Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Engine Wiring Harness - rodent damage & repair

9K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  andrew28 
#1 ·
This morning I started my car and it was shaking like a 4 cyl engine with only 2 or 3 cylinders actually firing. I backed out of the driveway and then my panel started cycling thru numerous messages, all telling me to take it to the dealer. Emission system, LKAS, brakes, and more! The radio still works. Tried again a few hours later (and warmer) and it's the same.
2.5 year old 2019 Touring model. Very disappointed. Have a dealer appointment tomorrow.

#3 ·
Have you/dealer checked to see if your VIN is in the BCM Recall? From the numbers Honda shared, it looks like all 2019-2020 Insights are affected. The BCM would affect phantom error messages similar to the ones mentioned.
It doesn't much matter, since I don't dare drive the car very far (dealer is only 1/2 mile from me). I'm sure they'll check it when I bring it in. The shuddering combustion engine is sure scary.

#4 · (Edited)
My problem seemed to be very likely due to this recall issue. However when the dealer's shop looked at the car they discovered that the "engine harness wiring" had been chewed by rats! Yes, that does happen. They tell me this will cost $3K! But my auto comprehensive insurance will apparently pay for (most) of it.
There have been lawsuits against Honda, Toyota and others regarding the use of electrical sheaths manufactured from soy products - rats find these especially tasty. However, the lawsuits have failed.
Only after they replace the harness will they apply the recall update.

#5 ·
My problem seemed to be very likely due to this recall issue. However when the dealer's shop looked at the car they discovered that the "engine harness wiring" had been chewed by rats! Yes, that does happen. They tell me this will cost $3K! But my auto comprehensive insurance will apparently pay for (most) of it.
Sorry to hear, but glad the problem was diagnosed quickly. Did dealer service have any pictures to share, or is the damage visible/obvious?

Unfortunately, other owners have experienced this as you mentioned. Examples from forum mentions:
Honda sells rodent-resistant electrical tape infused with chili as a future deterrent for rodents (part number 4019-2317). It's not the standard material they use in cars, but may want to consider using since you're already looking at replacement.

#6 ·
What is your deductible? Looks like a new engine harness can be bought for under $200. I would assume for most people the cost of parts is less and an engine harness is about the easiest thing in the world to change. But that is my opinion. It is also my opinion with a quote of $3,000 that your Honda dealer is try to bend you over the hood backwards and go in without lube.

#7 ·
If 32200-TXM-A30 Wire Harness (TOURING), Engine Room is damaged, then the cost of a new one is about $ 790.
Replacement work is considered labor intensive and is estimated at 10.5 hours. And you need to remember that official dealers are usually expensive (.

#10 ·
I indicated the price for the engine harness on the site Honda Parts at Honda Parts Now | Genuine OEM Honda Auto Parts
They write the price of $ 1126 minus the discount and it turns out to be $ 790.
True. I only see/get these type of discounted part prices when ordering for myself online for DIY work, outside of dealership. The dealership prices I've seen on invoice start at MSRP for the part (and already include the cost of delivery).

So at the list price of $1126, plus estimated 10.5 hours of labor at $1470, the total easily ends up at $2596. Add sales tax, and the total climbs to nearly $3k. Wow...

#13 ·
I'm covered by my auto comprehensive insurance!
I'm thinking about building a high voltage rat fence that I deploy every night. It would only have to be a wire about 2 inches off the ground. 10 KV transformer should do the job. Doesn't that sound like fun?

#14 ·
That's good news. Insurance will cover 'restoring to base' but what do you think about also 'upgrading' to the rodent resistant electrical tape? That would probably be at your own cost since not 'original' but if everything is already being taken apart, it might be a good time to use...?

#16 ·
The material used for the current Honda wire jackets is soy-based. I think rodents are more drawn to it (versus inert plastic) since it's "food-like." The material is more eco-friendly than plastic, but Honda seems to recognize rodents are attracted to this stuff, since they now make/sell a version of the wiring to specifically repel rodents... yet they don't use it as OEM standard.

#17 ·
At the dealership looking at a the problem I had with my 12V battery, they noticed wire wrap on top of the engine block being chewed and other rodent droppings. They checked and there wasn't any electrical damage yet and suggested covering the wires with electrical tape and spraying with rodent repellent. Picked up a $10 bottle. They also suggested spraying the wheel wells ...I sprayed at the front and the behind each wheel so that they'll smell the repellent before they climb the tire. Supposed to be renewed regularly according to spray instructions...will see whether focus just during the winter or not. (We park in an outside lot).

#18 ·
My car was stuck at the dealer shop for THREE WEEKS to get the wiring repaired. This was due to a battle between the service department and State Farm. Dealer insisted that entire harness should be replaced for $3K. Claims adjuster said that there was a pigtail coming out of the harness that had only 3 wires and a small connector - she said that is all they should replace. Honda "official" policy is only to do a complete replacement - but my dealer could not supply this policy in writing. And Honda apparently does not list the connector as a separate part that service can order. Basically had two assholes on each end who decided they didn't want to deal with each other. Finally got the dealer service manager to step in and say, "you find the connector, we'll do the cheaper repair". So that happened for a mere $1230! I should have taken the money and done it myself.

#19 ·
I think your dealership was taking you for a ride and the adjuster knew it was BS. Read an article a few weeks back about how dealerships are feeling pressure in fixed operations(service/parts department) due to people driving less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.