Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2022 Honda Insight Touring and noticed the other night the driver side taillight does not come on. The brake lights and turn signals on that side works and everything works on the passenger side. First thought is a blown fuse, but the owner's manual doesn't label any of the fuses under the hood or under the dash for taillight. I see stop lights, fog light, even a fuse for DRL but nothing for taillight. I searched the forum and didn't find anything related to taillight fuses. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great :). I hate to take it to the dealer if it's something as simple as a blown fuse but maybe the LED taillight itself is bad (which seems odd).

Note - the car does have two addons connected to the electrical system. The factory spoiler which is tied into the brake light and still works and a small, powered sub (connected to the OEM sub) which also still works. Other than that, completely stock.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Have you tried switching the current tail lights around so that the bad one is installed on the passenger side? If the failure remains on the driver's side then you will have eliminated a bad bulb as the culprit. Other wise, if the problem follows the bulb location then you will have uncovered the problem. The other thing to look at is the modifications that you have made to the electrical system. If at all possible, try disconnecting those, just to rule them out as possible culprits. I would suspect a bad bit of wiring where those add-ons were made, especially one of those solderless clip on connectors were used. Has that bulb ever worked before? If not, you might try to see if you can pull it out and reverse it when plugging it back in, assuming that the socket will allow you to do that. My guess is trhat the bub did work at some time but it never hurts to eliminate the obvious and the easy stuff first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to clarify I’m talking about these lights (the ones lit up). Do they use a bulb or are they led strips? Also both pieces aren’t working - the one on the car body and the one on the trunk.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,804 Posts
Just to clarify I’m talking about these lights (the ones lit up). Do they use a bulb or are they led strips? Also both pieces aren’t working - the one on the car body and the one on the trunk.

View attachment 7609
The lights in question are LEDs. The only non-LED exterior bulbs are the rear turn signals and backup lights.

Since both pieces (body and trunk) are inoperative, a dealer visit for possible warranty coverage is in the cards. Hopefully your spoiler and amp mods are not the cause. If you're handy and want to check, pull the trunk lid liner and make sure the light is plugged in along with pulling the body lamp assembly to check there as well. You might get lucky - just be gentle.

Follow-up question - do the rear turn signals, brake and backup lights still work on the affected side?

Reactions: jensight

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think that the problem is in one of their connectors. Somewhere there is no contact. It is worth re-connect the connectors on the rear lights (which do not work) and see if all the connectors come to the body control unit (bottom left under the dashboard).
and you need to check the fuse B16 (10A, see picture)

And it's better to go to the Honda - let them look.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I swapped out the driver and passenger sides and only the passenger side works. So the taillight assemblies are fine. The brake lights work on both lights (including the spoiler), turn signals work, backup lights work, just the nighttime running lights not working on the driver side. It’s definitely acting like a fuse is blown somewhere. Guess I will have to take it to the dealer. I could not locate a service manual for the 2022 or any for that model generation.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I swapped out the driver and passenger sides and only the passenger side works. So the taillight assemblies are fine. The brake lights work on both lights (including the spoiler), turn signals work, backup lights work, just the nighttime running lights not working on the driver side. It’s definitely acting like a fuse is blown somewhere. Guess I will have to take it to the dealer. I could not locate a service manual for the 2022 or any for that model generation.
Weird. First taillight problem mentioned here.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I will get you the wiring print and look into it and offer some thoughts when I get to work. If it is the Honda rear spoiler, I believe that thing has a light on it and may tie into the tail light. Perhaps shorted out draining the current, but this is all speculation. I will look into things when I get a chance.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Okay, the wiring is on the first page. Looks like both the inner and outer light share the same wire coming from the relay control module. Power comes from fuse B2-4, it is a 30 amp fuse. That also powers several other lights, so odds are that would not be your problem.

If you did not touch any the wiring in the system, take it to the dealer. Whether or not to worry about the "aftermarket" stuff just depends on the dealer. Looking at the spoiler wiring prints, it touches nothing that would affect the tail lights as it steals power from the third brake light.

If you want to poke at it yourself, I can find the diagrams of where the three plugs are.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for posting the wiring diagram. You are correct the spoiler light is plugged into the third brake light. Looks like the Honda dealer just unplugged the connection from the third brake light and plugged it into the the spoiler brake light. I followed the wiring for the amp and power is connected to battery (+) and ground is connected to the body (metal in trunk). It's using line level speaker inputs that's tapped into the OEM center sub. It doesn't appear either is tied into the wiring for the taillights. Also, the fuses appear to be good. Going to take it to the dealer for them to fix. Haha ... hopefully it's something as simple as a loose connection although I couldn't find any. Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again for all your help!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
One quick thought came to mind. If memory serves there is a ground point mounted on the inside of the trunk here-ish.

Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Trunk

Maybe they did not put one of the ring terminals through the bolt, or that single wire broke off. You should be able to take a peak in there real quick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well we took it to the dealership and they are saying that the factory subwoofer speaker harness also controls the driver side taillight. They are researching it further and will let us know. Of course they informed me that it’s not covered under warranty.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yup, they are dicks. Rule 1, do not tell dealerships ****. Actually rule 1 is avoid the dealership at all costs, but whatever.

The subwoofer and amplifier might run in the same harness somewhere, but none of the plugs are the same. They do not even use the same fuses, or even the same bus on in the fuse box.

Bring it to Tennessee and I will fix it without the b.s.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not to mention it’s only tap into the sub wires for the line level input signal for the amp (key word input). I will wait and see what they say tomorrow. We have several Honda dealers in the area so I might have to take it somewhere else or just pay the charges. Haha guess it depends on how much they are going to charge.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yup, they are dicks. Rule 1, do not tell dealerships ****. Actually rule 1 is avoid the dealership at all costs, but whatever.

The subwoofer and amplifier might run in the same harness somewhere, but none of the plugs are the same. They do not even use the same fuses, or even the same bus on in the fuse box.

Bring it to Tennessee and I will fix it without the b.s.
Thank you for offering to help. So many dealerships will try to squeeze every dime out of a customer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts