Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

EX Pricing

54K views 92 replies 36 participants last post by  ES2021 
#1 ·
Final OTD Price? EX Model? Should I take it??

Hey guys,
I'm located in Phoenix, AZ and have been trying to negotiate the OTD price for a shiny blue Honda EX. Of course they started me the highest as possible at $28,000. Got them down to $27K, then $26K, and now I have two different offers from separate dealers for $25.2K including window tint, trunk tray, wheel locks and another for $24.9 without any of those add ons. These are all OTD prices. I'm wondering if this is the best I'm possibly going to get? Does anyone know what the dealer incentive is to sell one of these cars? I'm guessing it's high since they're newer models but maybe I'm wrong for the same reason. Should I take the $24.9K price? I like pushing things are far as they possibly will go. All the dealers hate me.

PS I'm visiting california for the weekend and am trying to see if I can get an even lower price. I tried using the Costco member pricing and the lowest I got on a stock EX was $25.8.

#2 ·
Camtron, please clarify...by OTD you mean with fees and taxes? If so, your OTD is $25,200??? My OTD with all fees and taxes will be $26,700 tomorrow when I pick up my new car. I had little choice in negotiation because I am in a rush due to (1) my already-expired lease and need to quickly get a car and (2) shortage of EX models w/stainless steel color with black interior in northern NJ. Five accessories I had included in mine.

#7 ·
You are doing well with the Phoenix dealers. I spent most of the week working the Warren Buffet dealers, Bell, Showcase, Arrowhead, Penske Dealers, and the Earnhardt group. They are sitting on the cars according to
Edmunds. 25 days plus. The EX we test drove in Prescott was at 32 days. Anyways, none would budge much below 26k with their add on options. 800+ credit, no trade, big down. End of the month you would figure
they would deal. some were stuck on 26300 even though we had firm written quotes at $25750.

Anyways, don't live in Phoenix, called Flagstaff and am picking it up today. EX, Tint, All weather mats, Trunk Tray, Splash guards, wheel locks, lame paint coating, nitrogen, and going to make them print out that
675 page manual.

25600 otd

I'd take that low offer and make sure you get everything in writing. They are a sketchy bunch, lot's of things missing with the quotes, I went through fleet or so they say. I would have 3 sales people involved all
knocking the price down until the GM got involved.

#8 ·
need help for making decision

I'm new to this forum. I'm looking for some advice.
I test drove Honda insight base model today. It looked fine, I think I'm going to get one. The only inconvenient things are the lack of BSM and the engine noise when pushing the pedal to accelerate quick (to high speeds such as merging into highway). Beside that, it was all good. The ride is fine. It does not give a feeling of driving a HYBRID car.
I'm planning to finance a white one, as I put a lot of miles on car. I'm thinking about getting a deal for the base base model, 2000 down, and 350 dollars monthly (60 months). Is this good deal? do you think it is achievable? I'm in NJ
Thanks

#9 ·
Update

Hi guys,
Heres an update on my car search. So, I ended up going to Superstition Honda in Mesa, AZ after one of their sales guys had assured me I was good to go for $25.2 out the door. This was on Friday. I told him I was out of town and could not come in until Monday. So he said no problem and then on Monday I texted him to tell him I was coming in and he said that they couldn't do the deal because the car didn't exist anywhere. I guess the bright blue is hard to find. I responded that he needed to honor the deal and he stopped texting. Obviously, furious I went into the dealership to talk to the floor manager named Kousin and I said that he needed to honor the deal especially since they ran my credit cause they wanted me to get financing from them as well. He was super super hesitant but I was pissed an he could tell. He kept saying that I would have to wait 3-4 months for the car because they didn't control when Honda would send a new blue to them. I said that was ridiculous and I quote, "If i came in offering to pay $3K over the MSRP, I'm sure you would find a car for me immediately." Long story short I made him give me everything in writing on an order form including 4 oil changes, and the pro pack including window tint, wheel locks and trunk tray and said I don't care if its today tomorrow or a month from now you will honor this deal. I said he needed to call me when he got one in, and he said that they'd probably get one in 1 month. (HE CHANGES the timing all of a sudden?)

Anyways I ended up going to Tempe Honda and got $24.9 for all the same stuff in writing, and just put my deposit down. They didn't have it in stock but said with the deposit Honda would send one in 10-14 days. So much bullcrap from Superstition Honda. I don't know if it was cause it was the end of the month, but I was not impressed with their back and forth on a deal they had made. Never shopping from them ever again.

#11 · (Edited)
2019 EX - Texas

Purchased in Central TX.

Showed up unannounced to a local dealership two miles away and test drove an LX since they didn't have any EXs on the lot. Fell in love with the car, and was shown the EX technology in a similar Civic. Got a price, and told the salesperson that dealership his was my top priority since he took a lot of time with me but I had to shop around the ensure I was getting the best price. I was quoted MSRP saying they're very limited so no dealerships or Honda are offering incentives. They were not forcing any accessories though, I could pick and choose any I wanted ($300 for tint, $99 for locks I don't remember mats or anything else .. I don't care at all about paint or fabric protection or VIN etching). So basically their first offer was MSRP for a plain Insight.

Contacted about five dealerships in the area, all coming back at MSRP or way below MSRP but playing games with forced accessories they refused to budge on. I heard the "all dealerships add these accessories and add paint protection". No, I don't want your $1,500 package of BS paint protection and VIN etching. No, I don't want to hear about how if a bird craps on my car and it causes the paint to chip it's covered. It's not covered due to one of the 1000 loopholes in such a warranty.

I actually drove to one local dealership since the sales guy quoted $24,100 and I was ready to buy then and there but when I get there he acted very surprised at all the added accessories on the car. He swore up and down he thought it was as plain as could be, but it turned out to be a showroom model they wanted to sell for $26,500+ttl. He did seem very apologetic and promised to call when they get more arriving without all the accessories, but I gave up on them.

I expanded my search to Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas contacting various dealerships in that area. I started finding various dealers willing to let it go for $24,000 with no forced accessories. I probably could have pushed some more, but in the end on a purchase this big saving an extra hundred or two is more of a psychological rush than a practical need.

I went back to the first dealership I test drove at that quoted me MSRP and told them what I'm seeing. I did tell them I like the idea of tint, actually, and would get tint with them if they agree at $24,300 with tint included. After a bit of "checking with the manager" they agreed to $24,300 + ttl. A little back and forth paid off $900 or so (if I paid for the tint).

#12 ·
Congrats! I'm in Austin. Not approaching dealers yet but I am looking and learning. (I like the Accord and the Clarity too but I can't plug in). Luckily I'm not in a big rush, so I hope to get a good price by waiting or even a used Insight. Used demo '18 Accords are showing up at dealers, but not any hybrids (rarer and later release date).

I wish there were more Insight int. colors, esp. gray. I'd consider the mocha too as I've had all black leather for years and not a fan of beige. Personally I'd buy no accessories with the dealer's price gouging.
Enjoy your new drive. If you are near Austin I'd be glad to take a passenger test drive!

#13 ·
Just acquired new ex for 23k!

My dealer had a discount for 1k or so so I got the Ex for 23k+ and I got the lowest APR for finance. My parents ended up buying the warranty and the accessories and some brake light function so the otd price was around 30k. I'm loving the new car.

#14 ·
23,000 is a good deal.

What is a "brake light function"?!

What did they charge for the warranty?!

Or, to put it another way, how did you go from 23K to 30K?! 😎

Do post some reports on how your driving experiences are going -- those help the browsers among us who considering buying it!

#20 ·
OTD price of $30k? ****, that's pretty high. Did you get some unique accessories you were willing to pay for?

Honestly it sounds like they gave you a great deal on the price of the car itself but took you to the bank on the warranty and accessories. How much did you spend on the warranty? Is it Honda Care or some third party company? You should really, really consider Honda Care if it's a third party company. Get a quote from a online Honda dealership, I got a 8 yr / 100k Honda Care warranty for my EX for $1000 and no tax.

My EX was $25,300 OTD with no trade in (Texas) and it included tint. The sale price I went with was $23,500 + $300 for tint + TTL. I specifically pushed against forced accessories. Nitrogen tires are dumb and do nothing, paint protection does nothing, undercarriage may matter in areas that snow but here it doesn't so it does nothing, fabric protection can be had for $15. They tried hard to sell me a $3000 extended warranty, but as I said above I was able to get Honda Care for $1000 which is better than some third party nonsense.

#21 ·
My OTD price on the EX (2 days ago in SE Wisconsin) was 24,201 including splashguards, and it ended up being slightly less b/c I transferred plates rather than getting new ones. Obviously not including the trade-in here. Did all my negotiations online and it was SO much less stressful than past buying experiences!

#22 ·
Welcome to the forum! And congrats! That's a terrific price.

I'm beginning to wonder if the OTD prices are trending down, possibly due to lower than expected sales? Out of the blue, one of the dealers I talked to left a message yesterday to ask if I was still in the market for an Insight. I bought two months ago...

#28 ·
I just pulled the trigger on an EX. Here is my pricing (Northern VA):

Base Price: $20,375
Freight: $895
Dealer Prep/Doc: $799

Total: $22,069

In my area all the dealers have this BS Prep/Doc fee. It is really just additional profit. So I consider my price to be $22,069. This is before state taxes and a $40 title fee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.