Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of white EX.
Looking at Range and Fuel screen display, there is a blue bar that moves from 0 to 90.
What is that indicating? :sad:

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
It is your instant fuel economy. You want the blue bar as close to 90 as possible for best efficiency.
Obviously it will be lower when using the gas more or before EV turns on (hen it is at the 90) but if you can keep it at 45 or above usually means you’re making the most of your mpgs.

Think of it like a health status bar in video games. Lol. I love the gamification of mpg savings in this car. Congrats on the new car, I also have a white EX. Love my black interior too.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Can I ask where I can see this 675-page manual?

Black interior must be nice. I only had a choice of ivory/black interior and I can see that I will need to cover the Ivory front seat with black cover. My fingerprints alone will stain it eventually, not to mention my black haired Min Pin in the passenger seat.

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
Driver Information Interface & Display Audio

There are several view options available in the Driver Information Interface, some of which duplicate information that can be found on the Display Audio screen (for EX and Touring). Which view(s) do you prefer in each display area and/or find the most helpful?

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Driver Information Interface

Range & Fuel is my default.

The Power Flow view is useful when you're trying to maximize battery usage. I've been trying to turn on Sport mode strategically to charge the battery, per hasarad's tip that having battery before big hills cuts down on the drone of the engine. I also gain insight into my drive by seeing when the car stops pulling the battery.

Eco Drive is neat, but limited. Surprised that it doesn't have an instantaneous MPG meter. In the end I think it's one of those things you use just a couple of times to get a feel for how to drive. In traffic, the other drivers often dictate what is safe or reasonable to do.

I turned off Fuel Economy, Speed & Time, Audio, Phone, Driver Attention, and Traffic Sign. Fuel Economy is too hard to understand on that tiny screen; Speed & Time is not interesting to me; Audio and Phone are over on the Display Audio screen while I'm in CarPlay; Driver Attention isn't something you need constant updates on; and Traffic Sign is duplicated above the gear indicator anyway.

Display Audio

I'm in CarPlay almost all the time. I use Pocket Casts for podcasts, Apple Music for tunes, Apple Maps, Google Maps, and TuneIn Radio for NFL.

When I want to send a text or make a phone call, I hold the steering wheel button to invoke Siri. Occasionally I will review texts through CarPlay, which reads them out loud to me. But when people text you pictures or links, CarPlay smartly leaves them out. So I don't review texts very often.

I'll turn on the Power Flow view when I want to demonstrate to a passenger how the hybrid system works, and I'll use the Trip Computer (similar to Fuel Economy) between and at fill-ups to remind myself how I'm doing.

The Garmin-based navigation on Display Audio is surprisingly solid. I hope this remains useful after the free 5-year subscription expires.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are you watching the power meter, either on the dash or your display> I find having the power meter on the dash helps me alot keeping my foot off the gas and the battery charging.

Phil

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
Personally, as I've been learning the car, I've used "Eco Drive" on the Driver Information Interface, and "Power Flow" on the Display Audio. The "Eco Drive" view is more helpful feedback when the car is in "Normal" or "Sport" mode, since "Econ" mode already suppresses the throttle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just curious what your favorite setting is for the DII screen and why? I thought I'd run across a Youtube video that showed all the menu options and their features, but I'm not having any luck finding it again.

I know some people like the powerflow diagram, but that seems like it would be distracting.

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
Here are a few posts to check out, with perspective on DII preferences:
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/2638-honda-insight-questions.html
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-honda-insight-user-interface/714-driver-information-interface-display-audio.html

I've tried different view combinations and for myself, I've settled on "Range and Fuel" view on the DII (see attachment), and "Power Flow" on the infotainment screen. I initially found it confusing that Honda offers the SAME options to be viewed on either the DII or the infotainment screen, but now regard them as a 'feature' that allows flexibility.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,690 Posts
Just curious what your favorite setting is for the DII screen and why? I thought I'd run across a Youtube video that showed all the menu options and their features, but I'm not having any luck finding it again.

I know some people like the powerflow diagram, but that seems like it would be distracting.
I currently use "Eco drive".

Here's another good option for the DII.

Range & Fuel

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
Range and Fuel snapshot was attached above in post #2 ;)

The Owners Manual lists all the options for DII selection on page 132 (attached), along with page references to show what the screen looks like. Some of these options are duplicated on the infotainment screen.

