Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
323 Posts
The potential advantage is being able to keep the "max regen" level on for longer, to build/maintain HV charge faster. Only Sport mode allows you to set max regen (level 3) and leaves it on under all driving conditions. All other modes override the max regen selection after acceleration or braking and resets it back to minimum regen level.
Any regen level is just equivalent to a certain foot position on the break pedal, correct? To me if you need max regen the second you lift off your foot from the pedal it probably means you accelerated too hard...

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Any regen level is just equivalent to a certain foot position on the break pedal, correct? To me if you need max regen the second you lift off your foot from the pedal it probably means you accelerated too hard...
Constant max regen has a different 'resistance' feel than using the brake pedal, so I think they're different. Max regen feels like it gets closest to the "one pedal driving" that Prius and Tesla owners talk about. I think the idea of constant max regen is to recapture as much energy as possible at all times, rather than having to trigger it manually (when not in Sport mode). But you're right that the energy needs to come from somewhere - be it over-acceleration or a downhill stretch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
GEE !!! A VERY impressive improvement in mpg!! Showing very clearly that all the stuff being said on the forum really works !!

Yes a 75 mpg tankful is possible. I record all the gas I put in the car at Fuelly. I have two tankfuls at 77.x mpg and often hit 73 -75 mpg in the summer (this is suburban - rural driving in the 30-50 mph range mostly 35-42 mph)
Try to use the Sport Mode + Max Regen + EV Mode combo at low speeds like 35 mph or less especially when you're driving through your own neighborhood while going home to charge the battery for the next trip. I've been doing this for the last 5 days and I see the difference on the trip computer, even when temps dip below freezing. I just remember some of the things you and others have been saying and I applied to my own experiments. On the Highway I swap between Norm and Ecco (Norm for inclines and Ecco for the rest). Stopped using remote start and started starting every trip in sport mode + max reg + climate control off until the battery is full. This car is amazing. I just wish Honda wouldn't have held the car back with the combustion engine + electric motor combo. They should have put two electric motors in it and with that CVT I'm certain this car could easily hit a zero to 60 in 5 seconds, just based on the burst of power that you get when in sport mode.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try to use the Sport Mode + Max Regen + EV Mode combo at low speeds like 35 mph or less especially when you're driving through your own neighborhood while going home to charge the battery for the next trip. I've been doing this for the last 5 days and I see the difference on the trip computer, even when temps dip below freezing. I just remember some of the things you and others have been saying and I applied to my own experiments. On the Highway I swap between Norm and Ecco (Norm for inclines and Ecco for the rest). Stopped using remote start and started starting every trip in sport mode + max reg + climate control off until the battery is full. This car is amazing. I just wish Honda wouldn't have held the car back with the combustion engine + electric motor combo. They should have put two electric motors in it and with that CVT I'm certain this car could easily hit a zero to 60 in 5 seconds, just based on the burst of power that you get when in sport mode.
For people who might be confused about what I mean about Sport Mode + Max Regen + EV Mode

1. Put your Insight in Sport Mode with Max Regen
2. drive until the battery is full then engage EV Mode

Experiment
Tinker
Have fun!

·
Registered
302 Posts
For people who might be confused about what I mean about Sport Mode + Max Regen + EV Mode

1. Put your Insight in Sport Mode with Max Regen
2. drive until the battery is full then engage EV Mode

Experiment
Tinker
Have fun!
After pushing button for Sport mode on the center console how do I access "Max Regen" ?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
After pushing button for Sport mode on the center console how do I access "Max Regen" ?
In sport mode, just hit the regen paddle to the max setting. In sport mode, it will stay there until cancelled manually or exiting sport mode.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Pull the left regen paddle twice to get to level 3 / ">>>" regen. (Level 1 / ">" regen is always on.) :) In Sport mode, the regen level selection stays on permanently despite acceleration or braking (OM19 pg 466).

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've tried this the last 2 days with good results. I've had to temper my pressure on the throttle. But in my 11 mile round trip commute (speed limit is 30-45 MPH) I've been averaging 42 mpg vs the 35 mpg I was getting using ECO.

For reference I'm A 2020 Touring owner on the cold Canadian Prairies with winter gas and 16" Kuhmo winter tires on steel rims. I was even nice enough to do all the conversions for the Yanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've tried this the last 2 days with good results. I've had to temper my pressure on the throttle. But in my 11 mile round trip commute (speed limit is 30-45 MPH) I've been averaging 42 mpg vs the 35 mpg I was getting using ECO.

For reference I'm A 2020 Touring owner on the cold Canadian Prairies with winter gas and 16" Kuhmo winter tires on steel rims. I was even nice enough to do all the conversions for the Yanks!
That is starting to be a significant improvement. I wonder if we can attribute it to two things:

1) warming up the engine to operating temperature faster with Sports mode (as somebody described a while ago here) (I have personally observed little change with that technique)
2) starting up with a higher SOC (I have observed myself that it yields better results)
... rather than the "max regen" thing?

But please you guys keep testing! I have unfortunately nowhere to drive to these days 🤣

·
Registered
64 Posts
Normally with ECO and using the Regen paddles I typically can't get the battery over 5 bars. I would typically go EV mode leaving from a stop, otherwise I would be EV only while driving.

Especially now with sub zero temps here I can't get into EV in ECO with the cabin constantly heating. This new way I believe the cabin heats quicker along me more opportunities for EV only

·
Registered
302 Posts
That is starting to be a significant improvement. I wonder if we can attribute it to two things:

1) warming up the engine to operating temperature faster with Sports mode (as somebody described a while ago here) (I have personally observed little change with that technique)
2) starting up with a higher SOC (I have observed myself that it yields better results)
... rather than the "max regen" thing?
I've lately (since fall '20) become more of a fan for the warmer engine hypothesis. Mostly because I became aware of how much more of an effect temperature has on hybrid mpg than temperature has on ICE only cars.

I've developed the habit of using the left paddle as part of my braking process for ALL slowing down or braking needs. I only use the foot brakes when additional stopping power is needed. So I am effectively using "max Regen" all of the time, independent of mode.

The habit has gotten so strong, that last year when I flew to LA and rented a car. I was still flipping a non-existent paddle with my left fingers, when I needed to slow the car just a little. So nice, to get back home to my Insight which has a REAL left finger paddle shifter. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts

That Sport Mode + Max Regen combo at low speeds has been a game changer for me. Yesterday temps were around freezing after I left work at 11 pm and I manage to squeeze out 44 mpg! Not only does that combo seem to charge the battery to near maximum within a +-5 minute window, it also seems to warm up the engine alot faster. I'm so excited about this. I can only imagine what kind of fuel economy I'll be getting when the temps warm up in 6 to 8 weeks.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
That Sport Mode + Max Regen combo at low speeds has been a game changer for me. Yesterday temps were around freezing after I left work at 11 pm and I manage to squeeze out 44 mpg! Not only does that combo seem to charge the battery to near maximum within a +-5 minute window, it also seems to warm up the engine alot faster. I'm so excited about this. I can only imagine what kind of fuel economy I'll be getting when the temps warm up in 6 to 8 weeks.
As the temps warm, I wonder where the break-even point will be, where ambient temperatures are good enough or equal to needing to manage the drive mode(s). I'm thinking this would be somewhere in the low- to mid- 50's F (?).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Living in Canada, on the Prairies, I will say that using Econ in the summer makes a difference.

I was getting 56-62 mpg over the summer when I got my Insight in June. I've plummeted to 35-36 using Econ in the winter. In the 2 weeks I've using Sport with Max Regen I've moved back up to 40-42 mpgs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As the temps warm, I wonder where the break-even point will be, where ambient temperatures are good enough or equal to needing to manage the drive mode(s). I'm thinking this would be somewhere in the low- to mid- 50's F (?).
This spring will the first warm season I've had with my Insight and I'll keep on tinkering, experimenting, and taking advice from you and others here. I'll keep the 50 - 55 F threshold in mind come March. ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
The key is to get the engine warmed up quickly. In my area with temps. in the high 40's - low 50's most days, the key to a break even point would how cold it got overnight.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Constant max regen has a different 'resistance' feel than using the brake pedal, so I think they're different. Max regen feels like it gets closest to the "one pedal driving" that Prius and Tesla owners talk about. I think the idea of constant max regen is to recapture as much energy as possible at all times, rather than having to trigger it manually (when not in Sport mode). But you're right that the energy needs to come from somewhere - be it over-acceleration or a downhill stretch.
I tried yesterday and I now see what you mean with the "one pedal driving". The car actually starts "breaking" even before the accelerator is fully released. So I can see how that could be beneficial.

I did not see a benefit in mpg in a 4mi trip @ 40°F, but that was probably too short.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts