Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts
Prior to this, I received a couple messages to check and tighten the fuel cap, I did check the fuel cap but it did not appear to be loose, the messages went away after a day. It seems these messages appeared on very cold mornings and went away as the day warmed up.
[...]
I'm taking the car to the dealership tomorrow. After reading this post, I'm concerned my Emissions Warranty is about to expire. I hope the dealership do not try to delay repairing my vehicle until I hit 36,000 miles and then they say my warranty has expired. Does anybody know if I'm entitled to get it fix because the problem started before I reached the 36,000 miles?
The fuel cap alert is part of the emissions monitoring, so it could all be related. If the dealer registers it as related / continued issue, you should be covered under the 36k warranty.

Is the gasket on your fuel cap in tact? A couple forum members reported issue with a cut/gash on the gasket, and poor gasket integrity in cold weather. Hopefully your fix is as simple as this.

I have 35,200 miles on a EX trim and now have this message:

Emissions System Problem
Power May Be Reduced
See Your Dealer

Prior to this, I received a couple messages to check and tighten the fuel cap, I did check the fuel cap but it did not appear to be loose, the messages went away after a day. It seems these messages appeared on very cold mornings and went away as the day warmed up.

Last week I took my car to the dealership to get the software updated for a recall and now a few days later I get this message. Unlike the fuel cap message, the message about the Emissions System problem has stayed and comes on/up every time I start the vehicle.

I'm taking the car to the dealership tomorrow. After reading this post, I'm concerned my Emissions Warranty is about to expire. I hope the dealership do not try to delay repairing my vehicle until I hit 36,000 miles and then they say my warranty has expired. Does anybody know if I'm entitled to get it fix because the problem started before I reached the 36,000 miles?
I am aware of at least one instance where the fuel pump recall was done incorrectly leading to EVAP issues at the pump.

Reactions: andrew28
I have 35,200 miles on a EX trim and now have this message:

Emissions System Problem
Power May Be Reduced
See Your Dealer

Last week I took my car to the dealership to get the software updated for a recall and now a few days later I get this message. Unlike the fuel cap message, the message about the Emissions System problem has stayed and comes on/up every time I start the vehicle.

How'd it go with the dealership? Did it get resolved?

I am particularly interested since I am in the same scenario as of a few hours ago... The day after taking my car in for the Fuel Pump recall service, I get the Check Fuel Cap message...I check it re-tightened and later goes away. After a few days (4 days) I get this new "Emissions System Problem. Power May Be Reduced. See Your Dealer" upon startup. I drive around 5 miles shut down, drive 5 miles, re-tighten my gas cap, drive 5 miles back home. Still have this message. It's only been 2 hours and I check back in my car and the message is still there. I may wait a few days but I rather not go back to the dealer to deal with this.

I am particularly interested since I am in the same scenario as of a few hours ago... The day after taking my car in for the Fuel Pump recall service, I get the Check Fuel Cap message...I check it re-tightened and later goes away. After a few days (4 days) I get this new "Emissions System Problem. Power May Be Reduced. See Your Dealer" upon startup. I drive around 5 miles shut down, drive 5 miles, re-tighten my gas cap, drive 5 miles back home. Still have this message. It's only been 2 hours and I check back in my car and the message is still there. I may wait a few days but I rather not go back to the dealer to deal with this.
Take it back to the dealer who did the recall service ASAP. Make sure you have a full tank of gas. A number of other owners have had gas fume leakage after this repair as it's apparently very easy to mess up. Fuel Pump Recall - repair experiences

I've recently been thru this after the fuel pump replacement. In my case, and likely yours, they failed to get the lock ring properly seated. If so they'll need to pull the seats again and redo it. Hopefully they didn't damage the fuel tank.
Product Font Circle Engineering Rectangle

Thanks for the information! I'll make sure it take it to the recall dealer with a full tank!
I've recently been thru this after the fuel pump replacement. In my case, and likely yours, they failed to get the lock ring properly seated. If so they'll need to pull the seats again and redo it. Hopefully they didn't damage the fuel tank. View attachment 7171
Thank you, I'll give that information to the tech when I take it first thing tomorrow morning at my appointment! I'll keep this thread updated. You all have been very helpful and I would like to pass on my situation to those that may encounter this seemingly fairly common problem. Thanks again guys!

Thanks for the information! I'll make sure it take it to the recall dealer with a full tank!

Thank you, I'll give that information to the tech when I take it first thing tomorrow morning at my appointment! I'll keep this thread updated. You all have been very helpful and I would like to pass on my situation to those that may encounter this seemingly fairly common problem. Thanks again guys!
Just had mine fixed properly a few days ago after fighting with them for almost a year..

Update: I've just returned from the Honda Service Center.

I stopped and filled up the tank before hand and pulled up for my appointment. I talked to the service agent and gave them my story. I also provided her those trouble areas that you guys mentioned that has caused issues in the past (i.e. Fuel Tank Unit Cam Lock). After a couple hours of them investigating they decided that they needed to pull everything out and look closer. I left the car there and returned home and told them to take whatever time they needed to get it fixed.

Four hours later they call me and say that they narrowed it down and had to replace the "Fuel Pump Module Gasket" since it was compromised (a small hole or something) and would not seal properly. They replaced the Fuel pump module gasket and re-checked the entire area and it checked good.

I asked if they checked those areas that I had mentioned and they said they did and found it was seated properly.

Well, let's hope that's the end of it...I'll monitor it closely in the next few days.

Just had my Emission System check light come on at 289k yesterday. I had the recall fuel pump replaced at 127k without ever seeing any problems. I’m getting it checked out tomorrow and hopefully nothing too big.

Anyone have any idea what’s the worst that could happen if I keep driving with an emissions check engine light on? Just in case I don’t get an appointment in tomorrow at dealer and have to wait until say Wednesday or Thursday but still need to drive car.

It depends what the light is on for. I do know that a flashing check engine light means stop driving immediately. In cases like that, you'd likely feel/see symptoms of a problem (like shaking or poor idle). A steady light could be for an intermittent misfire, evap leak, etc. Could be anything, so there's no way to know without pulling codes. You can always drop by Autozone and have them plug in and tell you if you want to know ASAP. If it's evap/emissions-related, I'd have no problem driving it - especially if it seems to be performing as normal.

Reactions: rhoneyman
Yes it was a solid emissions check light only. I knew Autozone does free code checks but didn’t know it was compatible with our cars. Your a lifesaver Hasarad! This comes in handy for my future check engine lights.

Looks like I got a p0171 code Fuel Trim System Lean (Bank 1). According to my research, repair is usually under $200 and driving car will rarely damage other components.

Yes it was a solid emissions check light only. I knew Autozone does free code checks but didn’t know it was compatible with our cars. Your a lifesaver Hasarad! This comes in handy for my future check engine lights.

Looks like I got a p0171 code Fuel Trim System Lean (Bank 1). According to my research, repair is usually under $200 and driving car will rarely damage other components.
Poor mixture of fuel. It means either a bad fuel supply (petrol pump, filter, injectors, bad gasoline was caught .....) or excess unaccounted air (the air flow sensor doesn't correctly count, an unaccounted air pod......). There are many reasons that need to be checked.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.