Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it would be a fun change of pace for people to mention their favorite feature of their Insights.

I'll start and cheat right away by naming two!

1. The instant MPG reading on the center console.

It's so satisfying to see at a glance how well the car does — and how well one is doing on a particular drive.​

2. The Speed Limit sign displays.

Minor, I realize, but it's magical, and I get a kick out of it every time.​

·
Registered
836 Posts
Honestly, my favorite feature is the walk-away auto lock. Almost every day going in to work I am carrying boxes, and it makes it so much more convenient to not have to set them all down to lock the car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The welcome chime, power-flow meter, low speed musak, regen paddles and push-button gear shift (I thought I'd hate this, turns out I love it). I also love the built-in safety features not found on non-hybrids. For instance, I have a 2019 CRV and though it has electronic breaking, if you turn the car off while still in reverse, the parking brake will NOT automatically engage. The Insight and Accord hybrids will put the car in park and engage the parking brake.

All 3 vehicles seem to turn off lights if you accidentally leave them on, that is a nice feature too - no more battery drain!!

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
I also love the built-in safety features not found on non-hybrids. For instance, I have a 2019 CRV and though it has electronic breaking, if you turn the car off while still in reverse, the parking brake will NOT automatically engage. The Insight and Accord hybrids will put the car in park and engage the parking brake.
CR-V sidebar... but do you have the auto-parking brake enabled on the CR-V? The CR-V Owners Manual (p524) suggests the parking brake will be applied automatically when the the ignition switch is turned to LOCK/0 position. I don't own one, so just asking for a friend... ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is the parking brake Auto-On a setting? Mine doesn't do that, i have to engage it manually, but would like to have it engage everytime I turn the car off..

Doogie
I was describing what happens if you turn the car off while it is in reverse. However, there is a setting that will engage parking brake when you turn the car off.

p534 User Manual
■ Activating and deactivating the automatic parking brake feature
With the power mode is in ON, carry out the following steps to either activate or
deactivate the automatic parking brake feature.
1. Put the transmission into P.
2. Without depressing the brake pedal, pull up and release the parking brake switch.
- Check that the parking brake indicator (red) has come on.
3. Pull up and hold the parking brake switch. When you hear a beeping sound,
release the switch and within 3 seconds pull up and hold the switch again.
4. When you hear a sound indicating that the procedure is completed, release the
switch.
- Two beeps indicates that the feature has been activated.
- One beep indicates that the feature has been deactivated.
- When you have completed activating the feature, the parking brake will
remain applied after you turn off the engine.
- To confirm that the parking brake is applied, check if the parking brake
indicator (red) is on.

I'm going to try this on all 3 cars tomorrow since I found this video for CR-V and it seems to match what's described above:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ran a few tests.
1. If the Insight is turned off while in reverse, it shifts to park first. The parking brake does NOT engage.
2. Instructions for engaging parking brake automatically when vehicle is turned off works for Insight, Accord and CR-V (2019 versions). I'm guessing the instructions work for any Honda that has an electronic parking brake.

·
Registered
126 Posts
All the standard safety, from crash test results, to automatic emergency braking, lane keep assist, great backup camera, good handling, headlight coverage, etc. Nothing better for a teen driver or any driver that may be distracted for even a moment.

For other stuff, I like the regenerative braking paddles, though they are somewhat unnecessary.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thought it would be a fun change of pace for people to mention their favorite feature of their Insights.

I'll start and cheat right away by naming two!

1. The instant MPG reading on the center console.

It's so satisfying to see at a glance how well the car does — and how well one is doing on a particular drive.​

2. The Speed Limit sign displays.

Minor, I realize, but it's magical, and I get a kick out of it every time.​
I agree, Instant MPG reading and Speed Limit Sign display are among my favorites, but my top two are;

1. Adaptive Cruise Control ACC
  2. Paddle Regen Braking

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
Is the parking brake Auto-On a setting? Mine doesn't do that, i have to engage it manually, but would like to have it engage everytime I turn the car off.
The automatic parking brake 'feature' is activated in a different way than a 'normal' setting selection. Abbreviated summary of steps to do this are:
  1. start with car ON and transmission in Park
  2. pull up the Parking Brake and release (as normal)
  3. pull up and HOLD the parking brake again, then release when you hear beeping
  4. pull up and HOLD the parking brake a third time, then release when you hear two beeps (automatic system "on")
These related threads may also be helpful reference:
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/258-2019-honda-insight-features-equipment/2554-honda-insight-automatic-parking-brake-feature-not-printed-owners-guide.html
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/258-2019-honda-insight-features-equipment/510-how-do-you-stop-your-insight.html
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/566-my-letter-honda/2686-why-does-there-need-parking-brake-button.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
I came from an 07' Nissan Altima so everything is great.

1. Rearview Backup Camera. I know that most cars have this now but my Nissan didn't and its easier to parallel park and backup.

2. Passenger side lane watch. I'm still getting used to trusting this. I continue to look over my right shoulder in case even though the lane watch is accurate.

3. Apple Car play. I can switch songs on spotify with the media control on the steering wheel. I couldn't do this with my old car. I have an iphone 6 and currently waiting for the 11 to release so i can experience the new version of the IOS13 CarPlay! I noticed if you have an older iphone (i.e. iphone 6), apple carplay doesn't connect as well and you might have to replug in a couple times until it recognizes it. I tried with some friends' new phones and it connects instantly.

4. Fuel Efficiency. I refuel about every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks @ around $30 +/- $5 for a tank. Compared to my altima which i had to refuel every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks at ~$60 for a tank. Nissans have large fuel capacity compared to Hondas but the Insight's fuel efficiency makes up for it.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
  1. Regen paddles - I can slow down while still having my foot positioned by the gas pedal
  2. Infotainment - Easy to use and clean design
  3. HVAC - Heats & Cools cabin quickly
  4. Brake Hold - A feature that I never knew I wanted until now
  5. Costco gas + Small gas tank - Makes filling up fast and I can get about 550 miles of range (Paid $2.44/gallon on Saturday). Even the person behind me at Costco is happy that I'm in and out so quick.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
Aside from the proximity key, my hands-down favorite 'feature' is the exterior styling that doesn't shout "hybrid."

That I can get amazing mpg and still drive a sporty/sophisticated well-styled car puts a smile on my face daily when I roll out of the driveway and drive past the gas stations.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Aside from the proximity key, my hands-down favorite 'feature' is the exterior styling that doesn't shout "hybrid."

That I can get amazing mpg and still drive a sporty/sophisticated well-styled car puts a smile on my face daily when I roll out of the driveway and drive past the gas stations.
While I was waiting in line at Costco gas on Saturday. A guy driving a Black Mercedes Benz was constantly staring at my Insight while he was filling up his car. It could be my EV plates which made him wonder what I was doing at a gas station though.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
While I was waiting in line at Costco gas on Saturday. A guy driving a Black Mercedes Benz was constantly staring at my Insight while he was filling up his car. It could be my EV plates which made him wonder what I was doing at a gas station though.
Kinda like this video about trying to fill up a Tesla with gas? Real or fake, the video still cracks me up... youtu.be/j52odgkRxDs?t=51

·
Registered
24 Posts
Love the proximity auto-lock/unlock! Also, the little welcome jingle that the car greets you with
My wife and I automatically sing "Some Say Love......" when we hear the jingle when we first get in the car and the seat belt isn't fastened yet...:smile:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts