Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure this is the spot for this since it's not teeeeechinically an issue or complaint, but has anyone noticed their EV button is not as responsive as the other two mode buttons? There have been times that I've had to push the button twice for the mode to engage, which is never an issue with either sport or eco.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Maybe this is what you are experiencing; take a look at your speed when you try to engage EV. If you are 40 MPH or higher when you try to engage the EV button, it will not engage. For me, it only engages if below 40 MPH. Then, until the battery charge depletes low enough, it stays engaged. For very short trips, nothing helps much, but on longer intown trips, it does contribute to an increase in MPG over the long haul.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe this is what you are experiencing; take a look at your speed when you try to engage EV. If you are 40 MPH or higher when you try to engage the EV button, it will not engage. For me, it only engages if below 40 MPH. Then, until the battery charge depletes low enough, it stays engaged. For very short trips, nothing helps much, but on longer intown trips, it does contribute to an increase in MPG over the long haul.
Yeah, it definitely has its uses when I'm running errands in town and doing no more than 30. It's not so much that it won't engage, it's almost that the car (computer?) doesn't recognize that it's being pushed. I don't get the "not available" error--nothing happens. But on the second or so push it engages.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Not sure this is the spot for this since it's not teeeeechinically an issue or complaint, but has anyone noticed their EV button is not as responsive as the other two mode buttons? There have been times that I've had to push the button twice for the mode to engage, which is never an issue with either sport or eco.
Yes, I do have to 'mash' (or long press/hold) the EV button on my car to engage it, whereas the Sport and EV buttons 'instantly' engage. I've just come to accept it as an 'are you sure you really meant to press the button' step from the car; perhaps it's because it goes through more logic and safety checks (e.g. battery status, temperature conditions, etc) than for the other modes. I can't picture an adjustment to this button to make it more responsive, nor would I want that programming liability.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You have to hold the EV button (by design) to activate it.. It may not be documented in the manual like this but it is a press and hold (for about 1 second) to activate. It has never been a instant-on press on any Insights i've driven.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I do have to 'mash' (or long press/hold) the EV button on my car to engage it, whereas the Sport and EV buttons 'instantly' engage. I've just come to accept it as an 'are you sure you really meant to press the button' step from the car; perhaps it's because it goes through more logic and safety checks (e.g. battery status, temperature conditions, etc) than for the other modes. I can't picture an adjustment to this button to make it more responsive, nor would I want that programming liability.
Oh for sure, I'm not looking to change it, just make sure that I'm (a) not crazy or imagining it or (b) stuck with a semi-defective button. Mostly glad to know it's just not me!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think it has something to do with throttle input, like the other two modes, there are certain checks that the car performs before switching modes. Don't believe me? take a sharp turn, hot and try to switch modes. Take a sharp turn, full "regeneration" and the brake lights come on.

If you press EV at a stop, it seems to respond almost instantaneously, while driving, under load you seem to have to hold it. While driving and coasting, it seems almost instantaneous, but sometimes the button doesn't respond because the IPU is already making a powertrain decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts