Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night around Midnight my Honda Insight 2019 started displaying a message showing the "Power Brake System Electric Parking Brake system problem? Parking Break not available. Please see you, dealer." And the car would not start, it will only go in accessory mode. My wife had the car parked in a parking deck. She tried to restart the car multiple times, it will display this message and sometimes the software will reboot, another time it displayed a message saying " Brake System Problem, Brake performance may be reduced. See your dealer". My wife was with her friend and they both left the car and took an Uber home. This morning I called Honda and got a towing truck but when I got there my car started working fine. I took it to the dealership regardless because having this issue is dangerous and I don't want me or my wife to be stranded in the middle of nowhere.
The dealership said that they did not see any of these messages in the logs, the only thing they can see the voltage dropped last night below the specs and asked me if I left the car running or left the radio on. The battery life is 100% and there is nothing wrong with the car and this should not repeat and I can pick up the car. They said they can keep the car with them for a couple of days to see if the issue can be replicated but they will not give me a replacement car. I called Honda and they said the same thing that they don't give out loaners and they can't do anything if the problem cannot be replicated. The dealership told me that I'm the first one to report this issue and the logs don't show what I'm talking about.

For reference, the car has approximately 19100 miles on it, I bought it brand new in June 2019, so the dealership said it is covered under warranty but I don't want this to happen to me again later down the line once the warranty expires. What should I ask the dealership and what are my options? Your help is greatly appreciated.

I love this car and it has not given me any problems before but this issue is frustrating, especially when they are acting like I'm taking crazy pills. Attached are the pictures of the error. If nothing I want you guys to be aware of this or at least Honda to notice.

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
Have them test the 12v battery (just an idea). Intermittent sensor freak outs tend to coincide with low 12v battery level.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
You bought the car in June 2019 but what is the manufacture date on your Insight? A few owners got defective 12v batteries and experienced issues with warning lights coming on. You said battery life is at 100% but which battery? Ask them to do a battery health test on the 12v AGM battery if they haven't yet.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just to further specify, I've reported electrical issues twice. Mine included brake warnings, although I was able to start and drive the car. There was a system update done to our car the last time it was in for service. They always check the 12v battery, pull codes etc...

You mentioned that they noticed a low voltage condition, which would explain the non-start condition, and could explain the brake warning as well. Did they just do a simple voltage test, or an actual load test on the battery.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,062 Posts
The Insight will have a seizure with just about any electrical issue. I had wired an aftermarket light to replace my rear emblem which was defective and shorted. I got every warning under the sun in the DII when it happened.

If you've got any aftermarket accessories, phones, do-dads, etc. hooked up, unplug them and see if it helps before you contact the dealer to have the AGM battery tested (and more).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts