Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on the test vehicle and my own brand new insight that when the engine is running (and car is stopped) it seems to have a miss if running at a higher speed while only charging the battery. I almost want to dismiss this as the characteristics a Atkinson cycle engine might have but it bothers me a little bit. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I noticed on the test vehicle and my own brand new insight that when the engine is running (and car is stopped) it seems to have a miss if running at a higher speed while only charging the battery. I almost want to dismiss this as the characteristics a Atkinson cycle engine might have but it bothers me a little bit. Has anyone else noticed this?
Yes, I'm also unnerved by it, since this type of engine 'stuttering' isn't something I've experienced on other new Hondas. There are a few mentions in this thread: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/740-when-your-insight-manufactured.html

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've put over 10k on the car so far and have noticed that a miss its had since new hasn't gone away in warmer weather. Its 40-50F here finally. I notice it on cold starts and warm restarts. It happens a second or two after starting but then clears up. It doesn't throw any codes, so I've been assuming it was Atkins rejecting winter gas and cold weather.

Has anyone else driving in the north outside of the turd brown areas here experienced this?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I think I've experienced this, and only a few other forum members have reported similar:
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/740-when-your-insight-manufactured.html
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/116-what-kind-issues-you-having-your-insight-8.html

I call it "engine stutter" that happens mostly while idling a few minutes after cold start (i.e. noticeable while waiting at a long light) - then goes away once the engine is warm(er). I haven't noticed it as temperatures are now in the 50s, but it'd happen every ~1 in 5 cold starts during the colder winter temps. Is this similar to your observations?

One thing I wanted to keep tabs on is whether cars/engines manufactured post-Celaya flood (Sep 2018) experience this, or if it is common across the full model year. So far it seems unrelated to production date.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's in line with both of your descriptions. It doesn't happen often and only for a few seconds. I don't think its a problem yet. Just strange to experience on any modern car.

My wild guess is its oil pressure related and the VTEC system can't control the valve timing tightly enough in those scenarios to prevent a misfire.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is this “misfire” strong uneven vibrations being felt shortly after cold starting? If so, then my 03/19 build has this. When the engine turns on for the first time and is cold, the engine seems to put off strong vibrations and shakes some in its mounts. It’s felt through the steering and the floor, particularly when I have the wheel turned completely to one side. It definitely doesn’t feel smooth or normal to me as it feels like something is off balance. Anyone know what “critical engine part” was manufactured in that Mexican facility? Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Is this “misfire” strong uneven vibrations being felt shortly after cold starting? If so, then my 03/19 build has this. When the engine turns on for the first time and is cold, the engine seems to put off strong vibrations and shakes some in its mounts. It’s felt through the steering and the floor, particularly when I have the wheel turned completely to one side. It definitely doesn’t feel smooth or normal to me as it feels like something is off balance. Anyone know what “critical engine part” was manufactured in that Mexican facility? Just curious.
For me - it doesn't happen at each cold start and doesn't last very long (3-5 seconds). I think it's subtle but noticeable vibration. It doesn't occur immediately at cold start - and I'm one who intentionally starts with the ICE on and idles for 30+ seconds for 'warm up' before moving car. I notice it when idling at a nearby stop light/sign within 5 minutes of cold start. I haven't noticed it when the ICE is consistently running. I thought it was winter-weather related, but it happened a couple days ago (same day) at temps of 56F and 63F. I haven't found info yet on what part is manufactured at Celaya.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The first time it happened with me was after a 3 hour trip up north. I was showing off the new car to a lady and we got in and started it. It litterally shook like a jalopy for about 3 to 5 seconds then was fine. I had I owned the car for about a week by then. Needless to say I slept alone that night. 😥

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine is lasting longer then 3-5 seconds, more like 15-30 seconds. Happens only when the engine is cold. Anyone else felt an obnoxiously rough occasional start? Tonight, while sitting in a parking spot for 10 minutes or so with the car on and the AC running, the engine suddenly kicked on with a startlingly rough shake.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is lasting longer then 3-5 seconds, more like 15-30 seconds. Happens only when the engine is cold. Anyone else felt an obnoxiously rough occasional start? Tonight, while sitting in a parking spot for 10 minutes or so with the car on and the AC running, the engine suddenly kicked on with a startlingly rough shake.
When you’re in park that will happen. The transmission is directly coupled to the wheels at that point and the uphill or downhill pressure will transmit to the wheels which will then transmit to the rest of the car. I put on my parking brake before I put it in park if I’m going to be sitting idling. It keeps the pressure off the transmission and keeps the car from shuddering when the engine starts up.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
I've put over 10k on the car so far and have noticed that a miss its had since new hasn't gone away in warmer weather. Its 40-50F here finally. I notice it on cold starts and warm restarts. It happens a second or two after starting but then clears up. It doesn't throw any codes, so I've been assuming it was Atkins rejecting winter gas and cold weather.

Has anyone else driving in the north outside of the turd brown areas here experienced this?
The Honda Insight uses a computer-controlled port fuel injection with multi-hole fuel injectors. Found an article about hybrid engines and it seems to be normal when the engine is cold.
Today’s extremely high-pressure fuel injection systems can sometimes rattle when the engine is running cold, but this usually isn’t a problem. https://www.autobytel.com/hybrid-cars/car-buying-guides/weird-noises-your-hybrid-makes-and-why-126954/

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
quote: Today’s extremely high-pressure fuel injection systems can sometimes rattle when the engine is running cold, but this usually isn’t a problem. https://www.autobytel.com/hybrid-car...nd-why-126954/
I almost buy this explanation... except only a handful of Insight owners consistently see/report this issue here. Most everyone else in forum seems unaffected (or aren't commenting?), which makes the "engine stutter" seem like a spotty issue rather than being typical for the car. Time will tell on this one I guess...?

·
Registered
148 Posts
wow, that was an extremely boiled-down arms-reach article with without any specifics or technical explanations for anything. This is not a rattling, which I think is meant to describe injector ticking or maybe even valve-train ticking which the article doesn't seem to be informed about. We can't be sure because they aren't describing any particular manufacturer or technology.

It may be Atkins related. There are a number of forum posts about Priuses with similar symptoms. I'm just curious why the misfire apparently cant be controlled.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
It may be Atkins related. There are a number of forum posts about Priuses with similar symptoms. I'm just curious why the misfire apparently cant be controlled.
I only notice the 'misfire' when the car is idle but ICE is running and charging battery. I don't notice any of this 'misfire' vibration if the ICE starts while car is already moving. Does this match your experience and/or what you've read on Prius experience?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some of the problems with the Prius I've read about have been related to condensation and oil accumulation in the intake manifold. Solutions were a TSB to replace the manifold with a new design less prone to accumulating moisture and a home-brew solution to add an oil catch can to collect crankcase vapors.

I pulled the intake tube off at the throttle body to look for either of those and saw neither moisture or oil accumulation. I think oil accumulation would be far fetched at this point, but I think condensation could still be plausible. The location I checked is upstream of the intake manifold, so not exactly a great inspection.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I felt this the other day when it was ~55 F outside. I had been driving for about 3-4 minutes. I got to my destination 5 minutes after that, idled while waiting for my carpool buddy to leave the house (no ICE; battery only), and felt it again 2-3 minutes into our drive to work. Then it went away.
@insightfully, I'm pretty sure my manufacture date is one month pre-Celaya, 8/2018. I'll look again when I leave today and post again if I'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I felt this the other day when it was ~55 F outside. I had been driving for about 3-4 minutes. I got to my destination 5 minutes after that, idled while waiting for my carpool buddy to leave the house (no ICE; battery only), and felt it again 2-3 minutes into our drive to work. Then it went away.
Helpful to know other experiences/instances, thanks for sharing. Cold start engine, idling, and varied manufacture date seem to be common themes, along with going away after driving. Will be interesting to read the next follow-up to Car and Driver's observations to get their learnings on what is going on with the engine, if it's cause for long-term concern, and how/whether to address.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
I was hoping they'd provide update on the "lumpy" engine idle mentioned in their May 2019 update, since some us in forum have also experienced. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/153-2019-powertrain-technical-discussion/2332-engine-misfire.html

But it doesn't look like they had it checked at service interval as previously conveyed. Their October 2019 update only mentions that planned service has been easy.

From May 2019 - "One comment in the Insight's logbook noted that the engine's startup was uncharacteristically lumpy, so much so that passengers could feel the 1.5-liter chugging at idle. It smoothed out in a few miles yet has since been noticed on more than one occasion. While it's not so rough as to warrant a separate trip to the dealer, we'll be sure to ask the service techs to take a close look at the Insight's engine mounts when it goes in for its next scheduled service."
This new engine and transmission combination improved fuel economy by reaching maximum horsepower at lower engine revolutions per minute (RPM).
A side-effect of lowering RPMs at low speed or idle is that you increase noise and vibration.
^Maybe this explains it?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts