I start to notice a significant scarcity in parts, which sucks because if your in a car for long term and buy brand new, that’s usually when you need a lot of parts.

If history holds any key to the life of the current gen Insight, with the first gen made from 2000-2006 and 2nd gen made from 2010-2014, it’s not looking good for the current gen Insight (especially with the popularity of EVs and possibility of many more manufacturers adopting the technology).

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For reference point, the s2000 was made from 2000-2009 and was limited as well. I had a 2003 s2k and I would say around the 10 year mark (2013), did I start to notice a significant scarcity in parts, which sucks because if your in a car for long term and buy brand new, that’s usually when you need a lot of parts.
^^^ This parts scarcity (and high cost) is a concern I share on the Insight... I buy Hondas with the intention of keeping them 'forever' and average life has been almost 30 years per car.

10 years (which is in theory a requirement for OEM parts supply?) is just a drop in the bucket. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/3570-future-availability-parts-service-gen3-insight.html

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sales in Colorado are usually SUV's or pickup trucks. The Dodge Ram 1500 is one of the top sellers here. . . with what, say 12 mpg?
While gas is cheap people will buy their 'urban assault vehicles.'

1 - 8 of 8 Posts