Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
2022 Honda Insight Touring
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fueled up at the gas station, first fill-up 100% me driving. I was disappointed at the first fill-up that yielded 32 or 33 mpg, but I clearly the dealership did not fill the tank. So, this was my first full tank, entirely me behind the wheel.

274.7 miles on 6.157 gallons yielded 44.6 mpg. The trip estimate on the car was 43.7 but a slight variance is expected. I have no complaints even though I didn't achieve the Touring's 45 minimum.

I knew when I purchased the vehicle that the high (city) est of 51 would be difficult to attain. My commute is 2/3 highway on a 70mph expressway. So why did I choose this vehicle?

Well, Central Florida growth is off the charts and my commute home is brutal. Leaving very early for work, I try to keep my speed to 60 to 65 with little traffic. Afternoons, trying to be courteous, I drive 70 to not impede traffic. That said, afternoon commutes do have their grind even on the expressway. I do reserve the idea of driving back roads to work, but time is money so...some day perhaps.

I stayed in regular mode, and did not use the paddles to get a baseline, so 44.6 seems like a good start. Besides, my commute is only going to get longer, and I'll be saving fuel and money irrespective of my fuel economy.

For reference, I was busting my butt to get 25ish with my 2.0T Accord. Rain, construction, or an accident could easy put me back to 22 or 23...not to mention spirited driving to surprise the occasional BMW or Mustang driver 馃槈

Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
There are quite a few variables which will impact the numbers. Other than speed and driving habits, the length of the drive and environmentals play a significant part. If you park outside in the sun, heat will be a factor until the interior and hence, the LION batteries cool down to work more efficiently. As well, longer drives offer more opportunity to increase mileage as the car is at operating temperature with a cooler cabin longer. 45ish isn't bad for highway travel in a touring.

Registered
There are quite a few variables which will impact the numbers. Other than speed and driving habits, the length of the drive and environmentals play a significant part. If you park outside in the sun, heat will be a factor until the interior and hence, the LION batteries cool down to work more efficiently. As well, longer drives offer more opportunity to increase mileage as the car is at operating temperature with a cooler cabin longer. 45ish isn't bad for highway travel in a touring.
Your life time average makes me jealous. Obviously I'm not doing so well. Made several cross country trips.

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
Lots of ac usage on that tank. Not negotiable when the heat index is over 100 lol. Got this on the way home from the station so I'm hopeful.
Same temps here in Boston the past couple of weeks. My current tank is sitting around 43mpg due to AC and some idling with it on. 馃様 Looking forward to cooler temps in the Fall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts