Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edmunds normally reviews cars individually, but made a comparison of the 2020 Insight and the 2020 Corolla:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/edmunds-compares-honda-insight-toyota-101122753.html

The Corolla's less predictable transition between regenerative and traditional braking was ding'd, with comments that the hand-off gets worse at low speeds.

It's subtle (geez, Edmunds - it's okay to pick a winner), but the Insight is given the final nod because of its "more functional interior, stronger array of features, and superior overall driving experience."

·
Registered
141 Posts
Its says the Honda doesn't have Apple Car Play. Did Honda drop that for 2020 model year? My 2019 has it.
As I read the article, it is not saying the Honda Insight doesn't have Apple CarPlay. Instead it appears to be saying Toyota offers technical support for CarPlay phone integration/connection and Honda does not!

·
Registered
22 Posts
They say "At this base price, the Corolla Hybrid offers a few features the Honda doesn't have, most notably support for Apple CarPlay smartphone integration."

They are only comparing the base trims and the Insight LX does not have carplay but the cheapest Corolla does.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its says the Honda doesn't have Apple Car Play. Did Honda drop that for 2020 model year? My 2019 has it.
As BoozerAlex mentioned, the article was trying to be fair by comparing the base model Insight (LX) to the base model Corolla Hybrid (LE). The Corolla Hybrid is only available in that lowest/base trim.

Their comments are that the 2020 Insight (LX) does not have Carplay standard; the LX only has a 7" "color audio" (non-touch) screen rather the 8" "display audio" that is on the EX and Touring. In contrast, the 2020 Corolla Hybrid (LE) base model does offer Carplay.

Honda has only offered Carplay for EX and Touring trims, in both the 2019 and 2020 model years.

That Toyota offers dedicated Carplay integration support for users is also unique, as LowRider mentioned. They might be trying to help bridge the transition from Entune to Carplay. Toyota's standard had been their (non-intuitive) Entune system, and only recently (18/19 model year) did they start to offer Carplay (and Amazon Alexa). Interestingly, Toyota also offered to retrofit older 2018 Camrys and 2018 Siennas with Carplay (for a fee). I hadn't heard of manufacturers bringing older cars up-to-date like that until this example...

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Corolla hybrid was a bit cheaper when we looked and dealers discounts somewhat better, too. Just couldn't get over the ugly and boring to drive issues that made the Insight feel like an Acura by comparison. Otherwise, decent car, seemed perhaps a step up in quality. Better highway mileage. Similarly good crash test results. A little smaller but not that much. I just didn't see any major benefit other than the cost savings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts