Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Emissions / Check Engine Light

29K views 56 replies 19 participants last post by  Mobilcams 
#1 ·
Have 178 miles on a Touring trim and now have this message:

Emissions System Problem
Power May Be Reduced
See Your Dealer

Not a nice message to get at a total of 178 miles. I did check the fuel cap, it does not appear to be the problem.
Message comes on/up every time we start the vehicle.
Going to dealer in the morning.

#3 · (Edited)
Dealer ran diagnostics and pressure checks for 3 hours. They found nothing wrong that is causing the code. They called American Honda to check with them and were told that they had no other info or input. American Honda told dealer that they had no other tests different from dealer.

Code they got during testing was: P04EE Emission System Fault

Dealer said all tests passed so they cleared codes with the hope that it does not happen again. Dealer asked me to return if the error message shows up again.

Hopefully error message won't return.

#4 ·
First week of ownership of my Insight I got TPM messages and tire pressure was good on all four ties , Reset it , came back 2 days later, again tire pressure ok, Reset again came back 1 day later , reset again and has been fine ever since. Now have 5,500 miles and no longer a problem. Anyone else seen this ?

#5 ·
Check Engine Light back on with the Emission System Problem message again. Car has less than 300 miles now.

This will be round 2 at the Honda dealership. If we go a total of 4 rounds without resolution, Lemon Law process will begin.

I traded a 2012 Toyota Prius (that I bought new in 2012) for this 2019 Honda Insight. The Prius never gave me any problems.

I hope I didn't make a mistake trading in my Prius for this 2019 Honda Insight. This vehicle obviously has a glitch and Honda, so far, does not know how to fix it.

#6 · (Edited)
Check Engine Light - Solved?

Back to the dealer this morning. While speaking with the dealer service adviser, I asked about maybe doubling up the fuel cap gasket. Popped the fuel door open and removed the fuel cap. I looked at the fuel cap gasket and surprise, it has a cut/gash in it. Why they did not find that last Monday is beyond me. They probably put it on and made sure it clicked a few times without actually looking at the gasket.

Now I don't know if that is enough to cause the Emissions System Problem error message, but I believe it could be. Dealer said that they will order a new fuel cap and replace. They don't know when they can get one because none are available and on back order.

So i'll have to wait until the new one arrives, is installed, and the error codes cleared again to see if that solves the problem. I'll keep all advised.

Picture of damaged fuel cap gasket attached. The dealer that the vehicle was purchased from fueled it at time of delivery. No other fuel has been put in since then.

Attachments

#7 ·
Gas Cap Replaced

Today's total mileage on vehicle is now 462. Fuel cap replaced and all codes cleared today by dealer. We are hoping that the Check Engine Light does not return.

We will advise everyone soon if the fuel cap replacement works.

As an aside, we could not understand how the fuel cap gasket could get a cut/gash on it to begin with. We have examined the fill pipe for any burrs or anything and did not find anything. We did notice that the fuel door has a bracket to hold the fuel cap when refueling. This bracket has 3 projections that the fuel cap should (and does) easily slide into without coming near the cap gasket. However, if the cap were to be hung on the lower projection, it would be possible to cut/damage the gasket.

We don't know if this is what happened, but nothing else seemed readily apparent. Just be careful of the fuel cap gasket or risk Emission System Problem error along with the check engine light.

#9 ·
Took a trip after replacing fuel/gas cap at 462 total miles. Trip was without incident and ended with 2,054 total miles on car.
The Emissions System Problem error message has not returned and the Check Engine Light has not returned. It seems that the new cap solved that problem.

During this trip we traveled 65 to 75 MPH mostly on flat/hilly terrain, but did also travel through the mountains of WV. This Touring trim vehicle averaged 48.01 MPG. That was for 2 adults, luggage, and a donut spare w/jack and lug wrench.

#16 ·
Added your post to the thread hasarad mentioned and referenced in prior suggestions for your fuel door issue. The fuel system is linked to the Emissions warning message, as mentioned above... so you're likely seeing it related to the prior issues you reported with fuel door. Do you have update on that and/or what you did to resolve, since you weren't interested in having dealer work on it? - e.g. did pushing on the door work to release it? have you had issues opening the door since?

#14 ·
Start by checking your gas cap is secured, and give it a few drive cycles to clear if it wasn't. Otherwise, it's a dealer visit. Believe it ir not, one of our members had a cut in the gasket of his brand-new, never before fueled Insight after a couple hundred miles of ownership.

#17 ·
^
Yes my fuel door won't open when I push the button on the dash. It also won't open when I pull the release emergency gas lever in trunk.

It only opens when one pushes on the gas door while I press the button on the dash (two people).

I'm not paying $469 for a new gas door.

The only way I'm opening the gas door is that I'm prying it open with my fingers!!!!!!

#19 ·
If it's the fuel cap & gas cap seal (that's a easy fix to buy)...but is my 2019 Insight (45k miles) still have Powertrain Warranty?

This error message that pop's up is a "Powertrain issue" correct??
I hope so so they can fix it!
This would fall under "Emissions" issue and associated emissions warranty, which is covered at 3yr/36k in standard coverage states or 15yr/150k in extended emissions states (CA, CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA, DC, CO).

The components and systems for emissions warranty is listed here, and includes the fuel system - https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/2019_Honda_Insight_-_EWPL_APL08356_SIS.pdf

#20 ·
I went to another Honda dealer today and the reason I was getting "Emision Problem" & "Check engine" Warning light was because the actual "Actuator to open the Gas Door" wasn't working. Hence when I press the gas button on the dash- the gas door wouldn't open. Also the gas door emergency lever inside the trunk wouldn't work also.

Total cost to replace "gas door acutator" is $216 w/labor.... Much better then $469 to replace gas door and wires at the other dealership.

I've just been using my fingers to pry open the gas door. As long as the gas cap is pressured sealed, I'm ok with prying gas door with my fingers.

What a hassle it's been driving with the warning lights inside the dash.
For a 1year old Insight TOURING trim- it's been not good for me.

#21 ·
I went to another Honda dealer today and the reason I was getting "Emision Problem" & "Check engine" Warning light was because the actual "Actuator to open the Gas Door" wasn't working. Hence when I press the gas button on the dash- the gas door wouldn't open. Also the gas door emergency lever inside the trunk wouldn't work also.

Total cost to replace "gas door acutator" is $216 w/labor.... Much better then $469 to replace gas door and wires at the other dealership.
Glad you were able to find a dealer who was better able to troubleshoot. Might be worth reporting the inconsistency to Honda... because that seems to be a big difference in probable cause and price. But one other possibility is that the first dealer didn't apply the extended warranty to the pricing, while the second dealer did (?)

If I recall correctly, you commute daily in NY (and CT?). In the post and link I shared above, NY (and CT) are "extended emissions warranty" states where the "Fuel Lid Open Actuator" part is covered up to 15yr/150k. The part cost should be covered by warranty and only labor should be charged for the install. You may want to confirm with dealer that this is the case, or check your invoice to confirm you only paid for labor.

#26 ·
Thanks to you the 150k Warranty emissions was doubled checked. The parts were under warranty and I don't have to pay for it. The only thing I have to pay is the "labor" at $116.00

My Insight TOURING trim is a 2019 with 45k miles on it. The emissions warranty is up to 150k miles. The dealership didn't know that until you mentioned to me. I thank you for that!!!!!😊

#27 ·
That's great news about saving $100 on the part cost... and a good reminder that even dealers in 'extended emissions states' aren't familiar with Honda's own warranties. It's always a 'buyer beware' situation, unfortunately.

Did your conversation with Honda customer service go anywhere, regarding inconsistent dealer troubleshooting, pricing... and maybe even that their dealers aren't familiar with Honda's warranties?

#30 ·
Wow...really? May you double check for me?
I having a fuel door actuator installed. The button on the dash board won't work (fuel door doesnt open)
As suggested in post #23 above, be sure to review both the base warranty and extended emissions warranty parts list so you understand it yourself. The parts list doesn't mention labor is included, but the base warranty manual (below) does. Seems it's yet another topic on the growing list you'll need to take up with Honda Customer Service...

#36 ·
"Emissions System Problem; Power May Be Reduced. See Your Dealer"

Sigh.. this car is starting to give me a headache.

Previously my car had stopped on me, out of no where within the first 5000 miles, I had to get it towed to Honda only to find out the fuel pump has failed even though my VIN was not on the recall list. Power System Problem Do Not Drive

The fuel pump was on back order and It took almost 2 months to get my car back, I have had it back 2 weeks suddenly today I get this Emissions error, I look up online and read on this forums and see that it could be a simple fix by tightening the gas cap, I havent had to get gas in those 2 weeks but checked anyways, nope tight, 3+ clicks.

Then I read another user having issues with the gasket on his gas cap being ripped, so I check mine, nope perfect.

The only thing I can think of now is that the fuel pump was not installed properly or has some kind of leak? The new fuel pump they put in is VERY LOUD, I understand being able to hear the fuel pump turn on and off when you turn your car on and off but this seems excessively loud.

Also the motor seems to be idling higher or just louder in general even when the engine has been warmed up and it wasn't a cold start.

going to bring it to the dealership tomorrow, has anyone else had this issue (with or without a fuel pump change?)

#38 ·
My dealership forgot to order my fuel pump on the day of my appointment but got one in 2 days later. They got it replaced within 30 minutes and 1 month later my car runs like I never had to do the recall. The dealership you service your vehicle at has a big impact on your ownership experience. It sounds like you need to look for a new dealership to service your Insight that is familiar with the vehicle and focus on getting repairs done right the first time.

#37 ·
My car didnt show up on any recall VIN search and even the dealership said it didnt show up any recalls on their system. they ordered the part and it should be here and installed tomorrow so hopefully It will be done by tomorrow.

I will ask them how they pinpointed it was the fuel pump when I pick up the vehicle and asked if they checked anything else, I did mention another user had this issue and it was the SRS and they said they checked that and it wasn't the issue on my vehicle
Did dealer advise how they identified fuel pump needed replacement, even though your car wasn't on the recall list? Maybe troubleshooting addressed the wrong issue (fuel pump) and the real reason for original power/emissions issue is still outstanding?

These are the potential issues Honda lists for the "Emissions System Problem / Power May Be Reduced" message (OM19, pg 87):

#39 ·
I have 35,200 miles on a EX trim and now have this message:

Emissions System Problem
Power May Be Reduced
See Your Dealer

Prior to this, I received a couple messages to check and tighten the fuel cap, I did check the fuel cap but it did not appear to be loose, the messages went away after a day. It seems these messages appeared on very cold mornings and went away as the day warmed up.

Last week I took my car to the dealership to get the software updated for a recall and now a few days later I get this message. Unlike the fuel cap message, the message about the Emissions System problem has stayed and comes on/up every time I start the vehicle.

I'm taking the car to the dealership tomorrow. After reading this post, I'm concerned my Emissions Warranty is about to expire. I hope the dealership do not try to delay repairing my vehicle until I hit 36,000 miles and then they say my warranty has expired. Does anybody know if I'm entitled to get it fix because the problem started before I reached the 36,000 miles?

#41 ·
Prior to this, I received a couple messages to check and tighten the fuel cap, I did check the fuel cap but it did not appear to be loose, the messages went away after a day. It seems these messages appeared on very cold mornings and went away as the day warmed up.
[...]
I'm taking the car to the dealership tomorrow. After reading this post, I'm concerned my Emissions Warranty is about to expire. I hope the dealership do not try to delay repairing my vehicle until I hit 36,000 miles and then they say my warranty has expired. Does anybody know if I'm entitled to get it fix because the problem started before I reached the 36,000 miles?
The fuel cap alert is part of the emissions monitoring, so it could all be related. If the dealer registers it as related / continued issue, you should be covered under the 36k warranty.

Is the gasket on your fuel cap in tact? A couple forum members reported issue with a cut/gash on the gasket, and poor gasket integrity in cold weather. Hopefully your fix is as simple as this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.