Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts
I went to another Honda dealer today and the reason I was getting "Emision Problem" & "Check engine" Warning light was because the actual "Actuator to open the Gas Door" wasn't working. Hence when I press the gas button on the dash- the gas door wouldn't open. Also the gas door emergency lever inside the trunk wouldn't work also.

Total cost to replace "gas door acutator" is $216 w/labor.... Much better then $469 to replace gas door and wires at the other dealership.
Glad you were able to find a dealer who was better able to troubleshoot. Might be worth reporting the inconsistency to Honda... because that seems to be a big difference in probable cause and price. But one other possibility is that the first dealer didn't apply the extended warranty to the pricing, while the second dealer did (?)

If I recall correctly, you commute daily in NY (and CT?). In the post and link I shared above, NY (and CT) are "extended emissions warranty" states where the "Fuel Lid Open Actuator" part is covered up to 15yr/150k. The part cost should be covered by warranty and only labor should be charged for the install. You may want to confirm with dealer that this is the case, or check your invoice to confirm you only paid for labor.

Glad you were able to find a dealer who was better able to troubleshoot. Might be worth reporting the inconsistency to Honda... because that seems to be a big difference in probable cause and price. But one other possibility is that the first dealer didn't apply the extended warranty to the pricing, while the second dealer did (?)

If I recall correctly, you commute daily in NY (and CT?). In the post and link I shared above, NY (and CT) are "extended emissions warranty" states where the "Fuel Lid Open Actuator" part is covered up to 15yr/150k. The part cost should be covered by warranty and only labor should be charged for the install. You may want to confirm with dealer that this is the case, or check your invoice to confirm you only paid for labor.
I will check if I only have to pay for the labor install.

P.S.
Who do I email or call about the 1st dealership? They told me my warranty was expired bc it's (3yrs 36k miles). I have a 2019 with 45k miles so I was expired. That 1st dealership is the most overcharging dealership in my area.

Who do I email or call about the 1st dealership? They told me my warranty was expired bc it's (3yrs 36k miles). I have a 2019 with 45k miles so I was expired. That 1st dealership is the most overcharging dealership in my area.
The base Warranty Manual lists the following phone number for US Honda Automobile Customer Service: 800-999-1009. Be sure to review both the base and extended emissions warranty parts list so you understand it yourself before you need to engage/defend your position during a conversation with Honda. It seems like there are two potential 'complaints' afoot:
  • Inconsistency in root cause evaluation and pricing between dealers
  • Confirmation that your fuel-related part/system issue is listed and covered by the extended emissions warranty in NY
Out of curiosity, how far apart (distance-wise) are the two dealers you went to?

Thanks to you the 150k Warranty emissions was doubled checked. The parts were under warranty and I don't have to pay for it. The only thing I have to pay is the "labor" at $116.00

My Insight TOURING trim is a 2019 with 45k miles on it. The emissions warranty is up to 150k miles. The dealership didn't know that until you mentioned to me. I thank you for that!!!!!😊

Thanks to you the 150k Warranty emissions was doubled checked. The parts were under warranty and I don't have to pay for it. The only thing I have to pay is the "labor" at $116.00

My Insight TOURING trim is a 2019 with 45k miles on it. The emissions warranty is up to 150k miles. The dealership didn't know that until you mentioned to me. I thank you for that!!!!!😊
That's great news about saving $100 on the part cost... and a good reminder that even dealers in 'extended emissions states' aren't familiar with Honda's own warranties. It's always a 'buyer beware' situation, unfortunately.

Did your conversation with Honda customer service go anywhere, regarding inconsistent dealer troubleshooting, pricing... and maybe even that their dealers aren't familiar with Honda's warranties?

Wow...really? May you double check for me?
I having a fuel door actuator installed. The button on the dash board won't work (fuel door doesnt open)
As suggested in post #23 above, be sure to review both the base warranty and extended emissions warranty parts list so you understand it yourself. The parts list doesn't mention labor is included, but the base warranty manual (below) does. Seems it's yet another topic on the growing list you'll need to take up with Honda Customer Service...

I just called the dealership & they told me the warrantable part is free labor too.... I went from $469 to $116...to being replaced at no cost at all & free labor.

Thank you guys for all the research. Amazing!

Thank you guys for all the research. Amazing!
All owners should read the booklets that come with the car. I still read them sometimes to refresh my memory. It has lots of helpful information and in some cases save you a lot of money. :)

As suggested in post #23 above, be sure to review both the base warranty and extended emissions warranty parts list so you understand it yourself. The parts list doesn't mention labor is included, but the base warranty manual (below) does. Seems it's yet another topic on the growing list you'll need to take up with Honda Customer Service...
View attachment 5588
In addition....

You do not have to pay for towing to the nearest authorized Honda automobile dealer if the failure is covered by any of the warranties in this book. ;)

I went to another Honda dealer today and the reason I was getting "Emision Problem" & "Check engine" Warning light was because the actual "Actuator to open the Gas Door" wasn't working. Hence when I press the gas button on the dash- the gas door wouldn't open. Also the gas door emergency lever inside the trunk wouldn't work also.

Total cost to replace "gas door acutator" is $216 w/labor.... Much better then $469 to replace gas door and wires at the other dealership.

I've just been using my fingers to pry open the gas door. As long as the gas cap is pressured sealed, I'm ok with prying gas door with my fingers.

What a hassle it's been driving with the warning lights inside the dash.
For a 1year old Insight TOURING trim- it's been not good for me.
This happened to me 6 months ago~

Got replaced for free

"Emissions System Problem; Power May Be Reduced. See Your Dealer"

Sigh.. this car is starting to give me a headache.

Previously my car had stopped on me, out of no where within the first 5000 miles, I had to get it towed to Honda only to find out the fuel pump has failed even though my VIN was not on the recall list. Power System Problem Do Not Drive

The fuel pump was on back order and It took almost 2 months to get my car back, I have had it back 2 weeks suddenly today I get this Emissions error, I look up online and read on this forums and see that it could be a simple fix by tightening the gas cap, I havent had to get gas in those 2 weeks but checked anyways, nope tight, 3+ clicks.

Then I read another user having issues with the gasket on his gas cap being ripped, so I check mine, nope perfect.

The only thing I can think of now is that the fuel pump was not installed properly or has some kind of leak? The new fuel pump they put in is VERY LOUD, I understand being able to hear the fuel pump turn on and off when you turn your car on and off but this seems excessively loud.

Also the motor seems to be idling higher or just louder in general even when the engine has been warmed up and it wasn't a cold start.

going to bring it to the dealership tomorrow, has anyone else had this issue (with or without a fuel pump change?)

My car didnt show up on any recall VIN search and even the dealership said it didnt show up any recalls on their system. they ordered the part and it should be here and installed tomorrow so hopefully It will be done by tomorrow.

I will ask them how they pinpointed it was the fuel pump when I pick up the vehicle and asked if they checked anything else, I did mention another user had this issue and it was the SRS and they said they checked that and it wasn't the issue on my vehicle
Did dealer advise how they identified fuel pump needed replacement, even though your car wasn't on the recall list? Maybe troubleshooting addressed the wrong issue (fuel pump) and the real reason for original power/emissions issue is still outstanding?

These are the potential issues Honda lists for the "Emissions System Problem / Power May Be Reduced" message (OM19, pg 87):

"Emissions System Problem; Power May Be Reduced. See Your Dealer"

Sigh.. this car is starting to give me a headache.

Previously my car had stopped on me, out of no where within the first 5000 miles, I had to get it towed to Honda only to find out the fuel pump has failed even though my VIN was not on the recall list. Power System Problem Do Not Drive

The fuel pump was on back order and It took almost 2 months to get my car back, I have had it back 2 weeks suddenly today I get this Emissions error, I look up online and read on this forums and see that it could be a simple fix by tightening the gas cap, I havent had to get gas in those 2 weeks but checked anyways, nope tight, 3+ clicks.

Then I read another user having issues with the gasket on his gas cap being ripped, so I check mine, nope perfect.

The only thing I can think of now is that the fuel pump was not installed properly or has some kind of leak? The new fuel pump they put in is VERY LOUD, I understand being able to hear the fuel pump turn on and off when you turn your car on and off but this seems excessively loud.

Also the motor seems to be idling higher or just louder in general even when the engine has been warmed up and it wasn't a cold start.

going to bring it to the dealership tomorrow, has anyone else had this issue (with or without a fuel pump change?)
My dealership forgot to order my fuel pump on the day of my appointment but got one in 2 days later. They got it replaced within 30 minutes and 1 month later my car runs like I never had to do the recall. The dealership you service your vehicle at has a big impact on your ownership experience. It sounds like you need to look for a new dealership to service your Insight that is familiar with the vehicle and focus on getting repairs done right the first time.

I have 35,200 miles on a EX trim and now have this message:

Emissions System Problem
Power May Be Reduced
See Your Dealer

Prior to this, I received a couple messages to check and tighten the fuel cap, I did check the fuel cap but it did not appear to be loose, the messages went away after a day. It seems these messages appeared on very cold mornings and went away as the day warmed up.

Last week I took my car to the dealership to get the software updated for a recall and now a few days later I get this message. Unlike the fuel cap message, the message about the Emissions System problem has stayed and comes on/up every time I start the vehicle.

I'm taking the car to the dealership tomorrow. After reading this post, I'm concerned my Emissions Warranty is about to expire. I hope the dealership do not try to delay repairing my vehicle until I hit 36,000 miles and then they say my warranty has expired. Does anybody know if I'm entitled to get it fix because the problem started before I reached the 36,000 miles?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.