Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Decisions, Decisions...

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  J. Bond 
#1 ·
Hey all,

So, I'm in a bit of a decision pickle. I'm a college student with a relatively well paying job, and I'm looking at hybrid/plug-in hybrid options. As you can tell, I favor the Insight over the other cars I have driven so far. I am comparing the Insight EX to the Insight Touring, KIA Niro Plug-In, and the Audi A3 E-Tron. They're all super different, but I honestly like the Insight the best in terms of style, ride and handling, and feautres for the price.

But, I love the idea of being able to plug in my car to run a few miles gasoline free, and if the Insight had a plug-in option I would already have the car in the parking lot. I also like the hatchback body style the best, so it's a super close race between the Niro and the Insight. Surprisingly, the only thing holding me back on the Niro is the lack of LED headlights on lower trims. My college is in a pretty dark place, so good headlights are a must, plus LED's look better. I do a lot of highway driving into cities, so I am not sure which one would get better gas mileage overall. I do not have regular access to a plug, so it would just be an added bonus. Any insight (get it?) that the wonderful people on this forum can provide would be immensely helpful.

#2 ·
Not to confuse the situation more but if you like the Insight have you checked out the Clarity from Honda? It is a plug in and gets 45 or so miles off one charge. The styling in the front is similar to the Insight but the back 1/4 of the car can be a turn off for some people.

The Clarity is more expensive but you can get the full 7,500 tax credit (check with your tax professional for your personal situation to see if it applies) and depending on which state you live in there could be additional tax credit (again check with your tax professional). Just a thought.

With all that said I am not sure that I would choose a plug in if I did not have regular access to a plug.

I picked the Insight EX because like you I liked the style, ride and handling, and feautres for the price.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I will answer the best that I can.

#4 ·
None of my business, but I couldn’t resist so hope you aren’t offended. Is college paid or you having to get loans? If second, I’d get NONE of above options and just drive cheap car. If first, I’d still not drop 20-30k on new car while in school. You sound like you have your stuff together, good luck regardless. Wish you nothing but success.

#5 ·
We chose to delay getting a PHEV for a few years, and am happy that we got the Insight Touring. With 4 cars (2 grown kids - working, and living with us at home) it'll probably be 3-5 years before we need to replace any of the cars (probably the 2010 Prius) - and I'm expecting that by that time, more manufacturers will have made progress in the PHEV arena, at least at a reasonable, mainstream price. I did research into the Kia Niro PHEV, but ultimately decided to stay with Honda. And so far, I'm glad I did.

#6 ·
Hello. I don't want to deter you from buying a new Insight, but there are plenty of second hand PHEV's that you should also consider. You'd save a considerable amount of money by looking at something like an older Volt, Ioniq, Sonata or Optima . I'm not sure what your commute is like, but the BMW i3 has also seen a huge depreciation.

#7 ·
Thanks all for the feedback! There are a lot of things I did not think about, I completely forgot about the used PHEV space, I took a look and there are pretty decent options out there that fall within my price range. I guess I like the idea of a new car because I was buying this car to have for quite a while and I liked the reliability aspect of it. Also, my parents are helping me with my student loans for a few years when I get out of college and get on my feet, so that is a non-issue for quite some time.

I actually love the i3, but I could never buy one while I was in college. My college is 120 miles from my home, and in the 2 weekends I have had an i3 to drive, it was quite an effort. I could use a second generation EV as my main car, but the first gen EV's with less than 100 miles of range is too much of a hassle for me. I'm still stuck on the Insight, as the dealer I am mainly working with is trying hard to get me the best price possible. If they can get me the terms I want, I might go through them, but I think I will still look elsewhere to see what else might work.

#8 ·
Say that out loud 3x and be honest with yourself. “My parents are helping me with my student loans for a few years when I get out of college”. Is this the new normal outlook for current college students? How about drive cheap car, pay own loans and owe no one anything? Just a thought. No way I’ll be paying my daughters student loans while she finances a new car. None of my business, but it is a public forum and you put it out there.

#9 ·
Also, as far as LED headlights, there is a wide range of opinion on Honda forums and elsewhere on how effective they are per se. I know many don't care what Consumer Reports says but they had issues with many big car co. LED headlights.

Just a thought, just keep getting info. As a person probably older than your parents I too, agree financial issues/debt are important.

#12 ·
"I am driving an older, paid off car now, but the trouble it will give me in the future is not worth the risk."

Stick with your current paid off car. Unless it is already falling apart, and your having to spend several thousand dollars per year, it is far more economical to stick with it.

It sounds more of a case of you WANT to get a new car (hybrid or EV) rather than that you NEED one!

Cars depreciate nearly more than half within a few years, so you're simply throwing your money away.

Graduate, get yourself settled, and have a real full-time job, save up, and then buy the car. In the meantime, help out with some basic college expenses, say tuition and books, or just reduce your folks spending. If they won't take money directly, save up for a trip for them to take a vacation on YOU!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.