Here's a quick rundown of the (16!) available options for DII:

1 - Gauge Only: leaves area inside the power/charge gauge empty/blank
2 - Eco Drive: displays a car icon to show how aggressive or fuel efficient your acceleration is
3 - Power Flow: shows how motor / engine / battery are being used as power sources
4 - Range & Fuel: summarizes range, average mpg, instant fuel economy, and trip
5 - Fuel Economy: shows fuel economy for the current and last 3 drive cycles
6 - Speed & Time: summarizes average speed and elapsed time for a trip cycle/setting
7 - Audio: shows audio information
8 - Phone: shows phone information
9 - Navigation: shows turn-by-turn directions (Touring has built-in navigation; EX can use this if car is connected to Android phone)
10 - Traffic Sign: shows larger image of traffic sign captured by camera
11 - Driving Support: shows distance between your car and car ahead
12 - Driver Attention: shows result of car's attention monitoring, which tracks inputs to determine driver drowsiness or inattention
13 - Maintenance: shows remaining oil life and Maintenance Minder
14 - Safety Support: displays state of RDM and CMBS Honda Sensing features
15 - Settings: provides access to menu of vehicle settings/selections
16 - Warnings: shows info messages, or "none" if there are no warnings

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
The PDF I have must be a different edition as the last page is 132 and discusses the A/C and readiness codes. The Eco Drive display looks like a game and would be even more distracting. :D

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
The PDF I have must be a different edition as the last page is 132 and discusses the A/C and readiness codes. The Eco Drive display looks like a game and would be even more distracting. :D
Hmm... I thought you might be looking at the "Owners GUIDE" instead of the "Owners MANUAL" - but the guide only has 75 pages total, while the manual has 675 pages total.

Maybe double check that you have the 'official' of the Owners MANUAL by selecting and re-downloading from this site: https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2019/Insight/manuals

Once you own the car, you can also request a hard copy of the Owners Manual (and other documents) at the following page. VIN number is needed, and request must be made within first 6 months of purchase: https://owners.honda.com/manualrequest/2019/Insight

·
Super Moderator
1,234 Posts
I use "Range and Fuel" with Trip A displayed. My trip A resets at ignition off, so I can compare my daily commutes. I set way-points for my drive and try to beat the MPG number. That, along with the basic power meter around the display helps one drive more efficiently. The ECO meter is great for learning how your inputs affect gas mileage. Once you get the hang of that, you can better be able to do it from feel only. The "Power Meter" display is more of a gimmick that shows you where power is going, but the basic power meter bar gets you a power in / power out feel without all the flashiness.

·
Registered
642 Posts

Go to my you tube channel verdier 400 and in the 5 part review I did on the car you'll find video on all the options on the car dii screen. I made it specifically for people who wanted to know all the stuff the car had before going out and checking it out at a dealer. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmm... I thought you might be looking at the "Owners GUIDE" instead of the "Owners MANUAL" - but the guide only has 75 pages total, while the manual has 675 pages total.

Maybe double check that you have the 'official' of the Owners MANUAL by selecting and re-downloading from this site: https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2019/Insight/manuals

Once you own the car, you can also request a hard copy of the Owners Manual (and other documents) at the following page. VIN number is needed, and request must be made within first 6 months of purchase: https://owners.honda.com/manualrequest/2019/Insight

Thanks for the link. Yeah, the file I had was the guide. Missed that distibxtion or, the actual manual wasn't really available at the link I had found it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I use "Range and Fuel" with Trip A displayed. My trip A resets at ignition off, so I can compare my daily commutes. I set way-points for my drive and try to beat the MPG number. That, along with the basic power meter around the display helps one drive more efficiently. The ECO meter is great for learning how your inputs affect gas mileage. Once you get the hang of that, you can better be able to do it from feel only. The "Power Meter" display is more of a gimmick that shows you where power is going, but the basic power meter bar gets you a power in / power out feel without all the flashiness.
I use the power display on the touchscreen and have the "B" odometer reset after a tank of gas. I have A counting my miles since I purchased my car new. The power display already shows you your current trips MPG so I don't have to have my miles reset for each trip and can actually get an overview of how I am doing on the current tank of gas with trip B.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Eco Drive Display (DII) -- is it useful?

Does anyone use this? The manual states, "The more aggressive the acceleration is, the further the icon moves forward.
The more aggressive the deceleration is, the further the icon moves backward", but the ACC / low speed follow doesn't drive like that at all, and it does seem like regeneration works better with more aggressive deceleration.

·
Registered
836 Posts
ACC/LSF will never drive nice unless you find a conservative Prius/insight etc... to follow.

I have used it in conjunction with sport mode in mountain terrains, to try and keep it as flat as possible.

On flat terrain, it basically just another way to display power flow in a way more related to throttle input.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts