Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those wondering what this "longer warranty" talk is all about, follow link below - where we who live in the "b" states mentioned above have a longer year/miles coverage for "emissions-related" warranty items: http://owners.honda.com/documentum/warranty/partslist/2019_honda_insight_-_ewpl_apl08356_sis.pdf
I wanted to add... there wasn't anything special the dealer provided to sign/review to qualify for the extended emissions warranty when I bought the Insight (nor prior Hondas). All that was needed is to register and use the car in one of the listed states. Within one of the listed states, dealer service seems to automatically know and cover.

So if you're in a listed state, the extended emissions warranty should be included even if you don't remember seeing or signing anything on this. But a watchout is that coverage won't apply for people who buy in a listed state (e.g. Pennsylvania), and then register/use in an unlisted state (e.g. Ohio).

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is the Federal Emissions Warranty different from the extended emissions warranty certain states require? Does the extended emissions warranty cover the LED Head lights? I'm just curious after the recent discussion about the extended emissions warranty in another thread.
The Emissions warranties are layered...
- U.S. coverage starts at the Federal level/list first, then
- Certain states get Extended coverages adding-to or exceeding the Federal minimum second.

The Federal Emissions Warranty includes the "High Efficiency (LED) Lights" (p17), so every U.S. Insight's LEDs are included in this first level of coverage at 3 yr/36k. (NOTE: This 3 yr/36k standard Emissions coverage 'sounds' the same as the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, but the Emissions-warranty is called out separately allow for differences from state to state.)

Emissions components receiving "Extended coverage" are detailed in this parts & systems list, side-by-side with the standard Federal coverage. The LED lights are not listed as getting "extra" coverage, so the warranty ends at 'just' the 3 yr/36k Federal limit.

Hope this helps clarify...

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
15 years?! Wow! We only get 8 here. Does everyone in the US get a 15 year battery warranty?
Certain U.S. states (CA, CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA) require Honda to cover an extended Emissions warranty, which includes the high voltage battery. Check out these threads for some of the discussion on extended warranty in certain U.S. states:
- https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/266-2019-honda-insight-range-mpge-economy/2082-real-world-2019-insight-mpg-testing-results-4.html
- https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/2022-high-replacement-cost-led-lamp-assemblies.html#post11244

Haven't seen the Canadian warranty yet, but would be interesting to know if certain provinces have stricter requirements than government regulation as in the U.S.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
15 years?! Wow! We only get 8 here. Does everyone in the US get a 15 year battery warranty?
https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/2019_Honda_Insight_-_EWPL_APL08356_SIS.pdf
^Only the states listed in the B section. I sort of knew my state(Massachusetts) had an extended warranty on the battery before I bought the car but was surprised to find out (from other members here) that it is 15 years instead of the 10 years I was expecting. Plus it has a long list of other things covered for 15 years which I never knew about.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/2019_Honda_Insight_-_EWPL_APL08356_SIS.pdf
^Only the states listed in the B section. I sort of knew my state(Massachusetts) had an extended warranty on the battery before I bought the car but was surprised to find out (from other members here) that it is 15 years instead of the 10 years I was expecting. Plus it has a long list of other things covered for 15 years which I never knew about.
The Extended warranty on the high voltage battery itself is 10 yr/150. Only the systems supporting high voltage battery health/monitoring are covered to 15 yr/150k in the Extended warranty states.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
The Extended warranty on the high voltage battery itself is 10 yr/150. Only the systems supporting high voltage battery health/monitoring are covered to 15 yr/150k in the Extended warranty states.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was seeing 15/150 so much I sort of glanced over the 10/150.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
If you live in a B state it almost doesn't make sense to not get a hybrid. :D

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you live in a B state it almost doesn't make sense to not get a hybrid. :D
Any Honda with a California Air Resource Board (CARB) rating as a "super ultra-low emissions vehicle" (SULEV30) is covered in B states (CA, CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA) by the 15yr/150k extended emissions warranty. The CARB rating is listed in Honda's specs for each vehicle, and includes non-hybrid Honda models like CVT-Accords and all Civic trims.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Looks like I missed out on the free spark plug and engine air filter first replacement on my previous civic. :cry:

Going to ask my dealership for a free engine air filter for my Insight once I’m due and see how they respond...

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I missed out on the free spark plug and engine air filter first replacement on my previous civic. :cry:

Going to ask my dealership for a free engine air filter for my Insight once I’m due and see how they respond...
Optimistic attempt... but seems unlikely they would blend coverage from old warranty to a new vehicle/warranty. It would be something they'd do out-of-pocket and/or good faith, since they wouldn't get reimbursed for it.

The extended emissions spark plug coverage for the Insight (and other Honda SULEV) includes only the first required replacement.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Optimistic attempt... but seems unlikely they would blend coverage from old warranty to a new vehicle/warranty. It would be something they'd do out-of-pocket and/or good faith, since they wouldn't get reimbursed for it.
The Insight also qualifies for first replacement of air cleaner element(engine air filter).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts