Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from an older Audi I found it very odd that there's exposed wires and electronics in the top of the trunk. I haven't checked Toyotas/Mazdas/etc, is this common with modern sedans? My only guess is that they wanted to save some weight?

The issue is that you can easily damage something if you are not careful when loading a bigger item. Which I did when loading in my winter tires :). I broke off a small plastic cap, nothing major, but I wish that stuff was properly covered :(.

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
I think this exposed/open area is typical (for all the Hondas I've owned, at least). The components are shielded from rain/elements, so failure in that way hasn't been a problem so far. It does become a risk if items stacked in the trunk are higher/larger than the trunk opening. What was the area covered with in your older Audi, and do you plan to cover it yourself - e.g. hard cover? soft material?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think this exposed/open area is typical (for all the Hondas I've owned, at least). The components are shielded from rain/elements, so failure in that way hasn't been a problem so far. It does become a risk if items stacked in the trunk are higher/larger than the trunk opening. What was the area covered with in your older Audi, and do you plan to cover it yourself - e.g. hard cover? soft material?

I had an Audi A3 hatchback, so it's maybe not the best comparison. But looking online the A4 sedan just doesn't have any cabling/speakers there. They run them on the side of the car and everything is covered with harder plastics.

That's actually one thing that struck me about the Insight, how easy it is to take things apart and access. In the Audi everything is hidden, it took my mechanic a good half hour to access the third light break bulb as it was under multiple layers of plastic.

I do think there's a fuel efficiency angle to this, I just don't have anything to compare the Honda with. My old car is an 06, things might have been different back then.

It terms of protecting that area, I'm not sure, maybe a layer of felt cloth or insulation would do the trick. Just so that nothing gets hooked onto those cables and the speakers are bit more covered.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,333 Posts
I had an Audi A3 hatchback, so it's maybe not the best comparison. But looking online the A4 sedan just doesn't have any cabling/speakers there. They run them on the side of the car and everything is covered with harder plastics.

That's actually one thing that struck me about the Insight, how easy it is to take things apart and access. In the Audi everything is hidden, it took my mechanic a good half hour to access the third light break bulb as it was under multiple layers of plastic.

I do think there's a fuel efficiency angle to this, I just don't have anything to compare the Honda with. My old car is an 06, things might have been different back then.

It terms of protecting that area, I'm not sure, maybe a layer of felt cloth or insulation would do the trick. Just so that nothing gets hooked onto those cables and the speakers are bit more covered.
German automakers prefer that you lease a new car every 3 years in perpetuity instead of owning one for a long time. They over engineer the cars not for reliability but to make it cost prohibitive to maintain.

I think all of the mainstream automakers outside of the luxury brands have the same exposed sedan trunk wiring. If I remember correctly my Ford Fusion and Civic were the same as the Insight.

·
Registered
554 Posts

I don't think there is a fuel efficiency angle on this at all. I think this is pure cost cutting. They could have covered it with trunk carpet and 29 clips atxa cist if maybe $3 a unit. This is a more inexpensive car so less people are surprised by wires showing than someone who buys a 50g car. They expect things to be better covered and hidden IMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Coming from an older Audi I found it very odd that there's exposed wires and electronics in the top of the trunk. I haven't checked Toyotas/Mazdas/etc, is this common with modern sedans? My only guess is that they wanted to save some weight?
Coming from an 2010 Mazda 6 and was shocked to figure out that there's exposed wires and electronics in the top of the trunk!

I initially assumed that this is a defect/planned to go to the dealer next week for a fix (the car is only one month old).

Could someone please confirm that this is indeed 'by design' - see photo attached.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
Coming from an 2010 Mazda 6 and was shocked to figure out that there's exposed wires and electronics in the top of the trunk!

I initially assumed that this is a defect/planned to go to the dealer next week for a fix (the car is only one month old).

Could someone please confirm that this is indeed 'by design' - see photo attached.
Yep, that's by design. During normal day to day usage you won't see it though.

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts

Not sure if this helps or hurts the answer to your question... but ALL Hondas I've driven (dating back to the 80s) have this 'design.' The exposed areas are the only way I've known/seen Hondas to be delivered and they've never caused a problem so I've never questioned it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you - good to know that Mazda also has it exposed!

In general, I love the car.

The biggest disappointment is an loud noise that comes for a short period of time in transient mode (especially going up a steep hill, accelerating/ decelerating).

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
Thank you - good to know that Mazda also has it exposed!

In general, I love the car.

The biggest disappointment is an loud noise that comes for a short period of time in transient mode (especially going up a steep hill, accelerating/ decelerating).
I assume you mean the engine drone noise? Most of us sort of adapt to hearing it that we don't find it as annoying as when we got the car. You shouldn't hear the engine noise when decelerating unless your battery is full and the Insight decides to use engine braking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I assume you mean the engine drone noise? Most of us sort of adapt to hearing it that we don't find it as annoying as when we got the car. You shouldn't hear the engine noise when decelerating unless your battery is full and the Insight decides to use engine braking.
I mean not the 'normal' engine noise at high RPM, but rather a loud noise (as something would resonate inside) that comes for a very short period of time (I would say, rather seconds) under specific driving conditions - difficult to reproduce intentionally.

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
I mean not the 'normal' engine noise at high RPM, but rather a loud noise (as something would resonate inside) that comes for a very short period of time (I would say, rather seconds) under specific driving conditions - difficult to reproduce intentionally.
That's strange I wonder what the other loud noise you could be referring to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's strange I wonder what the other loud noise you could be referring to.
Let me try to record this (will take some time to 'catch' it), but this happens when engine RPM changes rapidly - full, and reverberating resonance sound for a split of a second.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts