Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there is a possible way to get dynamic turn signals for the front like in most Audi vehicles?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,532 Posts
Anyone know if there is a possible way to get dynamic turn signals for the front like in most Audi vehicles?
Of course, anything is possible. It would require the work of a custom shop (if it's even legal on the front flashers) and would very much void any warranty on the headlight assemblies. It would not be a cheap upgrade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah I see, I was just curious as I've seen some companies offering entire headlight sets for like a Tacoma for example with those types of turn signals. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,532 Posts
The Gen3 Insight has a much smaller footprint. It's doubtful you'd find anything like that available off someone's shelf.

Reactions: hs553

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Do you own a Touring (with turn signal lights on side mirrors to also make sequential) or an LX/EX?

The Insight is "kind-of mostly" a Civic body with a "kind-of front end" of an Accord, and many parts from the Civic fit on the Insight... but the Insight's combined headlight + turn signal assembly isn't one of those parts. (And the Insight's design is the best looking of the 3, IMO.)

There are folks on Civic and Accord forums who have installed aftermarket versions. While none of these parts will fit the Insight, it may give you a place to look for vendors who could supply Insight-specific version:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own an Ex, and I have been looking around but so far no aftermarket companies have made any for the Insight. I think I'll wait until something comes along.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am bored enough. Will probably start with buying a couple used tail lights and see if I can make something plug and play for this. Probably will take some time as Honda is not being too friendly with their wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not a happy update, but I purchased these. They are 100% plug and play and the perfect size, however the pair I received were not sequential and on top of that insanely dim. Going to try one more option on the tail light, but probably am going to have to end up making them from scratch. I will try a couple other things first. With the amount of open space with the tail light, plug and play is not going to be a problem.

As for the front lights, which this thread is actually about, I am a bit reluctant to cut into my $700 each headlights and used ones in decent condition are not quite in my price range yet. I am looking at this and if you watch the videos they have, there is some interesting combinations to be made. With the turn signals already being an led board on the front light, plug and play will not be very likely. Stringing something like this on the inside of the light might be an easy tap in. It will all come down to whatever the current led light board looks like when I finally tear into it. Thankfully there is room under the hood by the headlights if they need to be made larger.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Okay, so I finally got around to yanking out the headlights to see what it would take and... someone mentioned $650 for the mod? If that includes removing the headlights... go for it. Abridged version, for my sanity I stopped. They are still in my car.

If you are still interested in front sequential turn signals know that you are going to have to remove the entire front fascia. I mean every last single piece. Looks like they are buried in there worse than on my Challenger and that is saying a lot. I broke the locking tabs on the upper trim piece. They do not appear to be that necessary so I am not crying too hard as a little piece of foam will quiet any vibration that might appear. This car was not designed to be taken apart.

With that said, next month I will probably have it in the budget to buy a couple used lights off eBay and actually figure this out if you are so bold. In the mean time, I found something that works for the rear turn signals. Just need to finish the mounting.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Okay, so I finally got around to yanking out the headlights to see what it would take and... someone mentioned $650 for the mod? If that includes removing the headlights... go for it. Abridged version, for my sanity I stopped. They are still in my car.
Wow... where did the quote for the mod come from? Replacing the whole headlight assembly is the only way to replace burnt out LED bulbs and runs $600+ each per side (33100-TXM-A01 right / 33150-TXM-A01 left). The quote is almost equivalent to replacing one of the assembly sides entirely.

Wholesale replacement kinda fits with what you described, in that replacing the entire assembly rather than individual components is the best (easiest installation?0 course of action if/when front end bulbs burn out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It seems as though I might have had one of those ever so common facepalm moments. The thread about side markers made me take a look at the side of the front end and one could probably get to those 3 "how on Earth do you get to these bolts" that help hold the headlight in from the wheel wells. Coming up on the oil change and tire rotation so I guess I will give it another go then. Still do need to take that top piece of the front fascia off that I broke because it hides one of the mount bolts, maybe that is all though.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
These are interesting plug-and-play parts that convert the GenX Accord rear bumper reflector into a sequential brake light. I didn't find a comparable part available for the Insight, but posting the example here for 'inspiration' and/or possible lead to vendor(s) that can help with similar or related 'sequential lighting' parts for the Insight.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am just a plastic washer away from having plug n play style rear sequentials... I just have to remember when I am in a hardware store. The hurt is about $100 for the pair and they are not the blasphemous red. So video coming soon-ish of how they turn out? I had to do some not so pretty modifications. If things slow down I could pretty them up, but it is not looking likely.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It will probably be easier to see with the sun up, but here the quick, crude rear mock up.

I can pretty it up later, but it is this but flipped around because on the car it was made for the mount is on the opposite side.

·
Registered
195 Posts
So this came in the mail yesterday...

... completely trashed, but I am hoping the electronics still work. For 1/10 the price of a new one I could not find an excuse to put this off any longer. I will probably tear it apart this weekend. Looks kind of easy, but we will see. From the gigantic cracks in the housing I can see that the turn signal is actually mounted to a PCB and uses prisms. So this is easy going to be a cake walk to make them sequential, or a complete overhaul.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is your turn signal...

... out of the five circuit boards {low beam, high beam, side marker, running, and turn}, it is the only one that is glued in place instead of screwed down. What a bunch of jerks. No promises, but it surprisingly looks like it can be modified to be sequential.

With that said, the plug is right behind a cap on the back of your light assembly. it would be so much easier to tap directly into it and run an external strip over it. Maybe something like this. The factory light is 14 inches long.

I will probably bring the board into work sometime after the holiday and play around, but even if I do get this working it would not be something I would want to do again. Best to just get a nice external one if you cannot live without.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts