Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dog barricade?

So my wife and I were planning to buy an EX, but found a great deal on a leftover 2019 Touring so now we have leather. And a hyperactive Australian kelpie with toenails like a garden rake.

I put a seat cover on the back seat, but I'd like to put up some kind of barrier to keep her from jumping up front when I leave her in the car to run an errand. Anyone done this?

I'm looking at something like one of these:

Pikaon Front Seat Barrier

·
Registered
125 Posts
I see you found this one on Amazon. Did you check out the other choices on Amazon as well? They seem to have lots to offer.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
This thread is a life saver for me...well car saver. My goldendoodle has separation anxiety so she will try to get in the front seat. I'll order the barricade! That's going to make life so much easier. Now we just need to do something about her jumping and clawing the windows...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We'll have to compare notes on how effective it is... my fingers are crossed. If there's a way to defeat it, my Aussie kelpie will figure it out.

We have a Kurgo seat cover we use in our Outback... I took it out and put it in the Insight for now. It fits the Subaru great but w/ the leather in the Insight the bottom slides around.

Costco buying gets you a coupon good for 50% of parts and aftermarket stuff, up to a total value of $100... I think I'm going to apply it to a Honda OEM rear seat cover for a Civic and give that a shot. I may invest in a set of Weathertech full pan floor liners for the back, to keep some of the dog hair out of the carpet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have a Kurgo seat cover we use in our Outback... I took it out and put it in the Insight for now. It fits the Subaru great but w/ the leather in the Insight the bottom slides around.
Our Subaru is leather... the weathertech dog cover has a rubberized bottom that keeps it from slipping.... A little spendy... but after years of buying cheap covers this one may last...

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Costco buying gets you a coupon good for 50% of parts and aftermarket stuff, up to a total value of $100... I think I'm going to apply it to a Honda OEM rear seat cover for a Civic and give that a shot. I may invest in a set of Weathertech full pan floor liners for the back, to keep some of the dog hair out of the carpet.
@insightfully got that for his Insight. Maybe he will drop in and provide a recap because I can't find his review post right now.

Edit: Found it! https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/321-interior/114-rear-seat-covers.html#post4504

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to follow up on my other thread and offer two thumbs up for these muddy dog proofing add-ons...

1 - Honda Civic OEM rear seat cover. This is an excellent quality cover that fits perfectly. Made of a pretty heavy neoprene (wet suit) material, fairly easy to install, and still allows access to the seat belts without removing the cover. I got the 60/40 split version and it matches up w/ my Insight Touring seats exactly. Also accommodates the fold down arm rest/cup holder for rear seat people. The only negatives I can think of are that 1) dog hair will "stick" to neoprene and light colors will show (it should vacuum off easily), and 2) it has a "Civic" badge embossed into the seat backs, but it is pretty unobtrusive.

I got mine for $125 bucks, and I think it compares favorably with much more expensive Wet Okle, Coverking, etc... covers costing $250 or mo.

2 - Falcale pet barrier. Cheap, fits our Insights well, and does the job. It relies on elastic bungees and plastic clips to attach, so I would not trust it to hold up to a great dane or a husky, but for a 40 pound cow dog it does the trick. It blends in well to the black interior of my car, and is far enough behind the console that it doesn't get in the way. It doesn't block the back of the console either, which is nice. So far, she hasn't tried to jump over it to get into the front seat... though she does stare at me through the net in the mornings with a "WTF?" expression. I liked it so much I bought a 2nd one for our Subaru.

I still want to do something to protect the rear floor board carpet. My car came with Honda's rubber mats (sort of a must-have for cars sold in the Pacific Northwest), but they don't fully protect the floor pan and center hump. Our Kelpie has a light tan/white undercoat, and when she sheds it out in the spring it ends up getting embedded in the black carpet of our Subaru (and my old VW was more dog than carpet).

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I still want to do something to protect the rear floor board carpet. My car came with Honda's rubber mats (sort of a must-have for cars sold in the Pacific Northwest), but they don't fully protect the floor pan and center hump. Our Kelpie has a light tan/white undercoat, and when she sheds it out in the spring it ends up getting embedded in the black carpet of our Subaru (and my old VW was more dog than carpet).
I bought my Husky floor mats 1 week before I even purchased the Insight. I knew the Honda oem all season rubber floor mats didn't provide enough coverage including no coverage on the rear hump. After 1 year with the Husky it has kept the area underneath like new.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
I bought my Husky floor mats 1 week before I even purchased the Insight. I knew the Honda oem all season rubber floor mats didn't provide enough coverage including no coverage on the rear hump. After 1 year with the Husky it has kept the area underneath like new.
Ha, similarly - I bought seat cover, steering wheel cover, and mats before buying as well. I hadn't decided on a Civic or Insight at the time, but had measured both and saw that those accessories/sizes were interchangeable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts