Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda really f'd up!

I've had my Insight about a week now and my wife and I are happy with the purchase. I've seen negative reviews on the car (https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/honda-insight-tries-ultimately-fails-upstage-toyota-prius/) and mostly I don't agree with the list of criticisms, (uncomfortable driver’s seat, engine noise, odd interior design, brand’s push-button gear selector , too low to the ground). But I do agree with one item on their list.

The drivers seat sucks. It's got thin padding, I feel the metal on longer drives, and the worst, there is no lumber support for the seat. And I purchased the Touring edition. I did a 3 hours drive the other day and could feel how uncomfortable the seat was after 45-60 minutes. I find this inexcusable on Honda's part and a recall, warranty, or at least a deeply-discounted aftermarket option should be made available

Does anyone else feel like this, or have other complaints or am I just whining, or both <; ?

Phil

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The drivers seat is terrible. Better padded seat and lumbar support a must. Especially for the higher end trims.

Phil

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have only driven my Insight EX for a 25 minutes drive, so the verdict is out on how comfortable the drivers seat will be on longer drives. I know every seat in every car will feel different to every driver. Head rest, seat cushion, back, lumbar support (or lack thereof), etc. I test drove the Insight about 4 times, and the seat seemed fine to me, but coming from a 2006 Subaru Legacy with lumbar support has me a little concerned on what the future may hold with my Insight on longer drives. I believe that the 2019 Insight, as well as most next gen cars, will simply feel, look, and drive differently than the traditional cars of the past, for better or worse. The only "odd" thing I have noticed in the short time I have had my Insight is a squeak in the exterior door panel (drivers and passengers doors, not the rear doors). When you push on the panel right below the window, the panel seems to flex inward some, and squeaks. Has anyone else noticed this? Happened to come across this when waxing my car today. I suspect every new car will have "quirks", but they may only be quirks because they aren't the "norm" based on our prior experiences with past cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
It has lumbar support, it's just not adjustable. I've had mine since July and have taken it on a few long trips and it's been fairly comfortable. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Could always look into some aftermarket seat covers/cushions for some relief in the interim. If its not something that's widely complained about, I don't know if Honda will issue a recall for it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The drivers seat sucks. It's got thin padding, I feel the metal on longer drives, and the worst, there is no lumber support for the seat. And I purchased the Touring edition. I did a 3 hours drive the other day and could feel how uncomfortable the seat was after 45-60 minutes. I find this inexcusable on Honda's part and a recall, warranty, or at least a deeply-discounted aftermarket option should be made available

Does anyone else feel like this, or have other complaints or am I just whining, or both <; ?

Phil
Purchased my EX at the end of July when they first came to dealer lots. Have over 10,000 miles on it, mostly highway miles traveling from Washington state to Midwest and Texas a couple of times. No problem with the driver's seat. I find it reasonably comfortable. I'm 5'10" and 185 lbs, all average. I've driven up to 600 miles in one day and no complaints here.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It has lumbar support, it's just not adjustable. I've had mine since July and have taken it on a few long trips and it's been fairly comfortable. I have no complaints.
Good point. The Insight does have lumbar support, it just isn't adjustable as you note. I'm average height/build, so I suspect I should be fine in it.

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
I drive 100 miles a day R/T to work. After 8,200 miles, I find the driver's seat no less comfortable than the 1999 Civic I upgraded from. It's even a little more comfortable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I drove about a thousand miles so far and some of it were 2-3 hr long trips, and I didn't feel uncomfortable with the driver seat, though I am still seeking ways to improve my mpg, don't know why but I've been getting around 44mpg with a very careful driving habits + mostly on eco mode (60-70 percent highway 30-40 percent city)

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I was shopping the Insight, the lumbar was one of the main reasons to consider. Having a 2010 Civic, I find the seats just fine, they seem to have a built in Lumbar as the Civic had, in my opinion. The button shifter is great, the interior, I get compliments all the time, engine noise, well it is new technology and this is the way it works. :smile_big:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've personally never found a need for adjustable lumbar, but I do agree that the Insight driver's seat does have a lack of cushioning compared to my previous car, a 2004 Acura TSX. The two things I miss from that TSX are the sunglasses holder and the driver's seat that was more adjustable and way more comfortable. I've driven that TSX several times for 12 or more hours in a day on long trips and it felt amazing the entire time, never uncomfortable in the least. I don't know if I would feel the same way with the Insight seat, but I am adjusting to it and it is feeling more comfortable to me as I get used to the difference.

·
Registered
91 Posts
pcsailor:

I completely agree with you about the seating in the Insight and I contributed to a thread on this site (back in July) when I lodged my complaint about it. That issue was the single biggest complaint/ obstacle to me purchasing the car in July. That being said...I purchased a wedge seat cushion and lumbar support solely to keep this car in play during my test drive phase (when considering a couple of different cars). Both executive cushions/ supports imported from Canada cost close to $400 total, but completely compensated for the weak drivers seat. I know that pricing is truly outrageous, but it also made the difference between choosing this car and a less desirable one. The wedge cushion in particular adds approximately three inches in height to the middle to rear sections of the drivers seat - which is great. I am now in a properly ergonomic position - a slight overall downward incline from torso to knees. So much better than sitting in the Insight's driver seat without the cushions - which would have been a slight upward incline from torso/ rear section of drivers seat to knees. For those who are curious, here is the shopping info:

https://www.lifeformchairs.com/wedge-seat-cushion-3/

in addition to...

https://www.lifeformchairs.com/lumbar-cushion/

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
I've read several posts about people being able to fine-tune the seat to their liking. Without a "memory seat" setting on the Touring (8-way), I have to say that I opted for an EX (6-way) because I thought it would be easier to get my seat back in position after having the vehicle serviced or driven by someone else...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all. Good to hear everyone's opinion.

Phil

·
Registered
20 Posts
I felt the same way about the front seat stiffness. In short trips no problem but 1/2 hr or longer, I was bit uncomfortable.
I found this cushion at Rite-Aid for only $29.99, 3" of 100% pure memory material. It's thick and soft so it is hard to get in and out so I would only use it in a long trip.
Once you get comfortable with it, it's like sitting on water.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
I felt the same way about the front seat stiffness. In short trips no problem but 1/2 hr or longer, I was bit uncomfortable.
I found this cushion at Rite-Aid for only $29.99, 3" of 100% pure memory material. It's thick and soft so it is hard to get in and out so I would only use it in a long trip.
Once you get comfortable with it, it's like sitting on water.
Sidebar... but your picture shows really nice, tailored custom seat covers. Can you share details?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought these very nice looking front covers from CARiD, the seat is made by Rixxu. The total price I paid was $97.95, including shipping.
Rixxu, Classic Series Seat Covers. It said these are not vehicle specific and are a universal fit, but it fits perfectly for Insight. The only portion it does not fit is they cover the portion of seat recliner adjusting handles at the side of the seat.
They are very strong and stays on the seat very well. The sides are opened to allow side airbags to work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can't say that I find the seats bad. That said I am leaving tomorrow for a trip from Pennsylvania to Florida. Trip total should be about 2500 to2750 miles. I will let you all know if I find the seats a problem. I have chronic back pain so I may have an issue. Hopefully not.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Purchased my EX at the end of July when they first came to dealer lots. Have over 10,000 miles on it, mostly highway miles traveling from Washington state to Midwest and Texas a couple of times. No problem with the driver's seat. I find it reasonably comfortable. I'm 5'10" and 185 lbs, all average. I've driven up to 600 miles in one day and no complaints here.
I'm with you Ronnie. Purchased mine end of June, recently passed 10K miles. Have had a few trips of more than 3 hours and no complaints about the driver's seat. But what were they thinking with that low passenger seat?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've personally never found a need for adjustable lumbar, but I do agree that the Insight driver's seat does have a lack of cushioning compared to my previous car, a 2004 Acura TSX. The two things I miss from that TSX are the sunglasses holder and the driver's seat that was more adjustable and way more comfortable. I've driven that TSX several times for 12 or more hours in a day on long trips and it felt amazing the entire time, never uncomfortable in the least. I don't know if I would feel the same way with the Insight seat, but I am adjusting to it and it is feeling more comfortable to me as I get used to the difference.
Ah, the TSX! I sold my 2007 TSX with 205K miles. The leather seats were still in superb condition and yes indeed, quite comfortable. I wanted better MPG and a new car, so the downgrade was acceptable. I wish there was an Acura version of the Insight.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts