Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Especially if you financed and purchased your car, do not go to these quick lube centers.So about two weeks ago my engine oil life was still at 40% on the maintanence moniter but i took it in to Valvoline to get an oil change anyway. I paid $95 for a full synthetic oil change. And Im about 99 percent sure they either didnt change the oil at all. Or they used cheap conventional oil. When I left valvoline, I drove a few streets away and then stopped and shut the engine off. I waited a few minutes then opened the hood to check the oil level on the car. The oil was dark, same as it was before I went to Valvoline.

I got skeptical and didnt want to leave dirty oil in the car, so I went out and baught all the parts necessary to do an oil change myself. I lifted the car up and when I pulled the drain plug, some very dark and muddy oil got drained out from the car. I changed the oil filter and filled the car back up with a full synthetic oil.

For the following 3 days i checked the oil on the dipstick and it was still clean and transparent, just like when i originally put it in. Yet the oil on the dipstick was dark brown minutes after leaving valvoline.

I called and asked Valvoline about this. They said they specifically remember working on my car and that they put a full synthetic in. They said the color was dark after there oil change because it had cleaned out the oil that was previously in there and got mixed together. Sounds like BS to me. Pretty sure i just got ripped off for $95.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
You got ripped-off at $95 even if they did it correctly! 3.5 quarts of oil (good, Mobil1 AFE stuff, not bulk-in-a-drum), a filter (do you know if they even put the correct filter on?) and crush washer (doubt they replaced that either) should be way under fifty bucks.

This is why I do things myself. That, and it's crazy-simple to do in the Insight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You got ripped-off at $95 even if they did it correctly! 3.5 quarts of oil (good, Mobil1 AFE stuff, not bulk-in-a-drum), a filter (do you know if they even put the correct filter on?) and crush washer (doubt they replaced that either) should be way under fifty bucks.

This is why I do things myself. That, and it's crazy-simple to do in the Insight.
Yup, I agree. Valvoline charges everybody for 5 quarts of oil, even if your car takes less than that. What a scam. I went to walmart and baught 5 quarts of full synthetic Mobil 1 for $23 plus tax. Got a Mobil 1 oil filter for $9.60 plus tax. And also picked up a new drain plug washer from the Honda dealership for .97 cents each. That brings it to a total of about $37 including california tax. Much better deal. Wont ever go to one of those places again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wonder if they drained your transmission fluid and put oil in it. I don't know how possible this is.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
I've never taken any of my cars to a quick lube place and never will...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nope. Do the oil changes myself. It's one of the few things I can still do to my vehicles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used to run to jiffy lube when we were living in an appt in Maryland and had no way to do the oil myself. JL tightened the drain bold hand tight and it took absolutely nothing to remove the drain bolt...won't do that again. That was with a difference car too

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to run to jiffy lube when we were living in an appt in Maryland and had no way to do the oil myself. JL tightened the drain bold hand tight and it took absolutely nothing to remove the drain bolt...won't do that again. That was with a difference car too
Yeah those places are a joke. I guess they're okay if you take in a car you dont care much about. But if its something you're working hard to pay for and keep long term, then its worth the extra effort to do the oil changes yourself and not take any risks going to those places.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts