Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m curious how far you guys are getting out of EV mode. It seems to drain the battery charge within a few miles (maybe 5, max) and I can’t seem to get the charge indicator to full ever. Averaging about 45 mpg at this point. I know it’s not an electric vehicle, and I live in a colder climate. But 5 miles seems a little low.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Honda’s press kit says it will go around a mile in pure EV mode. Thats about what I’ve found too. But I rarely, if ever, use the EV button any more. I just let the car decide when to use it. It will charge to 100%, but needs the right conditions. A long downhill run at < 50 mph will do it. Especially with regen fully engaged. So will idling for a good while with the ICE running.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i get about 2 miles in EV for me, but under certain conditions such as; keeping speed under 25mph and using regen paddle at every stop to help keep the charge going. I can usually get a 90%-100% battery charge by the end of my trips.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I don’t get to 100% often, but when I do I feel like it’s a bad thing because at 100% any further regeneration effort can’t be stored and is wasted.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I did 2.6mi by 32°F weather and I was quite pleased since I thought it could only do 1mi. This was after driving around and going downhill to completely charge the battery. EV mode was on flat road at low speeds.

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
Your mileage may vary (ha) in EV depending on how hard you use the throttle. What speed range were you traveling as 'low speed'?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Your mileage may vary (ha) in EV depending on how hard you use the throttle. What speed range were you traveling as 'low speed'?
Under near optimal conditions I've managed almost 4 miles (didn't measure it exactly) (Same route/checkpoints eco mode 170.2 mpg)

Optimal conditions = under 30mph, no traffic control devices, no traffic, and several downhill sections to help regeneration. If you have traffic control devices, best strategy is to coast to them, and get to them after the light returns to green.

I feel that Honda's range was undersold because it takes into account worst case scenario, and everyone should be able to beat ~1 mile from 8 bars SOC. The key is to keep the needle below the first white bar in the blue section, and coast as much as possible.

Reactions: Moviemike

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello,I have a downhill that runs about 15km (Mexico), I am able to run all 15km on EV mode, with energy to spare, of course it is all downhill.

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
Hello,I have a downhill that runs about 15km (Mexico), I am able to run all 15km on EV mode, with energy to spare, of course it is all downhill.
Do you ever max out the HV battery and hear the gas engine kick on to bleed off extra energy/charge on your 15 km (9 mi) run? - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/5648-post70.html

Or do you have enough flat spots/usage between downhill runs to maximize HV battery charge and EV use? What MPG have you been averaging so far, given your high EV usage?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I do hear the gas engine, when I reached 100%, yes i max out battery everytime I go home, doesnt last much since I use every Amp that it get irght after the downlhill, but I do reach 100% everytime.

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
I do hear the gas engine, when I reached 100%, yes i max out battery everytime I go home, doesnt last much since I use every Amp that it get irght after the downlhill, but I do reach 100% everytime.
What has your average MPG been so far, with high EV usage?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can go 1.2 miles with the EV on full charge driving slowly (as in residential areas with frequent red lights)

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
The most I've gotten is ~5 miles under 'perfect' conditions (full EV + downhill + stop lights + <40 mph driving + warm weather)
Wow! ~5 miles? The best I've ever done is about a mile (with a tailwind)!

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
Wow! ~5 miles? The best I've ever done is about a mile (with a tailwind)!
I just rechecked via google maps which technically says the distance is "4.5 miles." In cooler weather (but all otherwise same 'perfect' conditions), the max I can get is ~3 miles.

I see this on the outbound part of my daily drive and it's kind of a rush when all the factors mentioned above work out perfectly. But I 'pay back' the fuel savings when I climb the hill on the return part of my daily drive.

If only my drive were 'downhill both ways...'

1 - 17 of 17 Posts