Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Thanks insightfully and Andrew. So, not very much of our cars are made from aluminum.
Interestingly, the "dented" area people are seeing above the C-Pillar is a different, stronger material (dark blue = high strength steel) than the surrounding majority areas (gray = mild steel). That section also is added/welded between different steels, which may result in the "dent" variation some people are seeing (?).

Also FYI for those that haven't seen it, these pictures come from the "Emergency Response Guide" published for the Gen3 Insight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
High strength? Mine is full of divots all across it on both sides and when I press the non-dented driver side it flexes. It feels strong to the left and right of it, but it flexes when I press the dented area. That’s probably how my passenger side dented in

edit: actually on second viewing... that’s the weakest of the normally accessible steel in that c-frame area. Now I know not to touch that area.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
High strength? Mine is full of divots all across it on both sides and when I press the non-dented driver side it flexes. It feels strong to the left and right of it, but it flexes when I press the dented area.
If your "dark blue" areas are flexing but the "gray" areas are not, maybe the material is defective (?). The definitions above are based on steel industry standard ranges for tensile strength.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your "dark blue" areas are flexing but the "gray" areas are not, maybe the material is defective (?). The definitions above are based on steel industry standard ranges for tensile strength.
Dark blue definitely flexes. If I press the driver side it bends in and I’m afraid it’ll pop in. Grey is like the trunk, right? The trunk is sturdy as hell

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update: So today I went to turn on my wife’s ‘19 Civic Sport Sedan since she’s working from home for the last few weeks. I noticed that we have almost the same frame so I started feeling the metal where mine is dented at. So I was knocking on it and pressing on it to see how it flexed and and BAM! It made a baby dimple.

As luck would have it she poked her head out just at that moment and saw the dimple. Now I’m in the doghouse LOL.

So... what I learned.... I probably caused that dent and the dimples on my own car. I’m never touching that area again.

On positive news, surely you’ve all seen the video of the chick pulling a dent out with a suction cup dildo. And..... it works. That’s all I’ll say. LOL

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Update: So today I went to turn on my wife’s ‘19 Civic Sport Sedan since she’s working from home for the last few weeks. I noticed that we have almost the same frame so I started feeling the metal where mine is dented at. So I was knocking on it and pressing on it to see how it flexed and and BAM! It made a baby dimple.
How much force would you estimate was "too much" and caused it to dent... like leaning whole-body onto the area? or just hand or fingertip pressure?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am assuming that the sheet metal that covers the high strength steel C-pillar is very thin, and not the C-pillar structure itself being weak. Notice on the photo, the C-pillar has a stamped flat side with hard edges, this might result in a gap between it and the curved sheet metal on the final product.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was just reading that there may be a recall coming for this on Honda Civic sedans.

·
Registered
18 Posts
my 2019 touring doesn’t really have the dimples in the areas mentioned, but it’s a super soft area of the car. I can see it flex just by pressing my fingers on it with moderate pressure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead, and 1st post.

I bought a 2022 Metallic Grey Insight less than a month ago. A couple days of ownership and 133 miles later, I noticed the buckle/warp/crease/dent situation occurring on the driver side rear C pillar, and a little bit of a wave on the passenger side (Mine is actually protrusion from the inside out). I was bounced around the dealer 3 separate times (service referred me to body shop, body shop referred me back to service). Met with the service manager and area Honda rep yesterday. They both recognize the concern, claim they've never seen this before and took pictures. A tech and I went out for a ride so he could hear creaking/rattling that I have. When we got back, the service manager said they looked around their lot and saw multiple Civic's with this concern, so Honda will likely not do anything about it and say its "normal", though the Honda rep would be filling out a field report. I referred to this and the Civic forums where many people have reported the issue since 2016, which of course changed nothing. You'd think that either Honda or the dealer would foot the couple hundred it might take to make someone a bit more satisfied with their purchase. I'll end up calling Honda of America and pleading this, but It's likely I'll pay for PDR out of my own pocket on a car that's less than a month old.

So it looks like Honda continues to produce this body with sub-standard quality. To shed some more light on this issue, I know someone who worked in weld at Honda. When I explained what I have going on, I got a very excited "I knew it! I reported that this would happen, but they didn't listen" from them. in addition to the findings that 2 different strengths of steel are being welded together, they mentioned how Honda went from a dual zone laser weld to a single laser weld (to save on cost), which has less integrity.

Certainly not the biggest deal, but with this and suspension issues being addressed (yep, less than 1k miles on mine and I'm currently driving a loaner Insight), this long time Ford guy is not impressed.

·
Registered
2021 Insight EX
64 Posts
Interesting. I'll have to check my car. I'm with your buddy about the welding of two different steels; that was my early take going through the thread. It's kind of hard to understand why a cosmetically important area would be compromised for a couple of bucks savings. But that's not just Honda, I'm sure.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Too funny, mine has this issue. I assumed something fell on the car as the dimple appeared out of nowhere but there is no damage to the paint to indicate something contacted it with force. It annoyed me when it appeared but I just try to ignore it now. So weird how this appears to be a build quality issue.
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Reactions: jensight

·
Registered
30 Posts
imo these dents were before they were painted a loading rack miss loaded my take
none have paint missing

21 - 40 of 46 Posts