Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions or guide as to when it's best to use the 4 driving modes? Regular, Eco, Sport, and EV

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don’t know if this is the best methods but what I use those settings for:
1. Eco: what I use for most of my drive for optimal mileage (driving in ACC, keeping speed limit, driving on right slow lanes, etc...lol)
2. Regular: when I’m trying to take off from a stop and am not in the mood to hold up traffic.
3. Sport: when I want to make a fast turn before a cross oncoming traffic or when I want to pass someone.
4. EV: when im in local traffic and have enough power (at least four bars) to drive in EV to prevent automatic transfer to gas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is what I've been using those setting for:

Eco: Flat highway/freeway/carpool lane

Regular: Suburbs, City, Uphill highway/freeway/carpool lanes, and takeoff from stoplights.

Sport: Takeoff from stop signs, crossing busy intersections, and merging on highway/freeway
EV: Not used, but I like what was posted above and will try it in local traffic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I read a lot about people using max reg. I really wonder if that is necessary. I spend nearly all my time in Adaptive Cruise Control. I suspect it uses as much regen as possible. It is about the only time I see my charge needle near 75% of the charge scale.

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts
I'm using ECO all the time. All it seems to do is smooth out (dampen) control inputs onver normal mode. I can still take off like a bat out of **** if I want - I just need to hit the throttle more. Than again, I have a 50-mile farm road commute with a 45mph average speed limit and nearly zero traffic. I've only ever uses sport mode to see what it was like. It was noisy and favored engine over battery. It was cool being pushed into the back of the seat, but not worth the significant mileage hit. Regular vs. normal is essentially the same but with control input dampening.

EV will only work if:

You stay below the "power" band of the meter
You have more than three battery bars
The engine is not cold
The cabin is not actively being heated

That said, I'll kick in EV mode if enough battery exists and I'm on a slight upgrade where there is a downhill immediately thereafter.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I read a lot about people using max reg. I really wonder if that is necessary. I spend nearly all my time in Adaptive Cruise Control. I suspect it uses as much regen as possible. It is about the only time I see my charge needle near 75% of the charge scale.
Can you talk about that more? My gut tells me that adaptive cruise control, just like cruise control, is focusing on MPH instead of MPG.

I like to use Sport when I'm merging onto the freeway, EV when I'm on a straightaway in traffic (no temptation to accelerate), and Eco everywhere else. I did try my daily commute in both Eco and normal. 48 MPG normal, 52 MPG Eco. My commute is 30 miles one way and very hilly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My boss has a Tesla and will occasionally take us out to lunch. He likes to be in our parking lot and punch the gas pedal to show its amazing acceleration. The sports mode is about 3/4 the acceleration of that. Still fun when they kids are not paying attention and I got a bit of good road ahead of me. Otherwise, it's a bit noisy.

I'm using ECO all the time. All it seems to do is smooth out (dampen) control inputs onver normal mode. I can still take off like a bat out of **** if I want - I just need to hit the throttle more. Than again, I have a 50-mile farm road commute with a 45mph average speed limit and nearly zero traffic. I've only ever uses sport mode to see what it was like. It was noisy and favored engine over battery. It was cool being pushed into the back of the seat, but not worth the significant mileage hit. Regular vs. normal is essentially the same but with control input dampening.

EV will only work if:

You stay below the "power" band of the meter
You have more than three battery bars
The engine is not cold
The cabin is not actively being heated

That said, I'll kick in EV mode if enough battery exists and I'm on a slight upgrade where there is a downhill immediately thereafter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was driving normal all the time because I was tired of having to floor it all the time like in ECO but I've gone back to Eco for the mileage. I just switch between sport and eco. I have found that hills can be a mpg killer. My commute to work which is overall downhill I get high 50s to 60 and back home in the 40's.
I do like the acceleration from a complete stop. That little jump gets past many of the gas powered folks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Can you talk about that more? My gut tells me that adaptive cruise control, just like cruise control, is focusing on MPH instead of MPG.

I like to use Sport when I'm merging onto the freeway, EV when I'm on a straightaway in traffic (no temptation to accelerate), and Eco everywhere else. I did try my daily commute in both Eco and normal. 48 MPG normal, 52 MPG Eco. My commute is 30 miles one way and very hilly.
I've tested and found that ACC on highway does change the battery charging profile. With ACC from speeds of 52-68 I've noticed that the car in normal will charge to 80%, switch to EV, and discharge back to 40%. It will even hold EV beyond the blue section of the power band. It's a very repetitive cycle that yields better gas mileage than the standard, ev engagement system, during my testing, I've noticed at least a 3mpg higher average with ACC versus manual speed control.

Generally I use ECO for 45 mph or slower, roads.
Normal for 55+ highway.
Sport is only used situationally, either for forced battery charging, or when I need the Powa!!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Are there any situations in which you prefer to use/select EV mode?
Absolutely, especially when I know the route well. I've managed several 5-6 mile drives in the 100+ mpg area using traffic circles, and 30mph roads with long descents to my advantage.

I'll force EV mode when I have battery built up, especially after a cold start where a few traffic lights killed my mpg average.

I also use it for acceleration as well, say from a red light to 40mph, and switch back off to eco when conditions seem appropriate. I don't use it however when I am in traffic, or if I am concerned with terrain. My goal is to only have the ICE running while the vehicle is moving. It hurts on the inside when I pull up to a light and the engine is still running because the battery got so depleted.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was driving normal all the time because I was tired of having to floor it all the time like in ECO but I've gone back to Eco for the mileage. I just switch between sport and eco.......
Page 467 of the my downloaded owners manual states; "The ECON mode helps you improve your fuel economy by adjusting the performance of the climate control system and the accelerator pedal response." Looks like your experience might fit in the "..adjusting.. the accelerator pedal response" area?

I've been doing pretty much what Wifey'sInsight says below. However I'll also push the SPORT button about a mile prior to a major hill climb, to build up the battery before I get there. (A stronger battery seems to yield lower prm during the climb!!) Often I'll push SPORT again to turn it off 3/4 of the way up the hill, and even push EV on (if 3-4 bars are available) for the final push to the top.

Generally I use ECO for 45 mph or slower, roads.
Normal for 55+ highway.
Sport is only used situationally, either for forced battery charging, or when I need the Powa!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Absolutely, especially when I know the route well. I've managed several 5-6 mile drives in the 100+ mpg area using traffic circles, and 30mph roads with long descents to my advantage.

I'll force EV mode when I have battery built up, especially after a cold start where a few traffic lights killed my mpg average.

I also use it for acceleration as well, say from a red light to 40mph, and switch back off to eco when conditions seem appropriate. I don't use it however when I am in traffic, or if I am concerned with terrain. My goal is to only have the ICE running while the vehicle is moving. It hurts on the inside when I pull up to a light and the engine is still running because the battery got so depleted.
I'm doing the same!!! .... 3-4 bars is enough to "force''' EV. If there is a flat stretch as part of a long hill climb I'll try to force EV off - ICE on, for low rpm battery charging - anticipating the next "leg" of the hill climb.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I know I've posted about it before, but Sport mode use for me is 99% about battery charging.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I was driving normal all the time because I was tired of having to floor it all the time like in ECO but I've gone back to Eco for the mileage. I just switch between sport and eco. I have found that hills can be a mpg killer. My commute to work which is overall downhill I get high 50s to 60 and back home in the 40's.
I do like the acceleration from a complete stop. That little jump gets past many of the gas powered folks.
I do sport mode sometimes to switch to the correct lane after I get the green light. It's fun and I don't have to worry about people speeding up fast enough to prevent me from doing the lane change majority of the time. (Not possible in a Prius :p)

You will get use to the ECO gas pedal feel if you use it more often. I didn't like the slow lag like feel initially until I forced myself to use it more. Driving in ECO will retrain your lead foot and reward you with better MPGs. :smile_big:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I continue to find it interesting how many people use ECO mode. My testing, reasonably scientific, continues to show NORMAL mode gives me better results. On the question of battery charge and running on EV, I found under most conditions you can force the car into EV by taking your foot off the gas for a few seconds.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
I continue to find it interesting how many people use ECO mode. My testing, reasonably scientific, continues to show NORMAL mode gives me better results. On the question of battery charge and running on EV, I found under most conditions you can force the car into EV by taking your foot off the gas for a few seconds.
I find speed/conditions play a role. Eco mode seems to yield more battery- and/or mpg- efficiency than Normal mode for my non-highway driving (<45 mph).

How do you now think about when to apply Eco mode (if you use it at all any longer)?:

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I use normal mode for highway and eco for city driving. We call that the pulse and glide technique for triggering EV mode without needing to push the EV button. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts