Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a shop manual or pic of the plastic cover that’s under the engine? I basically want to know where all the attachment points are. I suddenly have a squeak coming from the front end when hitting any bumps and I suspect the dealer left the cover loose when doing the oil change and wheel alignment. I reached under the car and rapped on the cover and it does appear to be a little loose and rattlely. Since I’ll be crawling under the car with just one jack, I won’t have much space to move around and knowing where the nuts are would be helpful. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
84 Posts
!!! Get a set of jack stands, take it back to the dealer or do something other than depending on a single jack. Other alternatives are much much cheaper than funeral home services and burial expenses for your estate.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
!!! Get a set of jack stands, take it back to the dealer or do something other than depending on a single jack. Other alternatives are much much cheaper than funeral home services and burial expenses for your estate.
Im not worried about jacking it up with my hydraulic one. If necessary, I can jack up the other side with scissors for added safety. Definitely not going to the dealer for a squeak that I can fix and they caused to begin with. Either way, it still won’t be high up like with a lift so knowing the attachment points would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,643 Posts
The cover is not rigid - there is some play. There are two screws (philips) up front and six quarter-turn slotted bolts on the sides and rear of the cover. When re-installing the cover, it's possible the cover wasn't properly clipped in above the two black plastic "forks" which could cause the squeak you hear.

Here's a Civic video - the Insight uses the same belly plate. Go to 0:45 for cover details:
How To: Change the Oil and Filter on a 2016-2020 Honda Civic - YouTube

Be careful working off of a single jack. It only takes a jack failing once for someone to have a bad day. If you can borrow a set of ramps, that would be preferred for safety reasons.

Let us know if you find the cause!

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
42 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@hasarad and @WorldThatHeSees, thank you so much! That was the exact info I needed!! Sure enough it was missing the front center phillips bolt. Went to a dealer. Cost me $2. Squeak greatly reduced although still slightly there with certain bumps. The second phillips bolt didn’t appear to be screwed in all the way as there was a lot of play so I took it off but it’s actually a much shorter bolt. I reattached it but it still has the play…not sure if it’s normal. Anyway, easy fix although annoying that the dealer either left it loose or didn’t put it back on during the work they did.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Reactions: jensight

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
@hasarad and @WorldThatHeSees, thank you so much! That was the exact info I needed!! Sure enough it was missing the front center phillips bolt. Went to a dealer. Cost me $2. Squeak greatly reduced although still slightly there with certain bumps. The second phillips bolt didn’t appear to be screwed in all the way as there was a lot of play so I took it off but it’s actually a much shorter bolt. I reattached it but it still has the play…not sure if it’s normal. Anyway, easy fix although annoying that the dealer either left it loose or didn’t put it back on during the work they did.
Wow. You've bottomed-out at least once based on the damage to the plastic holding the shield. You may want to check the plastic portion of the shield for cracks that may be contributing to the noises you hear. FYI - the two Philips screws/bolts up front should identical. Did you also check all of the quarter-turn slotted screws while you were under there? As for the two bucks for the replacement screw, if the dealer was the only one working on the car, the missing screw should have been covered under warranty - as should the whole issue of the squeaking!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Wow. You've bottomed-out at least once based on the damage to the plastic holding the shield. You may want to check the plastic portion of the shield for cracks that may be contributing to the noises you hear. FYI - the two Philips screws/bolts up front should identical. Did you also check all of the quarter-turn slotted screws while you were under there? As for the two bucks for the replacement screw, if the dealer was the only one working on the car, the missing screw should have been covered under warranty - as should the whole issue of the squeaking!
It looks worse than it really is. Just some superficial scrapes from Florida’s lovely use of rain culverts at raised entrances combined with the soft front shocks that allow the front end to compress too much. Slightly firmer shocks would help here. I did inspect all under there for any looseness or other damage as I’ve dragged sticks hiding in my driveway before (one got jammed in the rear suspension near the exhaust and broke in half when I tried to get it out while blindly grabbing while on knees and than I couldn’t reach the stupid thing without getting close to hot exhaust. A lot of cussing and frustration ensued as it looked like I had to slide under the car a bit to get to it, but miraculously it fell out on its own when I moved the car out of the grass….that was a fun time :confused:). Everything was tight except for the one corner I mentioned with the different sized bolt. You have to tap it decent to get it to make noise so I think it’s ok. It’s possible I’m hearing something else slightly squeak. At any rate, the main noise is gone now.

I went to a different dealer to get the bolt because I didn’t feel like driving to that side of town. I’m sure I could have gotten it for free as only one dealer has ever touched it. The car is out of warranty though, which is why I handled the squeak on my own. Sometimes I choose my battles, lol.

Reactions: jensight

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the chirping squeak is back with a vengeance. With the radio off, it’s maddening! It’s definitely coming from the front of the car. Just an obnoxious chirping noise that resonates with certain bumps. I guess I’m gonna have to remove the whole stupid metal piece and see what’s going on. I’ll probably remove it completely and drive it for a day and see if the noise stops, thus determining if its this piece vibrating that is causing the noise. If it is the problem, I may just leave it off, despite the clean look it provides. I really think it’s that loose corner I mentioned earlier as it sounds like a sharp metal point vibrating against another metal piece.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why is the radio off? Do you not know to eliminate noises you just turn the volume up?
LOL, I turned it off to better hear where it’s coming from. I can still hear it with the radio at lower volumes though. Sometimes I like to just cruise in silence.

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
LOL, I turned it off to better hear where it’s coming from. I can still hear it with the radio at lower volumes though. Sometimes I like to just cruise in silence.
You can try dropping the cover and driving for a few miles to see if the sound goes away. It's time to start ruling out things.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can try dropping the cover and driving for a few miles to see if the sound goes away. It's time to start ruling out things.
Update….took the panel off, squeak still present. :mad: So it’s definitely suspension related. The noise is coming from directly in front of me so it’s on the driver side. When the car was up, I shook the wheel and tapped on stuff but no noise. When it was down, I bounced the car, no noise. At a loss, unless this has to do with the TSB about a rattle from front suspension.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There is a thread here with several reports of front struts leaking. Maybe one of yours went tango uniform? Other than that, seriously, turn up the radio. Nosiest car ever. You will go insane trying to stop them all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts