Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These video reviews show the Japanese Insight EX in dynamic tests done by Kazuo Shimizu, former international race car driver. He puts cars through dynamic safety tests to gauge performance and safety limits, and provides his driving/handling impressions. The tests are independent from the government JNCAP (Japan New Car Assessment Program) testing.

Most testing was done in 'normal' mode for the Insight. I found the "emergency maneuvering" video most interesting, as you can see from the outside how the car responds. The other videos are a little less interesting, but included for completeness...

9/20 Emergency manuevering (double lane change @ 43 mph) = 4.5 star rating
- PROS: Stable and responsive handling, no understeer, auto braking manages speed
- CONS: Lack of passenger stability in seat during maneuvers
- [0:00 to 2:23] - www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lum7wriWoGk

9/17 High speed handling (straightness & stability testing) = 4.0 star rating
- PROS: Quiet, low road noise, light steering feel
- CONS: Needs better centering
- [0:00 to 2:52] - www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDJ-kzf1Kyo

9/3 Acceleration (0 mph to 62 mph) = 4.0 star rating
- PROS: Quiet and smooth acceleration for a hybrid (9.6 sec normal)
- CONS: Needs gas engine for extra power
- [0:00 to 2:57] - www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0xIjlu0358

9/13 Deceleration (62 mph to 0 mph) = 3.0 star rating
- PROS: Good, accurate braking force
- CONS: Bad smell after braking
- [0:00 to 1:44] - www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf45tHZr4GQ

·
Super Moderator
2,344 Posts
I noticed on both cars(Insight & Puegeot) the hazard lights come on when they panic brake. Is this unique to cars in Japan?

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed on both cars(Insight & Puegeot) the hazard lights come on when they panic brake. Is this unique to cars in Japan?
Yes, the hazard lights in Japan are triggered by emergency braking. I can't read all of what's listed on this "Emergency Stop Signal" page from the Japanese Insight Owners Manual, but the gist is that the hazard lights turn on when the brake pedal is deeply engaged, ABS kicks on, (something) fails, or when the switch is physically activated. It's definitely a feature that's unique to (and standard across) Japanese models.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[Car Freshener - Royal Pine]
Ha, I know! Don't shoot the translator ;) It was funny that the score was so low (3.0 star) and brake odor was the main thing they commented on. They did repeat the emergency stops a few times back-to-back, so it seemed like an extreme case. It also depends on where they were in the break-in process for the brakes, and if the driver was interpreting it as a indication of strength failure:

From Safe Braking:
"There is heat involved when the bad smell is produced, but it is not oxidation or burning. What is really happening is polymerization, or curing. This is a chemical process where smaller units are combined into larger and more stable units. It is like making an omelet.

When heat is applied to the eggs, the omelet is formed. But, in the case of the friction material, the yolk and whites are the resins that hold the pad together. The heat of braking causes the resins to polymerize and form stronger bonds. This is a good thing. The bad thing about this is when the resins polymerize, they create by-products in the form of gases that do not smell pleasant.

The bottom line is that the smell is not a bad thing in the majority of cases for new pads. What is important is that the pad must be heated in a controlled manner. If the pad is heated too quickly or outside a certain heat range, the friction material could lose strength. The gases given off can cause brake fade, but if the pad is broken-in correctly, the gases do not pose a problem and brake fade conditions can be minimized in the future."​

1 - 5 of 5 Posts