Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 Insight just hit 30,000 miles... This means I am only 6,000 miles away from the factory warranty going away.. My question to all of you out there is this.. When driving in normal mode, have any of you noticed any hesitation at all at low speeds or any speeds for this matter? I want to know what your experience has been in regards to this or do I have an issue.Is this just a normal thing for this powertrain.

An example..... You are doing 20MPH and want to merge into the next lane, you push the accelerator and at first it responds well (for a second maybe two), then hesitates - then continues on after the ICE has spun up enough.. Now I am not talking flooring it or anything, I am talking about a moderate push into the pedal. My commute is mostly highway and city stop and go traffic (so I use my acc) so I do not notice it - but the times where I have been driving manually - something seems off.

In sport mode - it has no issues btw... It's only when I am driving it "normally" no ECO mode..

·
Registered
143 Posts
no nothing like this. the ICE is fairly quick to respond and battery seems to pick up the slack until then. im not far behind at 29k but do almost no city type driving like you describe.

do you know the SoC when this is happening?

is this a recent thing or something suspected related to cold weather?

it doesn't happen in eco or sport? only normal?

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
My Insight has baby-mileage compared to yours... but I haven't experienced any hesitation at any speed.

How long does the hesitation last when you experience it? Are there any other observations on power flow that you've noticed when this happens? Maybe it's something related to how the clutch engages to transition to direct drive - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/19204-post4.html
@Yari described symptoms in the following thread that describes a 'rough transition of power.' Does the description sound similar? - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/3714-transmission-problems-already.html

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
No hesitation when merging onto the highway in Normal mode for me. At least it's not something that I notice...

Reduced Horsepower. If your car does not respond adequately or if you notice jerking movements when you press the accelerator, this could indicate that your engine is not receiving all the air it needs to perform. Since it improves airflow, replacing your air filter can improve acceleration or horsepower by up to 11%.
Dirty engine air filter?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Duh I didn’t even think of that. I will be getting the filters myself (Honda is crazy if they think I’m paying what they want for filters). I will update after i change it. Are the engine air filters readily available now? Last time I looked online out of curiosity and I couldn’t find any.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Duh I didn’t even think of that. I will be getting the filters myself (Honda is crazy if they think I’m paying what they want for filters). I will update after i change it. Are the engine air filters readily available now? Last time I looked online out of curiosity and I couldn’t find any.
Just checked on Amazon and they show one that fits the 2019 Insight for $17.71.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Yes - filter options are discussed in the 'engine air filter' thread - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/564-2019-honda-insight-accessories-add-ons/2780-engine-air-filter-question.html

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
$21.80 w/free shipping from a Honda dealership on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/312633242448?ViewItem=&item=312633242448

The amazon ones are aftermarket not genuine filters from Honda.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
If it was a clogged air filter, the OP would have issues at higher engine loads/RPMs in all modes. the OP is experiencing a hesitation in normal mode only.

the hestistation in acceleration occurs while the electric motor is providing power, because we know the ICE is only direct driving under very specific circumstances, and certainly not at 20mph.

Ima gonna starting speculating myself. hang with me.

the symptoms seems to imply that there is a reduction in discharge rate or available power that only applies to normal mode.

this tells me that the OP must not be hitting a discharge or power threshold in eco due to heavy filter on acceleration and that sport mode bypasses some sort of discharge rate protections. its only in normal mode with discharge rate protections and the right discharge rate where it enforces some limit and causes a hestistation while the computre' recalculates a power strategy.

how about that? prove me right...someone...anyone. its very possible some battery cells will get weak early. its a bathtub curve thing. got to be. haha

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it was a clogged air filter, the OP would have issues at higher engine loads/RPMs in all modes. the OP is experiencing a hesitation in normal mode only.

the hestistation in acceleration occurs while the electric motor is providing power, because we know the ICE is only direct driving under very specific circumstances, and certainly not at 20mph.

the symptoms seems to imply that there is a reduction in discharge rate or available power that only applies to normal mode.

this tells me that the OP must not be hitting a discharge or power threshold in eco due to heavy filter on acceleration and that sport mode bypasses some sort of discharge rate protections. its only in normal mode with discharge rate protections and the right discharge rate where it enforces some limit and causes a hestistation while the computre' recalculates a power strategy.

how about that? prove me right...someone...anyone. its very possible some battery cells will get weak early. its a bathtub curve thing. got to be. haha
Lol, I love the theory - and yes, it is a small but noticeable stumble when I give it gas while driving at a slow speed (~10-15 mph) and it transitions to using the engine power more.. We will know more when I can get a new filter.. I am shopping around as I type this..

·
Registered
836 Posts
A bad spark plug (arcing) could cause this. Generally an arc failure is more noticeable at a set rpm range. Easy to look for ( a brown streak down the white part of the spark plug. Easiest fix besides replacing the plug is applying a small amount of dielectric grease on the white portion (avoid either end).

Air filter restrictions could be enough to throw the base tune off enough, and the o2 sensors pull fuel due to rich condition.

At 30,000 miles, I doubt it's anything more than either. Although another thing to look at is cleaning the MAF sensor if equipped and the throttle body butterfly plate. CRC MAF cleaner, and Throttle body cleaner cans are available as a set at Walmart for less than $10

·
Registered
836 Posts
Also another theory is that you are noticing the "draw" on the system when the car is starting the ICE with the HV battery. Something like a ground, clutch pack adjustment, AGM battery etc. may be at play if the ICE is running optimally.

·
Registered
206 Posts

I agree with you. I did notice what OP is talking about, I wouldn't call it hesitation but maybe "delay". Basically yes, it starts accelerating a little bit, but then the car realizes it needs much more power and revs the engine. This is kind of similar to cars with automatic transmissions.

I think it's kind of silly from Honda because they should provide the power right away, even if it means running the ICE a little longer at the end of the acceleration. My guess is they don't want to ''decouple" the noise of the ICE from the actual acceleration. Or as maynyrd150 said, there is a discharge limit but I feel like that could be easily fixed with some sort of capacitor, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
143 Posts
this is a really small battery pack. think of it as a large capacitor.

when you hit the throttle hard, the car accelerates mildly, meanwhile the battery voltage is dipping. the car runs up the engine to produce on demand volts to maintain the DC bus voltage to make more AC spinny mah go things and then the car shoots forward.

if its this delay that you all speak of, then i know it very well, and those are my thoughts on what's happening.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts