Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the driver attention menu do on the dash? There's a cup of coffee and then what? Are there points/badges or trophies, or do thing get added to the cup? Just confused why they would put this in the car?

·
Administrator
4,786 Posts
In theory, seeing the cup alert isn't a good thing. The car monitors steering patterns to determine if the driver is drowsy or inattentive. 4 bars is maximum attention. 2 bars triggers "Driver Attention Level Low" message. 1 bar triggers "Time for a Break" message plus beep and steering wheel vibration. The alert message clears via selector wheel or when driver attention returns to maximum level. There are some descriptions of it on p144 to p146 of Owners Manual, including customization of alert type and/or turning it off completely.

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
I won't lie, on road trips I've used LKAS/ACC to give myself the freedom to grab a water bottle to drink, or look down to plug my phone or other device into a USB port.

I haven't tried the "tricking" the system thing, but I will attest that I too find myself more able to "look around" while driving, even if it's just at a skyline or reading a billboard. Something I'd never have been able to feel comfortable doing in any other vehicle.

This brings up a question I forgot to ask, does anyone know how the driver attention thing works in our cars? Almost through New Jersey the car kept popping up "driver attention" warnings. I don't know if Cornelius just wanted me to pull over at a rest stop and stretch my legs...

The thing I found odd was that at first I thought maybe it's a timer based thing, but it didn't happen on our way back, although we did stop at least twice more on the way back than on the way down.

·
Administrator
4,786 Posts
This brings up a question I forgot to ask, does anyone know how the driver attention thing works in our cars? Almost through New Jersey the car kept popping up "driver attention" warnings. I don't know if Cornelius just wanted me to pull over at a rest stop and stretch my legs...

The thing I found odd was that at first I thought maybe it's a timer based thing, but it didn't happen on our way back, although we did stop at least twice more on the way back than on the way down.
Honda introduced the 'Driver Attention Monitor' on in 2017 on the CR-V, and described it in most detail at manuals/documentation of that time: https://www.hondainfocenter.com/CR-...nterior/Driver-Attention-Monitor-EX-and-above
  • Uses angle sensor to measure degree of steering wheel corrections to maintain lane position.
  • Too much correction activity can trigger the 'inattention' alert.
The alert level can be adjusted for a drive via the DII or Infotainment menu (Off / Tactile only / Tactile & Audible), but the visual alert is always on. It resumes its default "ALL ON" condition once the car is re-started OR if the driver unfastens seat belt and opens the door while car is stopped.

It does not activate when the car is traveling <25 mph, there issues with the electric power steering system, LKAS is active, the car is on choppy roads, windy weather conditions, or the driver is operating the car 'assertively' (OM p146).

I think it must also compare 'steering wheel input' patterns versus what the car thinks the right road path is (RDM? - since not active when LKAS is on?) and/or a 'normal' level of movements to the steering wheel.

Maybe there were differences between your outbound and return drive that resulted in different feedback result - like the road quality (bumpy?), lighting conditions (assuming comparison to camera lane detection), 'assertive' driving level (lane changes or acceleration), road width, or wind conditions...?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Honda introduced the 'Driver Attention Monitor' on in 2017 on the CR-V, and described it in most detail at manuals/documentation of that time: https://www.hondainfocenter.com/CR-...nterior/Driver-Attention-Monitor-EX-and-above
  • Uses angle sensor to measure degree of steering wheel corrections to maintain lane position.
  • Too much correction activity can trigger the 'inattention' alert.
The alert level can be adjusted for a drive via the DII or Infotainment menu (Off / Tactile only / Tactile & Audible), but the visual alert is always on. It resumes its default "ALL ON" condition once the car is re-started OR if the driver unfastens seat belt and opens the door while car is stopped.

It does not activate when the car is traveling <25 mph, there issues with the electric power steering system, LKAS is active, the car is on choppy roads, windy weather conditions, or the driver is operating the car 'assertively' (OM p146).

I think it must also compare 'steering wheel input' patterns versus what the car thinks the right road path is (RDM? - since not active when LKAS is on?) and/or a 'normal' level of movements to the steering wheel.

Maybe there were differences between your outbound and return drive that resulted in different feedback result - like the road quality (bumpy?), lighting conditions (assuming comparison to camera lane detection), 'assertive' driving level (lane changes or acceleration), road width, or wind conditions...?

https://youtu.be/sZzeZvYNlYw?t=55
Definitely more LKAS driving the way down there, and much more @ highway speed.
On the way back got caught in several major traffic jams, and probably averaged less than 45mph total trip.

·
Administrator
4,786 Posts
Definitely more LKAS driving the way down there, and much more @ highway speed.
On the way back got caught in several major traffic jams, and probably averaged less than 45mph total trip.
Sounds like speed was a big difference. The original CR-V design/documentation for this also mentioned that the monitor only kicked in for drives that were >30 minutes in duration, but I think Honda has 'improved' this to kick in with shorter start time since 2017.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts