Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. One thing thats really bothered me since day 1 of owning the insight is the faux grille on the front end typically where the license plate is mounted... Im not exactly sure what the purpose of it is with the flat surface recessed behind the edges of the bumper with seemingly no aerodynamics... Im really wondering if mounting the license plate at the bottom of the bumper on the other side of the honda sensing sensor where there's also a flat surface with no aerodynamics and creating a smooth transition cover over the grille similar to the mugen mod for the new insight would be worthwhile and increase gas mileage.... Im seriously contemplating creating my own grille..it should be quite simple to do with some aluminum foil and expandable foam to create the mold and design of the new grill, then once I have the shape created from the foam, just use a few layers of fiberglass to finish it off... Then I have the option of doing like an older Tesla model S and do a gloss black wrap or paint it the same body color...

I'm thinking all supplies and all would be near $100 total to make it..im wondering what the overall mpg increase would be with it. I'm thinking if I could get 2-5mpg it might be worth attempting the creation...

What do you guys think?

I also think visually it would be more appealing as the front end would look better..IMHO

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda...

I like the comparison but I'd put a smoother design into the faux grill cover and I'd also move the license plate down to the bottom left in that picture...the other side of the bumper where it looks like honda had room for a 2nd sensing radar but never put one in...

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Honestly, I prefer the (relative) symmetry of the Insight as is, and I think the symmetry helps direct air flow and reduce turbulence (to increase mpg). - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/313-exterior/2598-asymmetry.html

A 2-5 mpg gain sounds 'generous'; my estimate would be less than that (1 mpg if any?) gain, which would be hard to measure given other factors that affect hybrid mpg (e.g. temperature, gas quality).

If the license plate is placed in the bottom left area opposite the radar, will it hang below the bumper and affect the Insight's already-low ground clearance? - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/313-exterior/636-ground-clearance-2.html Or cover a corner of of the A/C condenser intake? - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-2019-honda-insight-user-interface/1998-stone-chip-ac-condenser.html

If you do proceed with the modification, keep an eye on stress points for the attachments and/or rubber material to cushion the license plate. There are also some suggestions on CivicX for replacing the bumper plugs - https://www.civicx.com/threads/diy-license-plate-bumper-plugs.2246/

Your modification will be more centered (across from radar) than on a Civic, but here's a sample picture of mod on a Civic, using their existing honeycomb grill. On Civics, they also cautioned about placing to avoid blocking the horn outlet.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Kinda...

I like the comparison but I'd put a smoother design into the faux grill cover and I'd also move the license plate down to the bottom left in that picture...the other side of the bumper where it looks like honda had room for a 2nd sensing radar but never put one in...
For me personally, I prefer having the license plate positioned in the center. Also you will end up with 2 holes showing up where the dealership drilled for the current license plate location. Well I guess you can find something to plug them up. I'm not sure if you will gain any mpgs by doing this but I'm curious what the final results will look like if you do decide to go for it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
pressurized air will fill those voids when driving and the un-pressurized air in front will swoop over it just like Elons bumper. the cooling openings (inverter, radiator, and condenser) are what is killing the aero.

Source- I scienced once

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would certainly think a flat surface with ridges in it similar to the grille on the insight would prove to be less efficient and aerodynamic than say a smooth rounded surface that allows the vehicle to cut through the air more...it is still displacing the same amount of air since the size isn't changing...it's just plain aerodynamics that should hopefully improve its efficiency...

I think I'm going to start by filling the void where the empty honda sensing sensor would likely go. Yes I'll be killing the symmetry of the vehicle but this is a pretty large void that is a blunt surface trapping air...

It's this on the bottom left at the bottom grill.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Granted the following is just a rendering (but hopefully representative of computer models)... but the way Honda illustrates front-end aerodynamics suggests the flow is already streamlined before contact with the 'flat surfaces' of the front grille / radar / license plate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts