Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just got a new insight ex yesterday and after doing some reading it should have 8 speakers. I can only find 6. 4 in front and 2 on the rear deck. Can someone tell me the location of the other 2?

Thanks

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I think the rear tweeters are built into the deck and use the same speaker grills as the other two speakers.
This is correct for the EX 8-speaker set-up, that the rear tweeters are built into the rear speakers. (Similar set-up is used for the mid-level Civic and discussed in their forums.) The LX with 6-speakers loses these two rear tweeters but 'looks' the same because it's all housed in the same rear speaker area.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The tweeters are offset in the deck.. Go inside your trunk and you can see the wires going to the tweeters, just follow the wires from the main speakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried searching Google and within this community and I couldn't find anything, so I apologize if this has been asked a hundred times before.

Is there a factory amp for the EX stereo system? I want to add my 4 channel for my new speakers and would like to disable it if it exists. I don't think there is unless it's built into the HU but I don't know how to figure that out lol

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Is there a factory amp for the EX stereo system? I want to add my 4 channel for my new speakers and would like to disable it if it exists. I don't think there is unless it's built into the HU but I don't know how to figure that out lol
Welcome to the forum. Not 100% certain, but I think it's built into the head unit rather than separate unit (i.e. no
amplifier in passenger kick panel or under center console).

A few EX owners have added amp to the EX audio system, and the following threads may be of interest including wiring diagrams:
- @INSIGHT_OUTTASIGHT : Stereo Upgrade - Adding Subwoofer to stock infotainment
- @romeoog : Stereo Upgrade - How to remove Infotainment and ANC

Also, some comments on adding amp, from Touring owner and audiophile @Verdier : Replace LCD/Radio Headunit on LX

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Not 100% certain, but I think it's built into the head unit rather than separate unit (i.e. no
amplifier in passenger kick panel or under center console).

A few EX owners have added amp to the EX audio system, and the following threads may be of interest including wiring diagrams:

Also, some comments on adding amp, from Touring owner and audiophile @Verdier : Replace LCD/Radio Headunit on LX
Lots of great info here, thanks!

I can't seem to find a definite yes or no on the amp for the EX, which kinda sucks but that's ok. Time to learn how to figure it out myself lol I'll try to post back here with any info I come up with but it'll likely be a slow process.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
719 Posts
Lots of great info here, thanks!

I can't seem to find a definite yes or no on the amp for the EX, which kinda sucks but that's ok. Time to learn how to figure it out myself lol I'll try to post back here with any info I come up with but it'll likely be a slow process.
If it does have a separate amp you probably won't be able to completely disconnect it since the main screen needs to have contact with it for the system to run correctly. If you buy a proper external amp it will send a signal to the Honda amp so it's recognized by the system but doesn't take any action in the amplification of the system. Obviously this helps keep you from over powering the car and also putting strain on an amp that isn't needed for anything else besides interfacing with the head unit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts