Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've thought Honda's plans to electrify 2/3 of its sales by 2030 was inspiring... UNTIL I read about earlier timelines and bigger changes coming from other manufacturers.

Rather than modifying its existing fleet, Toyota plans to launch 6 all-new, all-electric models by 2025; this is 5 years earlier than their prior plan and the 2030 trajectory that Honda is on.

And other manufacturers also look like they'll beat Honda on timing as well:

• GM - Will have 20 all-electric vehicles on the market by 2023
  • BMW - Will have 12 all-electric cars on the market by 2025
  • VW - Will cease all production of combustion vehicles by 2026
  • TOYOTA - Globally launching an all-electric fleet of vehicles by 2025, including 6 all-new, all-electric car models (2 crossovers, 1 wagon, 1 sedan, 2 vans).

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I read that majority of those models are going to Europe and China due to stricter emission rules.

Our main focus will be hybrids, accounting for around half of global sales by 2030.
But there will be growing numbers of BEVs as well, as we target 15 percent all-electric vehicles in that same time frame.
https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-automobiles/releases/release-f14e4d95353ee177f9926a59c700e72e-executive-remarks-from-the-2020-honda-cr-v-debut
Honda will only target 15% BEVs during that time frame. They signed a deal last year with GM to supply next gen batteries that won't go into production until 2021. Honda doesn't seem to be in a rush like Volkswagen to switch to full electric.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda just seems... behind compared to other manufacturers, like a follower rather than a leader. Hopefully Honda will over-deliver on timing and/or models versus 2030 plan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts