Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Check me to see if my thinking is right. I have come to realize that keeping things in the blue means the engine output is sufficient to provide all power that is needed (and then some) based on the demand. Anything between the needle and top line of the blue, while the engine is running, is excess and is banked in the batteries as engine output exceeds what is being drawn to power the wheels. This may be a dirty assumption, but it's my perception after 30,000 miles.
Thank you very much for your questions. It looks like my thinking about the colors is a bit different. I'm at about 13.5k miles.

I assume that the needle of the Power Meter is telling you, on a moment to moment basis, the total amount of power that the system is putting out. The colors referred to are just convenient portions of the meter read-out for ease of communication. At a given moment in time, and a given point on the meter dial, a given total amount of electric power is flowing. That power could all come from the battery (EV mode), all from the ICE (direct drive over 50 mph mostly) or some combination of both. Some of that power could be used to turn the wheels, some flowing back into the battery, or some combination of both. One of the screens gives you a moment by moment picture of this, and its all computer controlled.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I continue to find it interesting how many people use ECO mode. My testing, reasonably scientific, continues to show NORMAL mode gives me better results. On the question of battery charge and running on EV, I found under most conditions you can force the car into EV by taking your foot off the gas for a few seconds.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
I continue to find it interesting how many people use ECO mode. My testing, reasonably scientific, continues to show NORMAL mode gives me better results. On the question of battery charge and running on EV, I found under most conditions you can force the car into EV by taking your foot off the gas for a few seconds.
I find speed/conditions play a role. Eco mode seems to yield more battery- and/or mpg- efficiency than Normal mode for my non-highway driving (<45 mph).

How do you now think about when to apply Eco mode (if you use it at all any longer)?:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,806 Posts
I use normal mode for highway and eco for city driving. We call that the pulse and glide technique for triggering EV mode without needing to push the EV button. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I try and use normal in stop/go traffic and then ECON on the highway. I do use the paddles every time I stop. I do use sport mode occasionally. Am I doing something wrong?
The Normal and ECON mode only change the responsiveness of the pedal. In the +2 years that I have owned my 2019 EX, I have kept it in Normal mode exclusively with great results. I hate the unresponsive feel of ECON and I never had to use Sports mode. I have "trained" my foot to the feel of the pedal and do all 3, at will, without pressing buttons, just with different pressure on the pedal. Also, I have gotten so used to the paddles, that when I drive a normal car, I instinctively try to engage the "paddle" when approaching a stop light...LOL :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
The Normal and ECON mode only change the responsiveness of the pedal. In the +2 years that I have owned my 2019 EX, I have kept it in Normal mode exclusively with great results. I hate the unresponsive feel of ECON and I never had to use Sports mode. I have "trained" my foot to the feel of the pedal and do all 3, at will, without pressing buttons, just with different pressure on the pedal. Also, I have gotten so used to the paddles, that when I drive a normal car, I instinctively try to engage the "paddle" when approaching a stop light...LOL :LOL:
ECON will change the HVAC to recirculate to save energy as well. I'm sure there's more to it then that and throttle response. I've been in ECON mode 99% of the time since new. One gets used to the slower throttle response after a while. The hard part is the tank or two it takes to get used to it :)

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
ECON will change the HVAC to recirculate to save energy as well. I'm sure there's more to it then that and throttle response. I've been in ECON mode 99% of the time since new. One gets used to the slower throttle response after a while. The hard part is the tank or two it takes to get used to it :)
You've got them both... Econ mode affects climate control and throttle (OM19 pg 467).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hasn't it been floated around these forums that Econ vs. Normal also has an impact on how the computer deals with HV battery charge and where it tries to keep the battery levels? I don't know if that's true since it's not in the manual, so just speculation based on experience.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
Hasn't it been floated around these forums that Econ vs. Normal also has an impact on how the computer deals with HV battery charge and where it tries to keep the battery levels? I don't know if that's true since it's not in the manual, so just speculation based on experience.
I believe this is true as well. In my ECO experience, battery fluctuated between 4 and 2 bars. Extra regen from hills and stops got it above 4 often. The reserve to store extra energy is probably why I do so well on rolling hills types of drives. If you have nowhere to store bled off energy, it's a waste.

I've done a tank or two of driving in normal mode. There, the battery fluctuates between 4-8 bars. Sport mode keeps even more battery in reserve for those time you really want to mash the throttle..

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
I use ECON Mode all the time unless I gonna be over 50 mph for more than a few minutes.
The reduced pedal pressure is noticeable for highway travel.
I also normally stay in Econ mode, but noticed yesterday that it put me in the "gray" to maintain ~65 mph. I switched to Normal mode at the same speed and terrain and the needle dropped into the blue. Maybe another reason in addition to pedal pressure that Normal is more optimal for highway driving.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I also normally stay in Econ mode, but noticed yesterday that it put me in the "gray" to maintain ~65 mph. I switched to Normal mode at the same speed and terrain and the needle dropped into the blue. Maybe another reason in addition to pedal pressure that Normal is more optimal for highway driving.
I've had a similar experience. But I suspected it was primarily psychological impression rather than something real.

So I did a test, same road about 5 miles 50 mph using cruise control. I got nearly the same mpg in normal mode as I did in Econ mode. I did both runs with cruise control on to correct for small changes in foot pressure or position.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been using EV Mode + Sport Mode + Max Regen with climate control OFF when leaving my house, leaving work, arriving home, arriving to work to keep a max charge in the battery before getting on the highway for a 15 minute ride. On the highway I've been switching between Ecco and Normal, using Ecco on flat, level stretches and down hill and using Normal for inclines. Temps have been steady at 35 - 40 F lately and I've been consistently getting 40 - 45 mpg. I also took the advice of another member and stopped warming up my car. I'm only using the EV Mode + Sport Mode + Max Regen + Climate Control Off at low speeds (30 - 35 mph staying in the blue range) just to charge the battery fast. I've been tinkering with the EV/Sport Mode Regen combo at speeds at or below 35 mph and I've been able to squeeze out 10 - 20 more MPG while going to the grocery store and gas station on my day off. If that EV Mode could stay on longer in Sport Mode this car could easily get 75 MPG.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
323 Posts
I've been using EV Mode + Sport Mode + Max Regen with climate control OFF when leaving my house, leaving work, arriving home, arriving to work to keep a max charge in the battery before getting on the highway for a 15 minute ride. On the highway I've been switching between Ecco and Normal, using Ecco on flat, level stretches and down hill and using Normal for inclines. Temps have been steady at 35 - 40 F lately and I've been consistently getting 40 - 45 mpg. I also took the advice of another member and stopped warming up my car. I'm only using the EV Mode + Sport Mode + Max Regen + Climate Control Off at low speeds (30 - 35 mph staying in the blue range) just to charge the battery fast. I've been tinkering with the EV/Sport Mode Regen combo at speeds at or below 35 mph and I've been able to squeeze out 10 - 20 more MPG while going to the grocery store and gas station on my day off. If that EV Mode could stay on longer in Sport Mode this car could easily get 75 MPG.
Not sure what you mean by EV mode + Sport mode? How would EV charge the battery?

·
Registered
302 Posts
GEE !!! A VERY impressive improvement in mpg!! Showing very clearly that all the stuff being said on the forum really works !!

Yes a 75 mpg tankful is possible. I record all the gas I put in the car at Fuelly. I have two tankfuls at 77.x mpg and often hit 73 -75 mpg in the summer (this is suburban - rural driving in the 30-50 mph range mostly 35-42 mph)

·
Registered
302 Posts
It's an interesting technique that @mcm626 shared: start in Sport mode at max regen, then press EV mode and max regen stays on - How to use the Regen Paddles?
I've been experimenting with that ,with the current colder overnight temperatures (mid 30's). I've been doing it to warm up the engine faster, and yes I've been getting better mpg for days with over 20 miles of travel. Does not seem to matter much for days with under 10 miles of travel. But haven't looked at it closely, these are just first impressions.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
323 Posts
It's an interesting technique that @mcm626 shared: start in Sport mode at max regen, then press EV mode and max regen stays on - How to use the Regen Paddles?
Oh. Is there an advantage of doing that instead of just using the brake pedal? Genuinely trying to understand haha (I have personally given up on regen paddles, except last weekend when I got stuck in a noreaster...).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not sure what you mean by EV mode + Sport mode? How would EV charge the battery?
EV mode = the far right button on the center console that says in white "EV"
When the center Sport mode is on. the engine runs longer to charge the H'V battery to a higher state of charge, before turning itself off.

I think he is referring to strategicallly pushing those buttons to get max engine off operation of the car, and thus higher mpg per tankful.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Oh. Is there an advantage of doing that instead of just using the brake pedal? Genuinely trying to understand haha (I have personally given up on regen paddles, except last weekend when I got stuck in a noreaster...).
The potential advantage is being able to keep the "max regen" level on for longer, to build/maintain HV charge faster. Only Sport mode allows you to set max regen (level 3) and leaves it on under all driving conditions. All other modes override the max regen selection after acceleration or braking and resets it back to minimum regen level.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts