Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts
Is this “misfire” strong uneven vibrations being felt shortly after cold starting? If so, then my 03/19 build has this. When the engine turns on for the first time and is cold, the engine seems to put off strong vibrations and shakes some in its mounts. It’s felt through the steering and the floor, particularly when I have the wheel turned completely to one side. It definitely doesn’t feel smooth or normal to me as it feels like something is off balance.
I came across this 'engineering' description of advanced engine mounts used on all Honda models including the Insight. So given the Insight's front-wheel drive, it has the standard inertial-axis mounts. Is there any way to tell if the Insight has the other two features... and whether one or all of them can be attributed to the 'misfire' observation when car is idling (?).
  • All front-wheel-drive models have inertial-axis mounts.
    • Honda engineers used computer analysis to determine their optimum location.
    • They effectively control engine vibration over a wide range of engine speeds.
  • An electronically controlled engine mount is used on select automatic transmission-equipped models, which helps damp engine vibrations at varying engine speeds.
  • Another design found on select models is the Honda liquid-filled engine mount.
    • This innovative design uses engine vibration to pump fluid from one chamber to another within the mount.
    • This alters its damping frequency in response to changing engine rpm.

Experienced the first 'misfire' / engine vibration for the season, when ICE started when car was powered on yesterday due to colder (57F) temps. Still only felt it while car was idling, and maybe (?) a little less pronounced than I remember from last fall/winter season.

Since it hadn't happened in so long, I forgot to ask dealer to check this out while in for recent service... and it will be another year (final year of warranty) before I need scheduled service. I'm also not 100% sure how to tell dealer service to replicate (i.e. cold engine, first time ICE starts while idling?). It doesn't occur for me if the ICE is running but the car is in motion (vs idling).

I still hope to answer whether it's a design defect in the engine mount, or just something loose...

EDIT: I double checked warranty documentation, and things like 'engine mounts' and 'engine control module/ECM' fall under the powertrain limited warranty for 5yr/60k (versus base warranty of 3yr/36k)

Experienced the first 'misfire' / engine vibration for the season, when ICE started when car was powered on yesterday due to colder (57F) temps. Still only felt it while car was idling, and maybe (?) a little less pronounced than I remember from last fall/winter season.

Since it hadn't happened in so long, I forgot to ask dealer to check this out while in for recent service... and it will be another year (final year of warranty) before I need scheduled service. I'm also not 100% sure how to tell dealer service to replicate (i.e. cold engine, first time ICE starts while idling?). It doesn't occur for me if the ICE is running but the car is in motion (vs idling).

I still hope to answer whether it's a design defect in the engine mount, or just something loose...

EDIT: I double checked warranty documentation, and things like 'engine mounts' and 'engine control module/ECM' fall under the powertrain limited warranty for 5yr/60k (versus base warranty of 3yr/36k)
Mine does this pretty much every cold morning, I start it with the starter as i am walking out to it and then wait for it to go away before i move the car. Any movement makes it worse. What in the world is it lol?! It scares me bc it sounds like rod knock from a warn motor.

Mine does this pretty much every cold morning, I start it with the starter as i am walking out to it and then wait for it to go away before i move the car. Any movement makes it worse. What in the world is it lol?! It scares me bc it sounds like rod knock from a warn motor.
I wish I knew. Seems to only be in cold weather, didn't experience it during summer. And I'm not sure if it's reassuring (consistent?) or alarming (unresolved?) that after 120k miles, you still experience this issue.

I wish I knew. Seems to only be in cold weather, didn't experience it during summer. And I'm not sure if it's reassuring (consistent?) or alarming (unresolved?) that after 120k miles, you still experience this issue.
Well, whether it's fortunately or unfortunately, something tells me i'll be the first one to find out haha. I tried to send the question to Scotty Kilmer channel but it didn't get seen. I'm hoping it's normal for Atkinson cycle engines. In one of his videos he addressed a question from a viewer with a regular engine and said it is rod knock and means the engine is starting to wear out but it can still last years until it knocks all the time. I learned a lot from that quirky guy's channel!!

Well, whether it's fortunately or unfortunately, something tells me i'll be the first one to find out haha. I tried to send the question to Scotty Kilmer channel but it didn't get seen. I'm hoping it's normal for Atkinson cycle engines. In one of his videos he addressed a question from a viewer with a regular engine and said it is rod knock and means the engine is starting to wear out but it can still last years until it knocks all the time. I learned a lot from that quirky guy's channel!!
Ha, yes - Scotty Kilmer is pretty entertaining and informational. But if this were a common issue, I'd think Prius owners would have complained about it already. Plus all Insight owners (versus just a few) that notice/mention.

Engine mounts sounded like a promising lead from Car & Driver, but they never closed the loop on that before ending their long-term test.

Someone buy a block heater and see if it goes away! I would but I have nowhere to plug it in at all. Plus I am cheap lol. I am wondering if the insight simply doesn't like the winter-blend gas. It has less energy maybe it is engine ping from the slightly higher compression?? Mine knocks every single cold morning, I may try some 89 next few tanks and see if that makes it go away.

Discussion starter · #88 ·
Guys, I am at 57,000 + miles and it hasn't been a real issue, it only happens when the engine is cold and warming up. Other than that the engine is smooth. I wouldn't be worried about it too much.. On another note, I haven't noticed it as much as when my car was brand spankin new.. Still to be honest I wouldn't worry about it as much as I would maybe the dealerships that service your car lol.

It's usually a 30k+ mile interval recommendation for checking valve clearance on a conventional engine. With less uptime on the ICE, the Insight in theory shouldn't need a valve adjustment until well over the traditional interval. Perhaps this is why Honda suggests adjusting on early service timing, if they sound 'noisy.'

Will be interesting to hear what mileage/time interval forum members start seeing sub-code 4 (replace spark plugs, inspect valve clearance).
I have a 2019 Insight EX and I was having a horrible shaking during cold starts as well as most of the time when the gas engine engaged with the transmission and misfires. Gas mileage went from mid 50’s down to mid 30’s. It is less than 2 years since I purchased the car brand new, and I am at 23,000 miles. Under my warranty I took it to the dealer and they claimed to have adjusted the valves and fixed the problem. I’m curious how the plugs look. I’m picking the car up after work tonight.

I have a 2019 Insight EX and I was having a horrible shaking during cold starts as well as most of the time when the gas engine engaged with the transmission and misfires. Gas mileage went from mid 50’s down to mid 30’s. It is less than 2 years since I purchased the car brand new, and I am at 23,000 miles. Under my warranty I took it to the dealer and they claimed to have adjusted the valves and fixed the problem. I’m curious how the plugs look. I’m picking the car up after work tonight.
Welcome to the forum. I've experienced ICE vibration when idling after cold start, but it's only occurred during idle and goes away once the car warms up with a little driving. For the vibration/misfires you experienced in gear, did it occur every time the ICE ran? And (maybe related to fuel mixture in engine) do you know if your car was part of the fuel pump recall?

Welcome to the forum. I've experienced ICE vibration when idling after cold start, but it's only occurred during idle and goes away once the car warms up with a little driving. For the vibration/misfires you experienced in gear, did it occur every time the ICE ran? And (maybe related to fuel mixture in engine) do you know if your car was part of the fuel pump recall?
It was intermittent, but almost went away 100% after the engine was warm. Most of the shaking was on a cold start at idle but we did have a loss of power while driving that got worse little by little. Also they replaced the fuel pump for the recall, as well as well as updating the computer.

It was intermittent, but almost went away 100% after the engine was warm. Most of the shaking was on a cold start at idle but we did have a loss of power while driving that got worse little by little. Also they replaced the fuel pump for the recall, as well as well as updating the computer.
It turns out that a pump problem can lead to serious problems in the valves. It is the state in which the pump works and provides fuel that is dangerous, but it is not enough to form a high-quality mixture (fuel + air / oxygen). The engine computer lengthens the injector opening time to deliver more fuel (higher fuel consumption), but it still does not have enough fuel. This is called a lean mixture. A lean mixture will increase the temperature at the valves. Because of this, valve clearances are reduced faster.

Turns out when the tech installed our new fuel pump last year(as result of the recall) there was a pinched O ring and the fuel pump was sucking in air causing the ICE to misfire

Honda made a research paper discussing the new 3rd gen hybrid engine. Development of 2.0 L Engine for New Accord Hybrid

It does discuss about vibration plus what they did to reduce it but I don't have the technical knowledge to understand it. Anyone can download the research paper by making a free account on the above site.

Also found another research paper where Honda discuss about an engine with compression ratio of 16:1 for future Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid vehicles to meet SULEV20 emission regulations.
Technology for Enhancing Thermal Efficiency of Gasoline Engine by Pre-chamber Jet Combustion

As for the random vibration I wouldn't worry about it if multiple Insight owners here are reporting it. It's either normal or a recall will happen down the road or we can lawyer up as a group.
My 2019 Insight EX has the engine shudder at cold startup. I had a test done and it read clear. I have no idea what it is..it’s sitting at 55k miles now.

The first time it happened with me was after a 3 hour trip up north. I was showing off the new car to a lady and we got in and started it. It litterally shook like a jalopy for about 3 to 5 seconds then was fine. I had I owned the car for about a week by then. Needless to say I slept alone that night. 😥
Did you figure it out man? Mine from time to time shakes so badly when engine turns on to charge the battery sounds like engine is about to fly out the hood! Entire car shakes and can't even take a nap in peace,no signs of blown head gasket and runs fine when the shaking stops

81 - 95 of 95 Posts